Thread: Do HDD Read speeds need to technically match Codec Data rates?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Do HDD Read speeds need to technically match Codec Data rates? 
    Hey Yall

I understand this is an oversimplification and prolonged read and write is something to look into but Simple question, Do HDD Read speeds need to technically match Codec Data rates?

Example
    My External HDD drive w/133 MB/s plays back 24p, Full Gate Komodo 6K footage but is not super responsive at around 17-22 F/Sec

While my SSD at w/500+ MB/s plays back 24p, Full Gate Komodo 6K footage absolutely fine and is super responsive.

I used AJA Video systems to check MB/sec and F/sec and it sort of seems like it adds up like that, my Externals only get to 17-22 F/sec.
    So I should just look for SSD/HDD that match or ideally far exceed the data rates of my Codec?

HDDs don't do much more than 133mb/s in real world... actually I'd be surprised if it maintained 133mb/s.

6K Komodo footage looks to be around ~250mb/s (HQ, MQ, or LQ are all different, but even LQ is more than 133mb/s I think), so that'd be why it hitchs/chugs on the HDD. So yeah, welcome to SSD territory (or RAID, but I would opt for SSD over RAID, as RAIDs are twice as likely to fail).

To keep costs down, I have working drives that are SSDs and then HDDs that I offload the SSD to as general storage/archive after the project has been delivered.
    Last edited by Mike P.; 10-09-2020 at 10:09 AM.

I think you have already found the simple answer. There are plenty of corollary issues starting with compression ratios, but a single spinner is weak sauce for playing back R3Ds - either type. Fortunately for all of us, the cost of SSDs continues to drop rapidly and doesn't need RAIDing to keep up. FWIW, I've had good experiences with the Samsungs.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    HDDs don't do much more than 133mb/s in real world... actually I'd be surprised if it maintained 133mb/s.

6K Komodo footage looks to be around ~250mb/s (HQ, MQ, or LQ are all different, but even LQ is more than 133mb/s I think), so that'd be why it hitchs/chugs on the HDD. So yeah, welcome to SSD territory (or RAID, but I would opt for SSD over RAID, as RAIDs are twice as likely to fail).

To keep costs down, I have working drives that are SSDs and then HDDs that I offload the SSD to as general storage/archive after the projects been delivered.
    Pretty sure my HDD foes fall from 133mb/s overtime

Your setup sounds exactly like What I'm going to be upgrading to do/sort of already doing as it is really cost-effective.

Appreciate the Response, Pretty much answers my question perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    I think you have already found the simple answer. There are plenty of corollary issues starting with compression ratios, but a single spinner is weak sauce for playing back R3Ds - either type. Fortunately for all of us, the cost of SSDs continues to drop rapidly and doesn't need RAIDing to keep up. FWIW, I've had good experiences with the Samsungs.

Cheers - #19
    SSD's it will be, Yes they have dropped so much in price, remember being thankful for a 256GB haha.. a 1TB is so darn affordable now.