Thread: Canon EOS C70

Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Vera View Post
    Thanks for showing me your tests. Though to be honest, I'm not positive how one can compare two cameras fairly using different subjects, scene, lighting, and exposure levels. They both aren't even in the same/controlled environments. At least one of them wasn't. As it is the footage of the C70 was not using DGO since the footage was shot at 120fps and DGO does not work past 60fps as Canon and Rand Thomas have mentioned. Clearly the person who labeled the folders didn't label them correctly, if a 120fps file was under the DGO folder. For now, we can only make our own individual presumptions. As I said, I think both cameras are capable.
    Yup, the first shot might be 120fps, but the chart shot is ALL-I and does seem to be DGO. Still, it grades badly, nothing like c300 mk III. It happened that my fellow owns c300 mk III, I'm going to do a test tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lubensky View Post
    Yup, the first shot might be 120fps, but the chart shot is ALL-I and does seem to be DGO. Still, it grades badly, nothing like c300 mk III. It happened that my fellow owns c300 mk III, I'm going to do a test tomorrow.
    Copy. Once again, from my own tests of DGO and Komodo footage through Davinci, both cameras are very capable and get the job done.
    Motion Pictures and Film Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lubensky View Post
    While it's totally not a bad camera for what it's designed for, to me it is just incomparable to any raw/prores camera on the market, even BMPCC4k in terms of post-production capabilities. You totally can do some basic grades, but I personally won't risk doing a commercial job on C70 - where you have a production house, client, agency etc.
    You have no idea what you are talking about. The quality difference between all these cameras in this range are negligible. Any DP with experience can deliver commercial level footage from any of these cameras if they are familiar with the camera. You have great work on your site btw but very noisey, so I'm surprised you have this attitude.

Thanks for the link to the footage Rand.

Here's a dark, contrasty grade - https://youtu.be/3eK26eS9srI

FWIW I think the overall image quality is alright, but you'd really want to be careful to shoot within the camera's limits.

You're welcome Les! and I like your darker take on the grade.

Yeah, I think as with every camera you have to know both it's strengths and weaknesses. I think people seem to forget that this is a 8.85 Megapixel sensor 4K DCI camera with a NON-Raw recording format and a 8.29 Megapixel camera in 4K UHD. It's not going to have the resolving power for fine detail as a 19.91 Megapixel 6K Red Komodo that records in a compress Raw Codec or a 35 Megapixel 8K Red Monstro or Red Helium.

So It's always best to do extensive tests to know how to get the best out of a camera in all situations.
    Last edited by rand thompson; 10-01-2020 at 02:20 PM.

Canon C70 New Interface and touch control auto focus test

By 季旭

I wonder what ISO Korro's DGO clip was shot at. I can push Fuji XT3/XT4 HEVC All-I log in camera clips a good stop more AND still have a lot less color noise.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...gU?usp=sharing

Here are two PQ2020 Clips that were added to Korrofilms current download samples. I don't have a calibrated monitor to monitor PQ2020 on. So those who do can maybe post stills of it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/97zahw1ki...8I1TMc7Oa?dl=0

So, I've done some tests of Canon C300 mk III

Here's the exposure meterings using Seconic L558 lightmeter in spot-mode. Meter was set to ISO800 25fps base (1/50):

I've done two tests comparing overexposure and underexposure from +6 to -6 stops and corrected to normal exposure on post - both in RAW and 10-bit XF-AVC Intra in C-Log2. The difference between the two - in the first one ISO was always set to 800 in-camera. On the second one ISO was varied according to exposure change in-camera.

The first test (ISO set to 800 in-camera) - the RAW image was developed only using raw tab in resolve, ISO was changed until possible, after the lower iso limit reached - exposure control correction was added. Both images were developed using Canon official LUT:

Last edited by Alex Lubensky; 10-07-2020 at 03:04 PM.

The second test, ISO changed in-camera according to exposure changes:

It clearly gives the idea of what's going on on camera and sensor level. I'll post my comments in the third post later tomorrow with some more images.

What I'd like to say now - the C300 mk III impressed me in terms of how it's handling in RAW, but the performance of XF-AVC even in C-Log2 in 10-bit Intra is what you're getting with C70. Good, but not so impressive. C300 mk III is clearly in the ballpark of most cinema cameras out there and handling the image quite similar to Helium/Komodo.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt W. View Post
    I don't entirely disagree. I'm not going to buy this camera, but that doesn't entirely correlate with my own experience or with other direct comparisons:

https://vimeo.com/402727266

The spec for Canon Log 2 is +6.3 stops of highlight dynamic range at base 800 ISO, it's either +7.3 or +7.8 stops on the Alexa depending on what generation of sensor/firmware. So yes, that's a +1.5 stop (roughly two stop) difference, but +6.3 stops is still really good and similar to F55 or Red at 800 ISO. I do think Gemini etc. has better dynamic range than a C200, but the DGO here might bridge the gap...
    While you were on-point with RAW DR capabilities, it's not totally true to the XF-AVC DR on the same camera. Have to admit, it's one stop more in XF-AVC then I've expected, but still in the MX range in highlight clipping (+5 1/3).

Still, I stand for my words about C70 - not a competitor to C300/Gemini/Helium/Komodo in terms of DR and IQ, but out of the box and for run'n'gun - could be nice. Just have to be careful with the image recorded.
    Last edited by Alex Lubensky; 10-08-2020 at 02:29 AM.