Thread: Canon Shows Off its Upcoming EOS 8K Cinema Camera Footage

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The interesting thing about this 8K camera is it's the one Canon has been working on since 2015:

That was at NAB 2015 and a few months after I got to test the Dragon 8K VV. Canon's updated the sensor and tweaked things a bit, but the system is still a commitment when it comes to practical filming.

Overseas NHK and other entities in Japan have been hot for 8K solutions. NHK, Ikegami, Sharp, and Astro all got in on the party and eventually Sony on the broadcast side. In the face of all of this a lot of the smaller pixel cameras turned out to be not-so-wonderful and Helium specifically due to the format size and image quality captured that world. I mostly know about this because this year I was supposed to be in Japan for a "thing" and I was going to film with Monstro, but alas, 2020 things.

This was the first "oh hey 8K" thing from Canon. Years later these are out there in small number and of course the splash that is the R5 this year also brought on their 8K.

There's okay footage on the same YouTube channel from this camera from a couple years ago, but again, the goal isn't exactly cinematic for the most part.

The industry at the moment is in a fascinating dance of a rising trend of 4K delivery with the bleeding edge still being 8K delivery and in the midst of this many still doing 2K or less things. Which has produced a pretty wild time in the camera market. 2020 has been a big year for Prosumer cameras, or at least what most used to call that pricing tier. People shoot professional work with $600 DSLRs still, so it's tough to label what is pro or not these days. Sort of market of entry level through high end systems.

We're also at an interesting stage where many of the digital cinema concepts are getting smarter as technology advances. A term that RED in one way or another has stapled into everybody's minds in terms of what to call these cameras. Though I still think there's a divide between video cameras and digital cinema, it's become a very blurry line as of late. And fortunately for me I always ran with motion picture camera as a term, so it doesn't really hit my brain the same way.

That was a bit off track, but I'll be very curious what happens in the 8K space coming up. The more I think about the last calendar year it truly feels like a lot of 6K-ish things jumped into the pool with a couple of things that were just outside of that. Of course a slew of 4K only stuff too.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Can't wait to see what else you do with this.

I think the proper dividing line is "(digital) cinema" vs. "(digital) verité".

NFL Films is a fantastic example of the epic, heroic narratives that can be constructed from documentary evidence.

Blair Witch shows that one can publish pseudo-verité as cinema fare (even if it's not "cinematic").

Mark Toia shows the cinematic boundaries that can be pushed with a bold vision and kick-ass tools.

Methinks that events like The Olympics will always be best served with verité-oriented kit, whereas screenplays will almost always be best served by cinema-oriented kit. But at the end of the day, there will always be overlap: human crews all need proper hydration.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    The interesting thing about this 8K camera is it's the one Canon has been working on since 2015:

That was at NAB 2015 and a few months after I got to test the Dragon 8K VV. Canon's updated the sensor and tweaked things a bit, but the system is still a commitment when it comes to practical filming.

Overseas NHK and other entities in Japan have been hot for 8K solutions. NHK, Ikegami, Sharp, and Astro all got in on the party and eventually Sony on the broadcast side. In the face of all of this a lot of the smaller pixel cameras turned out to be not-so-wonderful and Helium specifically due to the format size and image quality captured that world. I mostly know about this because this year I was supposed to be in Japan for a "thing" and I was going to film with Monstro, but alas, 2020 things.

This was the first "oh hey 8K" thing from Canon. Years later these are out there in small number and of course the splash that is the R5 this year also brought on their 8K.

There's okay footage on the same YouTube channel from this camera from a couple years ago, but again, the goal isn't exactly cinematic for the most part.

The industry at the moment is in a fascinating dance of a rising trend of 4K delivery with the bleeding edge still being 8K delivery and in the midst of this many still doing 2K or less things. Which has produced a pretty wild time in the camera market. 2020 has been a big year for Prosumer cameras, or at least what most used to call that pricing tier. People shoot professional work with $600 DSLRs still, so it's tough to label what is pro or not these days. Sort of market of entry level through high end systems.

We're also at an interesting stage where many of the digital cinema concepts are getting smarter as technology advances. A term that RED in one way or another has stapled into everybody's minds in terms of what to call these cameras. Though I still think there's a divide between video cameras and digital cinema, it's become a very blurry line as of late. And fortunately for me I always ran with motion picture camera as a term, so it doesn't really hit my brain the same way.

That was a bit off track, but I'll be very curious what happens in the 8K space coming up. The more I think about the last calendar year it truly feels like a lot of 6K-ish things jumped into the pool with a couple of things that were just outside of that. Of course a slew of 4K only stuff too.
    Thanks Phil and Michael on your insights on this matter. I believe I also read on a Canon rumor site that Canon will offer two 8k cameras next year. One that will be something in the form factor of the C500/ C700 and one that will be more modular.

Recent C500 has exact the same body/form factor as recent C300

[8K]World Cultural Heritage Site Villages on Hisaka Island (CanonOfficial)

By Canon Imaging Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Phil,

from looking at the two videos, the canon camera doesn't appear to have a great dynamic range. And it seems every 8K video out of Japan appears to be in 60P.
    Youtubers lately have huge budgets and YouTube heavily promotes 60p and high res videos. It just prioritizes them in feed and because of that you can see now 4k60p talking heads on YT filmed initially in 6K on c500m2 to change plans slightly between phrases.

And if someone wonders when 120p will start becoming popular - the answer is two years after iPhones refresh rate will be 120Hz instead of current 60Hz and Korean/Chinese smartphone producers will follow them.*Refresh rate is more notable on small screen the resolution.

I can't remember the last time I used 60p for anything other than for Slow-mo. I guess different trends are emerging and it will be interesting to see which ones come and stay and which ones fall by the wayside.