Thread: Dell UltraSharp 32″ HDR PremierColor Monitor

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    Hate noisy monitors. You can put everything but the monitor/keyboard/mouse/control surface/etc in another room - but if the devices that have to be nearby are whiny, you're boned.
    Would love to have reviewers measure noise levels and frequencies in their reports.
    Even better, manufacturers should spec better fans!

Cheers - #19
    Quite is overrated. Baselight's Blackboard Two is very noisy, but I don't mind. I'll take this wonderful and noisy grading panel over a noise free so called "Advanced" panel. The only advanced thing about it being the advanced price
    Joking aside, Noctua makes many extremely quite and efficient replacement fans. I lost count how many fans I replaced so far...
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Dell UltraSharp 32 HDR PremierColor Monitor: UP3221Q

By Dell

Dell’s UltraSharp 32 HDR PremierColor Could be the Best Professional Monitor Around

By By Anton Shilov for TOMSHardware.com

Article
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/de...monitor-around

Updated Colorspace reproduction from Article above

ASUS ProArt PA32UCX-K

89% Rec.2020, 99.5% Adobe RGB,
    99% DCI-P3 and 100% sRGB

Dell UltraSharp 32″ HDR PremierColor Monitor (UP3221Q)

99.8% of the DCI-P3 , 83% of the BT2020, 93% of the Adobe RGB

Thanx Jeffery and Rand for the notes on LED dimming zones. It's particularly interesting since the XDR got dinged for haloing artifacts in dark surrounds - something easily seen in the Flanders A/B images above. Fortunately, most scenes would not exhibit as much bleed as the high contrast example of the juggler, but it's still an issue.
    Would love to see a side by side in person, someday...

Cheers - #19
    Blooming is an issue on any FALD display unfortunately. But that is the only good way to achieve high sustained peak brightness at the moment. The Asus 4k FALD display they just released exhibits significantly worse blooming artifacts and backlight timing, as do many of the super high end reference displays because they are more concerned about static image performance. Many of them including the Sony and the Canon show very obvious delay in the backlight and LCD when jumping from very bright scenes to the next. The XDR isn't perfect at this either but it is significantly better than anything else I have looked at so far.

Something else many people don't seem to acknowledge is that 32" 4k is an absolutely terrible resolution to size ratio for a desktop display. Not a big deal if you only ever use it for content alone, but absolutely terrible for UI and any other normal use.
    Last edited by andrewhake; 10-13-2020 at 04:50 PM.
    DSMC2 Gemini
    Komodo ST

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    Everyone is pointing out to a higher brightness levels of 1600 nits monitors as a big advantage, but fact of the matter, as of TODAY, DolbyVision mastering is only done for either 1000 or 4000 nits. Yes, sometimes clients may also ask for another pass at 600 nits for the ever popular LG OLED monitors. Anyway, what that brightness differences mean, technically speaking, that if you you are mastering for DolbyVision on a 1600 nits monitor, highlights on a proper mastering 1000 nits monitor will then look wrong- they will be clipped. Inversely, watching a properly tone mapped 1000 nits DolbyVision material on a 1600 nits monitor will result in a dark highlights.
    Pro Display XDR has specific preset modes for different situations. The HDR Video (P3-ST.2048) preset is limited to 1000nits for grading work. The BT.1886 preset is limited to 100nits for rec709 stuff etc.

The higher peak brightness levels pay off when watching content graded beyond 1000nits. The difference between 1000 and 1600 is actually pretty significant when watching content graded beyond 1000. The reason HDR content is tagged with brightness metadata is so it can be properly mapped to higher/lower brightness displays. "Inversely, watching a properly tone mapped 1000 nits DolbyVision material on a 1600 nits monitor will result in a dark highlights." Isn't true at all. It will result in 1000nit peak highlights. Watching the terrible 200nit grade of Blade Runner 2049 will result in 200nit peak brightness. Some TVs will attempt to remap to the displays peak brightness but usually not in their Dolby Vision modes. One of the keys is if a display can actually do 1000nits full screen sustained as well. "1000 nits" doesn't mean shit if it isn't full screen sustained. Very few can.

4000nit graded content like Mad Max Fury Road looks signtifantly better on a 1600nit display than it does on a 1000nit display when played back properly. Especially a 1000nit display that can handle 1000nits full screen indefinitely.
    Last edited by andrewhake; 10-13-2020 at 04:55 PM.
    DSMC2 Gemini
    Komodo ST

Pity about the price!

This Dell monitor and the Apple monitor are the kind of thing I'd ONLY buy if I had a client job lined up that'd pay if off instantly. Or if I was rich and just wanted to play around.

On paying HDR jobs, we've used the super-fancy $30K Canon HDR monitor as well as the cheap LG OLED HDTVs. To me the problem with the Dell and the Apple monitors are:
    - If you need a bunch of cheap monitors for a large team, this doesn't offer enough of an advantage over the LGs for the (much) higher price.
    - If you need a reference-grade monitor for the final grade / QC / whatever... this isn't it either.

I get the feeling these will all be out of date pretty soon and folks will regret the spendy purchase, unless it was just to have fun.

I'm interested in seeing what 2021's iPad is like and what the mini LED density and performance is like. A scaled-up 6K desktop version of that sounds nice. Either that or maybe we'll have 8K OLED TVs from LG with increasingly better peak brightness, or the other manufacturers will catch up...

Bruce Allen
    www.bruceallen.tv

....as much bleed as the high contrast example of the juggler, but it's still an issue.
    Would love to see a side by side in person, someday...
    It’s it has to do with working in a rec2020 HDR space — and being able to push the dynamic range to get the most realistic image possible

I think before they would just use scopes and there was a safe area, but now monitors are getting closer in theatrical projection in representing the image the sensor can capture. From what I've been told large projectors, in theaters, are the only true representative of rec2020 in latitude.

I’ve heard a few times, “the DIT is more important, than the DoP in getting a good image on set”... which asks the question, if it's more important to light an image correctly or expose it correctly? ...probably both are equally important at this point. Film had great highlight roll off, but low ASA and digital had high ISO, but bad highlight roll off... now digital has both and it's really about getting the very most out of the image
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Allen View Post
    Pity about the price!

This Dell monitor and the Apple monitor are the kind of thing I'd ONLY buy if I had a client job lined up that'd pay if off instantly. Or if I was rich and just wanted to play around.

On paying HDR jobs, we've used the super-fancy $30K Canon HDR monitor as well as the cheap LG OLED HDTVs. To me the problem with the Dell and the Apple monitors are:
    - If you need a bunch of cheap monitors for a large team, this doesn't offer enough of an advantage over the LGs for the (much) higher price.
    - If you need a reference-grade monitor for the final grade / QC / whatever... this isn't it either.

I get the feeling these will all be out of date pretty soon and folks will regret the spendy purchase, unless it was just to have fun.

I'm interested in seeing what 2021's iPad is like and what the mini LED density and performance is like. A scaled-up 6K desktop version of that sounds nice. Either that or maybe we'll have 8K OLED TVs from LG with increasingly better peak brightness, or the other manufacturers will catch up...

Bruce Allen
    www.bruceallen.tv
    The main problem with LG OLED is not resolution or the peak brightness, but the W in WOLED tech. As a result, anything over a standard 100 nits is not really a valid image. Yes, it can be pretty, but not valid...
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

The Dell has arrived here at the Hut. Setting things up this week to test it all out.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon