Thread: Wireless Monitoring | Hollyland Mars 400s

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Wireless Monitoring | Hollyland Mars 400s 
    I recently did a review of wireless monitoring--namely the Hollyland Mars 400s--featuring a lot of BTS footage from a commercial shoot with the RED Gemini. This is a great personal system to own and a great introductory unit for the world of wireless monitoring. The fact that it accepts SDI and HDMI more or less future proofs the unit and lets me use it with all my cams without having to run anything through a splitter.

In all, some great tips as well if you are on the fence about getting into a wireless system.

Take a look at the video! <https://youtu.be/w8h1dlr6TVc>

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Will von Tagen; 09-30-2020 at 05:14 PM.

More Hollyland spam? Jesus, can we please stop this?
    Helium + Gemini

Hollyland did send me the system for free and asked me to share, but I’m not getting paid for this. There are definitely other wireless options out there, but I do think this is a great option for the low budget users—and a chance for people to really free themselves up from cable burden and get more creative with their shots.

Is this part of their "hollyland day" promotion-- do you get more "entries" in a "sweepstakes" or something from posting this? Respectfully, a product review like this is not a great look for your first post here-- I myself would gladly check it out if I were interested in the system and searched youtube.

Hey M Harvey, if you take a moment to watch the actual video you’ll see I spend the first half of it discussing how and why wireless monitoring is helpful in the filmmaking process before I even begin to talk about Hollyland. I know a lot of up and coming people in the field who view wireless monitoring as an unnecessary luxury or a gimmick. So part of what I wanted to do with my video is dispel those myths and also propose an introductory unit for them to look into. Love or hate the product—I still think it is a worthwhile message to be spreading. Or am I wrong?

Will,

It's a nicely made overview but unless i am mistaken you miss out on the most important aspects of these systems... What's the latency? What's the compression - is there, isn't there?

That's what separates a professional working system from consumer. I am running a Paralinx Ace at the moment which is pretty much no delay uncompressed but i really would love the ability for others to monitor off their phones/pads so there is a lot of appeal because the 400s is about the only system (for a reasonable price) that can do this.

But i still don't know the key aspects of the system

I have a Mars X as well and that's about 80ms - not sure i'd pull focus off that bearing in mind you're taking two wireless hops - to the monitor and back to the FF - that's too much delay.

So how about the techy aspects of it?

Cheers
    Paul
    -------------------
    insta: @paul.inventome

Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post
    Will,

It's a nicely made overview but unless i am mistaken you miss out on the most important aspects of these systems... What's the latency? What's the compression - is there, isn't there?

That's what separates a professional working system from consumer. I am running a Paralinx Ace at the moment which is pretty much no delay uncompressed but i really would love the ability for others to monitor off their phones/pads so there is a lot of appeal because the 400s is about the only system (for a reasonable price) that can do this.

But i still don't know the key aspects of the system

I have a Mars X as well and that's about 80ms - not sure i'd pull focus off that bearing in mind you're taking two wireless hops - to the monitor and back to the FF - that's too much delay.

So how about the techy aspects of it?

Cheers
    Paul
    You won't see it there, because all of them recieved a free unit and post this in a some kind of contest. Here's the real numbers:

https://youtu.be/LjhSiEWscBI

TV-Logic is connected to the reciever via short SDI cable (20cm), the TX unit in 50-60cm away, also through SDI. Latency is significant, some say it's 3-4 frames, but I've measured sometimes 6-10 frames (0,25-0,3s). For amateur jobs it's awesome, because you can output to 1 RX and 3 phones/tablets over wifi (latency is even more over wifi and the distance isn't as of over the RX, much worse). For real gigs it's too much of a latency.

As far as I understand it's working on the same chip as Vaxis Atom 500, it's a consumer-grade chip that can do both wifi and tx/rx connection. Hollyland seem to be more robust - it can work all day without any issues, while Vaxis Atom tend to loose connection over 3-4 hours of work (that's what I've heard of from local rentals). Also Atoms are slower to boot and connect (25-30s vs 30-45s depending on device).

And please, really, stop the Hollyland spam week.
    Last edited by Alex Lubensky; 10-01-2020 at 10:56 AM.