Thread: Komodo + DJI RS 2

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Komodo + DJI RS 2 
    Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    So with the news of DJI RS 2, me and probably many others aim for it to be the combo stabilization we want with Komodo. But the new Raveneye requires a video feed in HDMI input.
    How can we solve this either with a converter or similar? If the SDI cannot be converted to HDMI, can we use the Link Adapter?
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

SDI can be converted to HDMI for sure.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...erter_sdi.html

Why not just use RED Control App though for wireless monitoring?
    Last edited by Andrew Reese; 10-15-2020 at 07:10 AM.
    DSMC2 GEMINI + STORMTROOPER KOMODO

The advantage of using the DJI solution is having access to things like focus motor control, active track, force mobile, etc.

Personally I am a little skeptical of the active track feature and the promise that the RS2 can reliable focus manual lenses (fast primes wide open) with as good of success as AF or a human focus puller considering the price point of the system is less than a traditional wireless video T/R system alone. Anyone have experience with active track and how reliably it works? I am a little out of touch with all the info out there in regards to the RS2 but personally it just seems a little gimmicky compared to having a traditional focus puller on a wireless feed or by pulling focus by hand as a single-op for more assurance. If it is truly reliable and legit, that would be awesome and makes me think we may see new technology in the future for AI / Lidar based focus pulling with traditional cinema lenses almost like AF. (i.e. reducing the need for a focus puller). I currently rig my Komodo on a Letus Helix Magnesium (full size) with great success even with heavy cine lenses and I have added arri rosettes to the Helix to replace the hand grips so I can instead use my Tilta FF Handgrips from my Nucleus kits which is quite the awesome combo for pulling focus while running a gimbal as a single-op but If I could instead rely on software to track my subject and adjust focus on manual lenses that would be definitely a reason for me to jump ship from the Helix and grab the new RS2.
    Last edited by Andrew Reese; 10-15-2020 at 08:00 AM.
    DSMC2 GEMINI + STORMTROOPER KOMODO

The 3D focus system is an add-on that isn’t available, yet, so I guess we’ll have to wait to see how good it really is.

I’ve seen decent stuff with active track on the drones. My Ronin S is capable, but it’s cumbersome, because you have to mount your cellphone on top of the camera, as it uses the phone to do the tracking, so I haven’t used it. This new system in the RS-2 actually uses the real camera to do the tracking, so I’d guess it could be pretty decent. I’m sure there are probably examples on YouTube, by now, from the usual suspects that get early access to these things.

I wonder what type of onboard power the Ronin SC2 has....can it power the komodo or any accessories like a teradek bolt....
    EL

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Ciccoline View Post
    The advantage of using the DJI solution is having access to things like focus motor control, active track, force mobile, etc.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the Raven Eye would be for monitoring only. I think you need the USB connection for focus motor control, active track, force mobile, etc. In which case, you'll likely need the Komodo Link ($395) or a USB to Komodo Control Port... and that assumes that DJI and Red can work out the protocol. My RS2 arrives tomorrow so I'll be testing whatever I can. My main plan is to use the Red Control app for wireless control of Komodo.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Lucas View Post
    I wonder what type of onboard power the Ronin SC2 has....can it power the komodo or any accessories like a teradek bolt....
    The "on-board" battery is ~30Wh and there are three USB-C ports on the gimbal for connection to the camera for control, the external focus motor and their wireless video system(mini-HDMI) that feeds their app. I could be wrong, but I doubt you can power a Komodo or Teradek from those ports.

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the RS 2. It feels like it's trying to be a "pro-tool" but no d-tap- which means no easy way to mount a pro focus motor, high nit monitor, or teradek shows me that they came up short. So freaking close, but no cigar.
    Director of Photography
    Co-Founder of naknek

Website
    Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Roberts View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the Raven Eye would be for monitoring only. I think you need the USB connection for focus motor control, active track, force mobile, etc. In which case, you'll likely need the Komodo Link ($395) or a USB to Komodo Control Port... and that assumes that DJI and Red can work out the protocol. My RS2 arrives tomorrow so I'll be testing whatever I can. My main plan is to use the Red Control app for wireless control of Komodo.
    Hopefully you get yours. Unless there was just a glitch in their system and it failed to update, it would appear that B&H is continuing on with their recent pattern of being incapable of fulfilling orders on-time. I ordered mine on Wednesday evening with one-day shipping for delivery on Friday. My order still says “estimated delivery Friday Oct 16th”, but I never received a shipping confirmation or tracking number.

I normally just take the free shipping, because it used to only be two days, but now it’s at least a week. And ironically enough, the last time I used one day shipping(pre-pandemic), they completely dropped the ball on that, as well.