By YOSSY MENDELOVICH for Y.M.Cinema

Article
    https://ymcinema.com/2020/10/11/cano...amera-footage/

game changer!

kidding.
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

Yep. This is Canon's S35 8K system that's exclusively available in Japan. For those not dealing with 8K delivery too much, Japan is indeed doing things over there and without the pandemic you would have seen a lot of 8K at the Olympics.

There's been a few 8K cameras over there, but RED Helium became the defacto choice due to flexibility, image quality, and convenience. If I remember correctly often paired with Canon zooms. I know Monstro's been used for stuff as well of course, but S35 and those long zooms are ideal for typical event work.

I imagine 2021 will be a big 8K year for Canon and Sony as they are prominent in that market for sure.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Phil,

from looking at the two videos, the canon camera doesn't appear to have a great dynamic range. And it seems every 8K video out of Japan appears to be in 60P.

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Phil,

from looking at the two videos, the canon camera doesn't appear to have a great dynamic range. And it seems every 8K video out of Japan appears to be in 60P.
    That's only because 120p isn't ready yet
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    That's only because 120p isn't ready yet

You're probably right Michael, But maybe by the third quarter of 2021.HaHa

My only problem with 60P+ video is that whereas 24P looks amazingly crisp and sharp, 60P+ just looks like mush. Watching the demo footage on a 4K monitor, it just looks like somewhat higher res 60P video out of my mushy Sony RX100 pocket camera. The only exception is, I believe, NHK that had some 8K footage that looked amazing and I think it was in 60P too but that was several years ago from a prototype camera system that may not even be a thing anymore. It was a video of a woman in a kimono walking down a hallway and there was a nighttime parade too with inflatable light up figures but it wasn't so great in low light as the digital gain was too apparent.

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Phil,

It's not the best DR out there and it does clip harshly from some of the tests online. But well exposed it can look crisp and clean. It's rather noisy in the shadows and does have a pretty small pixel when it comes down to it.

The 60p thing is more attractive overseas where that seems to be the goal with motion much of the time. The higher frame rate does indeed help with judder in high contrast or HDR scenes.

Kind of crazy really over the years. Cinema still tends to be 23.976 or 24p straight. Pal is of course 25p, but that's a rare day even when I'm filming over on that side of the world. I have one project that requires 29.97 and of course television demo stuff is often designed to show off the 60p or 120p features.

Narrative to me most of the time is 23.976 though I'm working straight 24p the most once again most of time.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Birlew View Post
    My only problem with 60P+ video is that whereas 24P looks amazingly crisp and sharp, 60P+ just looks like mush. Watching the demo footage on a 4K monitor, it just looks like somewhat higher res 60P video out of my mushy Sony RX100 pocket camera. The only exception is, I believe, NHK that had some 8K footage that looked amazing and I think it was in 60P too but that was several years ago from a prototype camera system that may not even be a thing anymore. It was a video of a woman in a kimono walking down a hallway and there was a nighttime parade too with inflatable light up figures but it wasn't so great in low light as the digital gain was too apparent.
    Zack,

It kind of reminded me of footage from my Canon XH-A1 from back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    It's not the best DR out there and it does clip harshly from some of the tests online. But well exposed it can look crisp and clean. It's rather noisy in the shadows and does have a pretty small pixel when it comes down to it.

The 60p thing is more attractive overseas where that seems to be the goal with motion much of the time. The higher frame rate does indeed help with judder in high contrast or HDR scenes.

Kind of crazy really over the years. Cinema still tends to be 23.976 or 24p straight. Pal is of course 25p, but that's a rare day even when I'm filming over on that side of the world. I have one project that requires 29.97 and of course television demo stuff is often designed to show off the 60p or 120p features.

Narrative to me most of the time is 23.976 though I'm working straight 24p the most once again most of time.

Yeah, I'm sure if it had been better exposed that it probably would have looked better. You would think that if this was going to be the debut images from this camera that was announced 5 years ago that they would have done a better job.

I can't remember the last time that I shot anything at 29.97. The 60p thing seems to be what they want to get that "Like you were there" look instead of the 24P "One step from reality" look of film.