Thread: Red footage and keying

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Red footage and keying 
    There are a lot of options both regarding IPP2 settings (output transformations) and gamma-settings. What is the ideal pipeline for keying on Red footage today?

I've had good success using IPP2, and set the tone mapping to medium/very soft.

If you need more contrast in order to pull a clean key, you can just create an additional input node and ramp up the contrast on that one, pull the key, and export that alpha map into the composite node. That's pretty easy to do in Fusion, Nuke, Mistika, and once you learn the fairly straightforward but surprisingly well hidden trick, it's also very easy to do in Scratch.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik

If you will be using an IPP2 workflow instead of a "Legacy" Red workflow or ACES workflow, I would use a "Color Managed" IPP2 workflow instead of an IPP2 workflow that used "Output Transform Luts. you will have to use a "3D" Qualifier for both but the "Color Managed" workflow will give you the results you are used to in "convientional" keying and qualifying.

3D Qualifier Tool

IPP2 Output Transform

IPP2 Color Managed

Last edited by rand thompson; 10-29-2020 at 08:59 PM.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've generally found the qualifiers being bad when not transforming the grade first. Color separation is lower on LOG footage, or at least all adjustments are hard to fine-tune when the color separation is that low. It gets even better if you apply noise reduction on that transform and then qualify.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Christoffer,

You are correct which is why if you use qualification extensively, I try not to use it at all, then the IPP2 Transform Lut route is probably not the best course of action.

This is why I suggest the Color Managed IPP2 workflow which both allows for Output transform to take place at the end and allows for qualifying the image. Noise reduction would allow for a better qualification. However, if you know for a fact that you will not be delivering your project in anything else than Rec709, then the default Resolve IPP2 workflow might be a better option. But even then you miss out on grading in the RWG/LOG3G10 colorspace and the benefits of Transforming the Rec709 image from that

The IPP2 workflow doesn't really lend itself all that well to qualification, hence the reason for philmColor luts.
    Last edited by rand thompson; 11-04-2020 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    The IPP2 workflow doesn't really lend itself all that well to qualification, hence the reason for philmColor luts.
    I haven't used any of Phil's LUTs (no offense to Phil, of course), but I've had no trouble using qualification. You just need to know what you're doing. There are plenty of tricks you can use to pull a nice clean key from log footage, but one of those tricks does involve using color management to your advantage. And another is to cheat and use a secondary layer (i.e. Scratch) or node (i.e. Mistika, Resolve) to build a key on.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik