Thread: Dell UltraSharp 32″ HDR PremierColor Monitor

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Dell UltraSharp 32″ HDR PremierColor Monitor 
    Dell UltraSharp 32″ HDR PremierColor Monitor

By
    MATTHEW ALLARD ACS
    For Newsshooter

Will be available on November the 5th for $4,999.99 USD.

Article
    https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/10/...color-monitor/

That’s kinda dope, right? I hope it can hold its own. 4k, HDR, 10bit, 1000nit, 99.8% accurate DCI-P3, built-in calman... *wish it was* half the price of Apple’s.
    Last edited by Mike P.; 10-09-2020 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    That’s kinda dope, right? I hope it can hold its own. 4k, HDR, 10bit, 1000nit, 99.8% accurate DCI-P3, built-in calman... and half the price of Apple’s.

I hope so as well Mike. The built-in Calman Calibration without needing to be plugged into a computer sounds great as well. But we'll have to see how well it actually works.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    That’s kinda dope, right? I hope it can hold its own. 4k, HDR, 10bit, 1000nit, 99.8% accurate DCI-P3, built-in calman... and half the price of Apple’s.
    Did you actually read the article? Matthew writes: "The Apple Pro Display XDR comes in at a similar price, but it does have a lot higher resolution (6016 x 3384) than the Dell. However, it doesn’t come with a stand or self-calibration. The Pro Display XDR is also a lot brighter (1,500 nits) and a lot lighter (16.49 lb / 7.48 kg (without Stand)) than the Dell."

I think the Dell could be popular in the $2,000-2,500 segment. At $5K I'm shopping FSI, Sony, etc.

To Dell's credit, I'm thrilled to see the integrated CalMan feature and hope that self-calibration becomes standard on pro monitors going forward. Will it be as precise as a proper calibration by a trained calibrator - likely not. That said, assuming it does a credible job, it allows me to trust what I'm seeing - no small thing.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    Did you actually read the article? Matthew writes: "The Apple Pro Display XDR comes in at a similar price, but it does have a lot higher resolution (6016 x 3384) than the Dell. However, it doesn’t come with a stand or self-calibration. The Pro Display XDR is also a lot brighter (1,500 nits) and a lot lighter (16.49 lb / 7.48 kg (without Stand)) than the Dell."

I think the Dell could be popular in the $2,000-2,500 segment. At $5K I'm shopping FSI, Sony, etc.
    True (re:$2500). And no, not really (I went straight to the specs/accuracy claims).

For some reason I thought Apple’s was like ~7500 without stand (which is actually what it is in CAD). Also I was under the impression Apple’s still wasn’t fully 10bit, but 8+2, making it less ideal... TBH I didn’t really look hard at the XDR after seeing the price tag of just the stand.

I’m hoping that Dell (more than Apple) will trickle the calman/quality tech down to a $2k product... 24” maybe? Or maybe 2k/17” (for both field monitor and as a broadcast/colour accurate panel)?
    Last edited by Mike P.; 10-09-2020 at 10:16 PM.

you're paying for the 2000 diming zones, much I assume is like a HDR/High Nit version of OLED

Quote Originally Posted by Apple
    The backlighting consists of an array of 576 LEDs that can sustain a brightness level of 1000 cd/m˛ and can even reach up to 1600 cd/m˛ for a 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio to truly emphasize the differences between light and dark.
    FSI does have the xm310k, a 2000 led diming 4K panel for $25,000, but it's 1000-3000nits
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant

Like Jeffery stated, the 2000 diming zones is what adds to the price.

From the Flanders website Jeffery provided

2000 led dimming zones

500 led dimming zones

The 1600nits for apple display would help over the 1000nits Dell if you were color grading in a brightly lit room or somehow as part of a DIT cart. I would use it in a dimly lit room. There's a difference but not a gigantic difference. And if I use this with Davinci Resolve instead of as a external display monitor to check for accurate colors, I don't know about apple, but I think the 4K UHD display would scale text better than a 6k screen on a PC.

They both are about $5000, but you would need the stand for the apple display which is an additional $1000. Unless you were planning on mounting it on the wall.
    Last edited by rand thompson; 10-10-2020 at 07:21 AM.

Thanx Jeffery and Rand for the notes on LED dimming zones. It's particularly interesting since the XDR got dinged for haloing artifacts in dark surrounds - something easily seen in the Flanders A/B images above. Fortunately, most scenes would not exhibit as much bleed as the high contrast example of the juggler, but it's still an issue.
    Would love to see a side by side in person, someday...

Cheers - #19

Blair,

Yeah, I think a side-by-side of the Dell against other monitors in this price range would be a better indicator than just specs. But If it lives up to the specs, that would make it a good bang for the buck in the lower-end of professional accurate grading monitors. It's not one of those $50,000+ monitors used to grade HDR feature Films with but it'll do.

How would you compare it against the Asus PA32UCX-K?
    RED CF MONSTRO 8K VV
    Zeiss Otus 28, 55, 85

Website // Facebook // Instagram