Thread: New Avid MediaCentral is coming Collaboration between Avid and Adobe

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 New Avid MediaCentral is coming Collaboration between Avid and Adobe 
    New Avid MediaCentral is coming Collaboration between Avid and Adobe

By CineD

Article

https://www.cined.com/new-avid-media...vid-and-adobe/

It's sounds like a good move by Avid to keep shows in their ecosystems.
    It also positions Adobe in a better place to further infiltrate Avid's biggest market in broadcast.
    Wether it's a win-win remains to be seen.

How much of this is based on hardware and the cloud might reveal a bit regarding where Avid sees their future.

Brian Timmons
    BRITIM/MEDIA
    If you love comic books please support the GoFundMe for
    Hy Eisman: A Life in Comics documentary

www.britim-media.com
    IMDB

Brian,

I started out with Avid Media Composer with version 2.5, I left at version 8.5.5. Even though many films still use Avid for their final edits, I think Avid was kinda getting a little long in the tooth in their philosophy of how Non-linear editing should be done. I think this was done so that Avid will continue to be relevant in the future. But that's my 2 cents anyway.

I forget the first Avid version I worked on.
    I remember it running on a Mac Quadra 950 and it was the ABVB hardware.
    That system was at the school I attended and it was the only Avid in the whole Media department.
    The system was in pretty heavy use throughout the day and I eventually put a bit of time on it.
    It was easily the most bullet proof edit system I ever worked on. The thing never crashed.
    It was around MC4-5 that I noticed Avid started to truly slip in performance and stability.

I agree Avid is getting long in the tooth and the workflows are increasingly antiquated but they are surviving and those systems are still used to crank out a great deal of content.
    I've worked on many shows (particularly reality shows) where large amounts of footage had to be ingested, organized, synced, edited through various revisions, uprezzed, color corrected
    and laid to tape and I have to say the Avids always came through. Granted there were issues to deal with and the transition to file base was a bit of a mess but the shows got delivered.

With the constant changes in the post world and content creation, I'm genuinely curious what moves
    Avid will make in the coming years.

Brian Timmons
    BRITIM/MEDIA
    If you love comic books please support the GoFundMe for
    Hy Eisman: A Life in Comics documentary

www.britim-media.com
    IMDB

Brian,

I still think Avid's Media Management is still what other NLEs still aspire to. But Unfortunately, every other NLE is catching up. I first started having problems with Avid Media Composer with S-log 3. You would have thought it would just give the option to transcode to some flavor of DNxHD, at the time, but I had to transcode it into ProRes in Compressor when I was still using Mac. And while every other NLE were ingesting Red Raw files natively, I had to "Link to" it in Media Composer. That was ok if you wanted to export an .AAF file to Resolve and finish it there. You could even link back to the original Red .R3D files. However, bringing back the graded footage back from Resolve into Avid Media Composer footage that was already just linked to the original R3D files in the first place in Media Composer, was a real pain in the ass.

I don't know what the workflow is like now with Media Composer, but I can't imagine it being all that different than how I remember it.