Thread: Dell UltraSharp 32″ HDR PremierColor Monitor

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Daniel,

There's not alot of technical specs available for The Dell, however this is about what we do know

ASUS ProArt PA32UCX-K

Price about $4500

4K UHD(3840 X 2160)

1200 NITS

89% Rec.2020, 99.5% Adobe RGB,
    99% DCI-P3 and 100% sRGB

True 10bit

VESA Certified HDR 1000

Zone Dimming 1152

World-leading delta-E (∆E) <1 color performance and ASUS ProArt Hardware Calibration technology for color-accuracy optimization, uniformity and color profile write-back

Dell UltraSharp 32″ HDR PremierColor Monitor (UP3221Q)

Price $4999

4K UHD(3840 X 2160)

1000 NITS

99.8% DCI-P3

True 10bit

VESA Certified HDR 1000

Zone Dimming 2000

built-in Calman Powered colorimeter

ASUS

Thunderbolt™ 3 USB-C™ x2 (In x1, Out x1),
    HDMI(v2.0b) x3,
    DisplayPort 1.2

Dell

1 x DP 1.4 (HDCP 2.2)
    2 x HDMI 2.0 (HDCP 2.2)
    1 x ThunderboltTM 3 upstream port (DP 1.4) – Power Delivery up to 90W
    1 x ThunderboltTM 3 downstream port (DP1.4) – Power Delivery up to 15W 2 x SuperSpeed USB 5/10 Gbps (USB 3.2 Gen 1/2) downstream port
    1 x External Colorimeter port
    Last edited by rand thompson; 10-10-2020 at 03:00 PM.

Dell Ultrasharp UP3221Q - A 4K HDR Monitor with 2000+ MiniLED Local Dimming Zones - From CES 2020

By
    Digit

from January 2020

Everyone is pointing out to a higher brightness levels of 1600 nits monitors as a big advantage, but fact of the matter, as of TODAY, DolbyVision mastering is only done for either 1000 or 4000 nits. Yes, sometimes clients may also ask for another pass at 600 nits for the ever popular LG OLED monitors. Anyway, what that brightness differences mean, technically speaking, that if you you are mastering for DolbyVision on a 1600 nits monitor, highlights on a proper mastering 1000 nits monitor will then look wrong- they will be clipped. Inversely, watching a properly tone mapped 1000 nits DolbyVision material on a 1600 nits monitor will result in a dark highlights.
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    Everyone is pointing out to a higher brightness levels of 1600 nits monitors as a big advantage, but fact of the matter, as of TODAY, DolbyVision mastering is only done for either 1000 or 4000 nits. Yes, sometimes clients may ask for another pass at 600 nits for the ever popular LG OLED monitors. What that means, technically speaking, if you you are mastering for DolbyVision on a 1600 nits monitor, highlights on a proper mastering 1000 nits monitor will look wrong- they will be clipped. Inversely, watching a properly tone mapped 1000 nits DolbyVision material on a 1600 nits monitor will result in a dark highlights.

Thanks Jake for this info! As someone who has no experience with HDR content, it helped a lot.

I wonder if it has a fan. Asus fan is very noisy and after few months it became intolerably high pitch dentist reminding sound so I RMAed it. The replacement monitor is now gradually becoming noisier and noisier again.
    Also Asus is below 3000USD - not 4500 - at least in Europe. But I would gladly pay extra for silence.

Maksim,

I couldn't really find an exact price for the Asus just a price range of from $3500 to $4500 with most dealers at around the $4500 mark, but you're probably right.

There wasn't a lot of detailed info on the Dell that I could find. So until it's released or pre-production models are made available for initial tests that we will know about the fan nouse

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Maksim,

I couldn't really find an exact price for the Asus just a price range of from $3500 to $4500 with most dealers at around the $4500 mark, but you're probably right.

There wasn't a lot of detailed info on the Dell that I could find. So until it's released or pre-production models are made available for initial tests that we will know about the fan nouse
    2465 GBP on Amazon UK. Also by the end of the year we expect PA32UCG from Asus - the first color accurate 4k 120hz monitor among other improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by Maksim Medushkin View Post
    2465 GBP on Amazon UK. Also by the end of the year we expect PA32UCG from Asus - the first color accurate 4k 120hz monitor among other improvements.
    I've never used Asus products before. from reading your posts about the Asus products, I will have to investigate them more .

Hate noisy monitors. You can put everything but the monitor/keyboard/mouse/control surface/etc in another room - but if the devices that have to be nearby are whiny, you're boned.
    Would love to have reviewers measure noise levels and frequencies in their reports.
    Even better, manufacturers should spec better fans!

Cheers - #19

Blair,

Hopefully that $4999 price tag ensures a much quieter fan than it's cheaper alternative.