Thread: Netflix Series Ratched - Which Camera(s)?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Netflix Series Ratched - Which Camera(s)? 
    Does anyone here know which camera(s) were used to shoot the Netflix series "Ratched"?
    The colors are amazing. Obviously, the colorist's post-work deserves the praise, but he/she had very good source material to begin with. So I was just wondering...Red? Arri?
    "Don't under-estimate the amateur photographer. The latest HW & SW empower him to achieve results just as good as yours".
    Nothing beats a Master Prime!
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H, 24GB RAM, i5-3570K, Intel 520 120GB SSD - Win7 Pro SP1 x64, Dell U2713H 27" 10bit @ 2560x1440@60Hz (via miniDP).

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z View Post
    Does anyone here know which camera(s) were used to shoot the Netflix series "Ratched"?
    The colors are amazing. Obviously, the colorist's post-work deserves the praise, but he/she had very good source material to begin with. So I was just wondering...Red? Arri?
    Producer Ryan Murphy's previous production, Hollywood, was shot on Sony Venice by cinematographer Simon Dennis. The colorist was Tanner Buschman over at MTI Film/Hollywood.

Simon Dennis and Nelson Cragg shot Ratched, but I don't know what camera they used. Both are really brilliant cinematographers who do brilliant work; Cragg's work on Feud was very good as well, really capturing a "vintage" look.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Thanks, Marc.

I searched IMDB and other websites for the info, but it's not listed.
    So it could be that they shot Ratched on Sony Venice as well...

I watched segments of this interview with Simon Denis, and it does seem like he used a similar TechniColor look in the Hollywood series that was shot after Ratched.
    Last edited by Eric Z; 10-01-2020 at 03:53 AM.
    "Don't under-estimate the amateur photographer. The latest HW & SW empower him to achieve results just as good as yours".
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H, 24GB RAM, i5-3570K, Intel 520 120GB SSD - Win7 Pro SP1 x64, Dell U2713H 27" 10bit @ 2560x1440@60Hz (via miniDP).

The info display does seem quite familiar ;)

Alex, I'm not familiar with this interface. Which camera is that?

Alex, I'm not familiar with this interface. Which camera is that?
    This exact photo shows a Red SDI overview interface. Which Red camera exactly was it - impossible to tell. On another photo from the backstage I've also seen an Arri Alexa Mini (or Mini LF, hard to tell from AC side).

But on the screenshot you can clearly see two Red cameras working on the set. Set to ISO1280, so I'd suggest it's something from Dragon and on.

What's interesting - they are shooting 48fps.

Thanks, nice analysis.

Looks like its was shot on Helium 8K.

https://www.facebook.com/reddigitalcinema

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Thanks, Bob!!
    Helium 8K it is...lovely results.

Check here: http://reduser.net/forum/showthread....tro-amp-Helium