Thread: Dell UltraSharp 32″ HDR PremierColor Monitor

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W. View Post
    What would you recommend? And recommend to calibrate the monitor? Again, it can be pretty bad, just needs to be ballpark.
    For Rec-709 you can buy an old HP DreamColor monitor, use free DisplayCal with used X-Rite i1Display and feed the monitor with HDMI from BM UltraStudio Monitor 3G. It's not ideal as DreamColor doesn't have 3D LUT capabilities, but it will be in the ballpark, depending on the age of the panel. The better solution is to use 42" LG OLED panel. You'd need a copy of CalMan calibration software (may be you can find a friend who has it). LG automatically communicates with CalMan and at the conclusion of auto calibration it uploads the calibration LUT to an internal 33x33 LUT storage. Or you can find on eBay a cheap ($500 or so) Color Edge 24" EIZO, which also can store 3D LUT for perfect calibration. Personally, I'd go with EIZO, it's not terribly expensive and it is a great budget monitor capable of proper calibration for REC-709.
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    For Rec-709 you can buy an old HP DreamColor monitor, use free DisplayCal with used X-Rite i1Display and feed the monitor with HDMI from BM UltraStudio Monitor 3G. It's not ideal as DreamColor doesn't have 3D LUT capabilities, but it will be in the ballpark, depending on the age of the panel. The better solution is to use 42" LG OLED panel. You'd need a copy of CalMan calibration software (may be you can find a friend who has it). LG automatically communicates with CalMan and at the conclusion of auto calibration it uploads the calibration LUT to an internal 33x33 LUT storage. Or you can find on eBay a cheap ($500 or so) Color Edge 24" EIZO, which also can store 3D LUT for perfect calibration. Personally, I'd go with EIZO, it's not terribly expensive and it is a great budget monitor capable of proper calibration for REC-709.
    Thanks, the Eizo looks good.

Dell's crazy new 4k HDR Monitor that self color calibrates!

by
    District 7 - Drew Geraci

"Dell's new UP3221Q 4k HDR Monitor with self-calibration mode makes color grading a breeze... the box it comes in is also HUGE! The new monitor is aimed at high-end cinematographers looking for the best in color as it boasts an impressive 99.8% DCI-P3 color gamut at 1000-nits in HDR mode."

"Skip ahead to 10:00 if you want to see it set up and rolling!"

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Dell's crazy new 4k HDR Monitor that self color calibrates!

by
    District 7 - Drew Geraci

"Dell's new UP3221Q 4k HDR Monitor with self-calibration mode makes color grading a breeze... the box it comes in is also HUGE! The new monitor is aimed at high-end cinematographers looking for the best in color as it boasts an impressive 99.8% DCI-P3 color gamut at 1000-nits in HDR mode."

"Skip ahead to 10:00 if you want to see it set up and rolling!"
    It's funny, he keeps going on and on about this monitor being able to self calibrate. So I wonder, if he never heard of Eizo monitors. They are able to do that for many years now
    Also, according to the poster, this monitor has only 1300:1 contrast ratio, which invalidates it for any kind of HDR work. The minimal contrast required for DolbyVision is 1,000,000:1.
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    It's funny, he keeps going on and on about this monitor being able to self calibrate. So I wonder, if he never heard of Eizo monitors. They are able to do that for many years now
    Also, according to the poster, this monitor has only 1300:1 contrast ratio, which invalidates it for any kind of HDR work. The minimal contrast required for DolbyVision is 1,000,000:1.
    Hi Jake,

I've had the production model of the Dell UP3221Q for about 2 weeks now. It does meet Dolby Vision requirements and has been tested for some time.

From the manual, which I believe is officially released in about 48 hours:

Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I remembered when the guy said it that some other company also did self color calibration but I couldn't remember who it was. It's good that it does meet the Dolby Vision requirement at such a low cost relative to other more expensive Dolby Vision qualified monitors.

Phil, can we expect your review soon?

Would love to hear what you think about this monitor! @philholland
    I am currently deciding between this and the Asus Pro Art PA32UCX, anyone else used both?
    RED MONSTRO 8K
    Leica R / Xelmus Apollo Anamorphics

Website // Facebook // Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Hi Jake,

I've had the production model of the Dell UP3221Q for about 2 weeks now. It does meet Dolby Vision requirements and has been tested for some time.

From the manual, which I believe is officially released in about 48 hours:

Hi Phil.
    Here is the Dolby Vision minimum monitor requirements according to Brahm Desmet from FSI:

Minimum Peak Luminance of 1,000nits
    Minimum Static Contrast Ratio of 200,000:1
    Minimum P3 Color Gamut
    Support of 12bit signals
    Support of ST2084 (PQ) EOTF

Brahm Desmet on Dynamic contrast ratio:
    "Higher contrast would only happen temporally so likely not within the bounds of the specifications above"

Similar explanation was offered by Steve Shaw from Light Space:
    "...a global dimming backlight is not at all suitable for critical colour work"

So, static dynamic contrast ratio of 1300:1 still doesn't meet the spec, which makes it unsuitable for any kind of Dolby Vision work.

And here is the Dolby's own monitor requirements for Dolby Vision work:
    https://professional.dolby.com/sitea...cationv1.4.pdf
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Perhaps the 1,300:1 is specifically for SDR (rec709) content and the 1,000,000:1 is for HDR per the (HDR On) note after the 1,000,000:1 spec...

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    Perhaps the 1,300:1 is specifically for SDR (rec709) content and the 1,000,000:1 is for HDR per the (HDR On) note after the 1,000,000:1 spec...

Cheers - #19
    It's not magic, no matter how much we'd all love to be able to buy a monitor, that would meet minimum Dolby Vision requirements for $5k.
    This monitor is not that much different from a number of other monitors, that use local dimming zones. SDR doesn't need 1000 nits light output, so in that case local dimming backlight is not used and it defaults to a native LCD 1300:1 dynamic range, but in HDR local dimming is used resulting in higher dynamic ratio. Even best LCD's by itself are not capable of more than something like 1300:1 native dynamic range. That is why manufacturers now using dual LCD screens technology in order to be able to achieve 1,000,000:1 contrast. It is better tech, than OLED used in X300 and much cheaper to produce than Dolby's own $250k monitors. But, unfortunately, as a result of using this very expensive new dual screen tech, monitors that are capable of meeting Dolby Vision minimum requirements like Sony X310, Eizo CG3146, TV Logic LUM-310 or FSI XM311K and FSI XM310K are all $30k+.
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel