Thread: Red One Vs Epic Vs everything else

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherrick View Post

15lbs

Shot with it tonight with kids carving pumpkins. It's still great, especially with these Takumars which are probably my favorite combo with this camera.
    Nice config Steve.
    I like the strap.

Had a shoot today with mine and a few more during the week.
    RED ONE is still a viable camera.

Brian Timmons
    BRITIM/MEDIA
    If you love comic books please support the GoFundMe for
    Hy Eisman: A Life in Comics documentary

www.britim-media.com
    IMDB

Steve, that's got to be one of the most mint Red One's out there and thanks for your all reasoned and well informed posts. I configured my Red One MX in a similar fashion thanks to one of your posts in the past - single top handle, ssd module, nikon mount, Rokinon cine primes and battery belt clip with small v mount batts.

On the topic...there's a thread on Blu-ray dot com regarding the anticipated release of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 4K UHD bluray (delayed possibly because Fincher is too busy). Most comment on how they love the film of course but also how great it looks and what 4k and HDR grading will do for it. I recently re-watched the HD bluray on my 65" LG OLED upscaled via an Oppo 4k player and it looked very impressive. They're very savvy on that forum when it comes to how the mastering was achieved, noise reduction, overall PQ ect.

The driving ambition at the beginning for Jim and RED was to create a digital alternative to 35mm film and that was the Red One and watching that film again reminded me of how good it still looks. And as others have already mentioned, still can when properly handled.

That is a great set up Steve. I have most of the stuff, including an Atomos. Will try it out shortly!

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Beaty View Post
    Would it be possible to replace the heavy shell with a 3D printed composite version or carbon fiber? If you don't need internal audio, could the XLR internals be deleted? Could some of the electronics be replaced with smaller more modern versions without worrying about firmware issues? I know it's one of those "but why" projects, but I'm more of a "why not" type of person. I'm also not an engineer so maybe it's all a waste of time.
    Where there's a will... check out this thread on DVXuser: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...-Shrinking-F35

One of the members has bravely opened up his F35 and re-engineered it into a much smaller camera. And there are a lot more Red One cameras out there than F35s.

We just need that one brave engineering soul to take up the mantle of this reengineering project. Would love to see the reengineered R1.

The idea of re-housing the Red One came up many times over the years and I had a conversation with Jarred about it many years ago. Here is a thread from 2010. Keep in Mind, Red One was still a camera being used widely at that point, so it's possible that after a lot of time has passed there would be more openness about modifying the Red One body. I can't recall the specifics of the conversation with Jarred but there may have been some technical reasons why a rehouse was difficult. I know they used a couple on Social network but it may have only been for a small percentage of the shoot and of course they had access to RED support that no one who does the mod now will have access to. Is it worth the gamble? Maybe, if you have snagged a couple of R1's in good shape and can sacrifice them if the mod doesn't go well. The cameras are EOL'd so at this point, they are good as dead if something goes wrong anyway. Better bet might be to keep an eye on Epic X cameras that hit the market over the next 6 months as I suspect these are going to drop way down in price point.
    http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...-Fibre-Upgrade
    Steve Sherrick

Red one Mx in a Komodo body would be exceptional, let's start a request..
    If the demand is high enough, maybe Red will consider this project.

How much would you guys pay for this body upgrade?

Edit : Here is a naked Red one Mx : https://www.instagram.com/p/CARYQQop9lf/
    Feels like an impossible project..
    Last edited by Mendes Nabil; 11-10-2020 at 04:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendes Nabil View Post
    Red one Mx in a Komodo body would be exceptional, let's start a request..
    If the demand is high enough, maybe Red will consider this project.

How much would you guys pay for this body upgrade?

Edit : Here is a naked Red one Mx : https://www.instagram.com/p/CARYQQop9lf/
    Feels like an impossible project..
    Based on the board sizes, they certainly won't fit in a Komodo, which means you'd have to design new boards. And in the end, would probably be more expensive than Komodo. :-)

I think best bet is to embrace the R1 as is. Yes, it's a beast. But, on a tripod, a dolly, a jib it screams cinema camera. And sometimes the weight is actually helpful. You also have 4 audio inputs with decent (not great) preamps that is a big advantage over later bodies. Komodo is a great camera too. I really enjoyed using it. Certainly a different image than R1. Each cam has its strengths and weaknesses.But from a pure image quality perspective (not feel or other subjective qualities) the Komodo has a better image. That doesn't necessarily make it the best camera for a particular project. That's why the R1 still has life. If people like the image it produces, then it might be the better camera for a certain project.

I just know that RED has no interest in bringing back the MX sensor in a new body. The closest you will get to the R1 in a small body is the Epic MX.
    Steve Sherrick

Thank you Steve. I have just bought an Epic MX, to see if I could go past the weight/size issue - but I can't seem to duplicate the Red One look. Perhaps it's just the settings. Really hope I can work out how to, as that would really be ideal. But comparing the Epic with the R1 on YouTube (and features), there's definitely a difference - as far as I can make out. Perhaps the R1 was just a one-off.

Rehan, would you mind posting a comparison? I've always felt that there was a difference with the R1MX coming out on top, but have never seen them directly compared.