Thread: PLEASE RECOMMEND A GOOD COLOURIST IN SWEDEN ?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 PLEASE RECOMMEND A GOOD COLOURIST IN SWEDEN ? 
    Hello all,

Just need a little help in finding a colourist in central Sweden ?

We are completing a feature length documentary and I would be very grateful for anyones recommendation ?
    Stockholm longitude is preferable. Göteborg is a little too far away.

Many thanks!

My understanding, that Sweden decided on the Covid-19 herd immunity route, so, I guess, face to face work there is still a common occurrence? In contrast, in many places around the world now, like here in LA, remote collaboration is more common with remote viewing connections and remote approvals. So, taking into consideration recent progress in remote workflow, why not try to explore the pool of available talented colorists around the world?
    Just my 2 cents...
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

https://loebben.com/ would be worth reaching out to. He lives over there and works in that world.

Thank you.

@ Jake: Yes you are right, Sweden has taken a lighter approach to hard lockdown but not because of herd immunity. That's a misconception.
    But I agree with you about looking further afield for a colourist and have started doing that. But it's not ideal, I would always prefer sitting together with that person and discussing shot by shot.

@ Thomas
    Thanks, I'll check him out.

Quote Originally Posted by William Long View Post
    @ Jake: Yes you are right, Sweden has taken a lighter approach to hard lockdown but not because of herd immunity. That's a misconception.
    But I agree with you about looking further afield for a colourist and have started doing that. But it's not ideal, I would always prefer sitting together with that person and discussing shot by shot.
    In the not so distant past clients in the room were pretty much the norm and for obvious reasons. With the introduction of remote grading capabilities built right into Resolve, remote grading sessions became possible and at the time many did take advantage of that capability. For many years I did just that doing many projects remotely in Russia, Georgia, Serbia, Czech Republic etc.
    Unfortunately, for number of reasons, doing remote sessions using Resolve was a bit difficult It required some careful advanced coordination and, of coarse, it required Resolve Studio and the same material on both ends. Fast forward to today. Covid-19 made everyone sit up and start thinking outside the box. Many companies rolled out remote hardware and software solutions. The prices also quickly came down. Software became much easier to set up even for non technical users. Nowadays, instead of clients trudging to our facilities for a supervised session, instead we do it using live streaming. As a matter of fact, these days having a supervised session with the clients in the small room, all wearing masks is becoming a rare exception rather than the norm. "Sitting together with that person and discussing shot by shot" is still the same process, only now you watch streaming images in real time on your own calibrated monitor at your convenience while talking to someone over the phone, viber, watsup, telegram etc. From experience, in about 5 minutes clients completely forget, that they're talking to someone many thousands miles away. This way now you have the world's best talent available to you regardless of geography, while keeping everyone safe too
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

http://www.syndicate.se/

Björn Benckert, you there buddy? :)

My old friend Nikolai Waldman of Waldman Media is in Göteborg, Sweden and does superb work, including various networks and studios in that country and others in Europe. You can reach him here:

Nikolai Waldman <nikolai@niwa.nu>
    +46-703-987099
    http://www.waldmanmedia.com/
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Thanks Šabović and Marc!

Björn has - just yesterday - helped me out with a brilliant colourist recommendation. And unfortunately, Nikolai is a little too far away.

I've got some good leads to follow up now. Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    As a matter of fact, these days having a supervised session with the clients in the small room, all wearing masks is becoming a rare exception rather than the norm. "Sitting together with that person and discussing shot by shot" is still the same process, only now you watch streaming images in real time on your own calibrated monitor at your convenience while talking to someone over the phone, viber, watsup, telegram etc. From experience, in about 5 minutes clients completely forget, that they're talking to someone many thousands miles away. This way now you have the world's best talent available to you regardless of geography, while keeping everyone safe too
    I just finished a 3-week supervised feature session with the director in the room last month, and it was fine. The COVID masks were annoying, but it was his preference was to be there and personally see what I saw in a controlled environment, and we accomodated that request. We have a big room (about 350 square feet) so we were socially distanced with no problem. I think there are reasonable precautions everybody can take to still work traditionally.

On the other hand: we're doing a new session entirely with an iPad Pro, which has been "ballpark-calibrated" to our monitors in the room. We're hoping it'll go OK. And we're in the process of putting together a loaner OLED display for Streambox sessions to allow secure remote monitoring.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Can you be more specific in how this remote grading is actually done? What are these remote capabilities in Resolve?