Thread: Red One Vs Epic Vs everything else

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Seems like a lot of you are just not aching for that "looking through a window" effect where the image is so resolved and detailed it's like if you were there. Nothing wrong with that.

Removing the technical qualifications for a while (because they are very real, as Björn mentions) I think there are a couple of camps out there. High resolution, HDR and HFR on one side where one might say it's a game of removing any abstraction—as if you're there looking with your own eyes, while the other side of the spectrum is more Lo-Fi and the desired look is to create just the right abstraction: a feel of looking at painterly images or art.

The road to happiness is probably realising the only opinion that counts is one's own. After that it's a question if those types of images hold up in post—which may or may not be the case.

Some will say that you can always take a technically superior image and "degrade" it, but you can't go the other way. Others will realise that there is no need to over spend or over engineer when you're already holding that in your hand, what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Rehan Malik View Post
    BTW do you see a difference between the Red One MX and the Red Epic MX - because I can, on the examples I have seen online. Red One seems more cinem****.
    I noticed this with the (day job) RED ONE vs my personal BT Scarlet MX.
    But I assumed this was normal.
    I've had this argument with coworkers wanting to put the RED ONE to pasture.
    Replaced it with two Panasonic EVA-1s.
    It was a corp decision not a favourable one from my perspective.
    Pure laziness on my teams part :P
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

Quote Originally Posted by AndreeMarkefors View Post
    ...while the other side of the spectrum is more Lo-Fi and the desired look is to create just the right abstraction: a feel of looking at painterly images or art.
    This. Red One MX footage is not a neutral or technically pristine. It's a look that can't really be duplicated. I think that's why there's a few of us who are still using them.

Thanks Eric, glad to see I'm not the only one. As mentioned I pulled out some shots from a small indie film we made 10 years ago on the first Red and it really blew me away. It had a quality I haven't seen since. Would love to see if Red could use the miracles of miniaturisation and create a small prosumer camera which the same internals as the first Red. I'd buy that!

I cannot add much more to this conversation other than I still use and rent out my Red One MX and it will never be replaced until it dies. The biggest complaint I hear about the Red One is of course the weight. Mine fully kitted out is around 35 lbs, I believe.

Would it be possible to replace the heavy shell with a 3D printed composite version or carbon fiber? If you don't need internal audio, could the XLR internals be deleted? Could some of the electronics be replaced with smaller more modern versions without worrying about firmware issues? I know it's one of those "but why" projects, but I'm more of a "why not" type of person. I'm also not an engineer so maybe it's all a waste of time.
    Red One MX SSD / Nikon and Xeen Glass

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Beaty View Post
    I'm also not an engineer so maybe it's all a waste of time.
    We have one collecting dust here, would love someone to DYI that ;)
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Santiago View Post
    We have one collecting dust here, would love someone to DYI that ;)
    I would definitely be willing to give it a try while documenting it, but I most definitely cannot guarantee I can return your Red One in any working condition... or in anything considered a "condition" for that matter. LOL!
    Red One MX SSD / Nikon and Xeen Glass

Great idea Chad! Almost tempted to dust down my engineering degree. But definitely got two left hands. Lets hope an intrepid engineer answers our call!!!

You guys may recall that Red did make some carbon fiber versions for David Fincher on The Social Network. It’s possible but there may have been issues we don’t know about. Remember, R1 generates a lot of heat. The key to getting the camera light short of a new lighter body is to get as many accessories off the camera and use small stills lenses. My original setup had that silly drive battery cage and a Cooke 18-90 lens. That was like carrying a tank on my shoulder. SSD changed the game. Battery belt pack removed a lot of weight too (as long as you can balance it enough for shoulder work). The original EVF which was decent adds too much weight. Go with lighter one or LCD screen. My lightest setup was around 13lbs i think, somewhere in that ballpark. I’ll try to recreate that setup and take some photos. I have Pentax Takumars that are lovely and really light with decent focus mechanisms. Red one eats batteries for lunch. if you could use smaller v-mounts it would be a bit easier on the weight. R1 is the most versatile of all the Red cams in terms of audio. 4 channels. useable mic pres in a pinch. 4.5k RC42 is pretty nice. As someone mentioned it’s not a pristine image like you would see out of a lot of new cameras which for some might be a strength not a weakness. on the right project still very capable.
    Steve Sherrick

15lbs

Shot with it tonight with kids carving pumpkins. It's still great, especially with these Takumars which are probably my favorite combo with this camera.
    Steve Sherrick