Thread: RF Mount for Weapon Helium

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 RF Mount for Weapon Helium 
    Is anyone making an RF lens mount for the Weapon Helium?
    www.pixelworkers.tv

Instagram: @pixelworker58

AFAIK, the 20mm FFD needed for RF is not physically possible on a DSMC2 body. At least not without an angle grinder... ;-)

Cheers - #19

To be fair, swapping out the front plate of the DSMC1 and 2’s chassis should actually be doable... there is nothing immediately behind the interchangeable mount platform that would prevent RED from seating it back an extra ~3-5mm (a dummy RF mount, anyway)... Rough estimate of ~5mm between the back of the OLPF and the sensor glass. How much was the “Dragon-X 5k” to “Dragon-X 6k” faceplate upgrade? $500~600?

Alas, why would they do that with a soon-to-be end of life product when they can sell you a whole new camera (Komodo/DSMC3) instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    To be fair, swapping out the front plate of the DSMC1 and 2’s chassis should actually be doable... there is nothing immediately behind the interchangeable mount platform that would prevent RED from seating it back an extra ~3-5mm (a dummy RF mount, anyway)... Rough estimate of ~5mm between the back of the OLPF and the sensor glass. How much was the “Dragon-X 5k” to “Dragon-X 6k” faceplate upgrade? $500~600?

Alas, why would they do that with a soon-to-be end of life product when they can sell you a whole new camera (Komodo/DSMC3) instead?
    I've taken some pretty precise measurements regarding this and am an avid user of the Leica-M Mount, which is essentially inset within the camera with a flange focal distance of 27.8mm.

From what I can tell it would require a new top, front, and side chassis and likely new sensor chamber optics and electronics to shave off that extra 7.8mm to get to the 20mm Canon RF requires. I think you could leave the bottom of the camera in tact.

Probably more to do with RF Mount not existing before 2018 more than anything. If I had a spare DSMC1 or busted DSMC2 body laying around I'd tinker to see what's possible. 7.8mm further back is actually larger than you'd think it is and then some sort of locking mechanism. The OLPF in both systems and electronics in DSMC2 come to mind as an issue. DSMC bodies, it's been a while, but there's stuff in there for sure things would hit from what I can see.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon