Thread: RED Mini Mag offload footage problems.

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 RED Mini Mag offload footage problems. 
    I keep having issues with both my MINI mags when I go to copy files off of it my PC laptop and Desktop stops and freezes randomly and have to shut down the computer restart and try again.

I have tried this with two different mini mags, two different G Tech card readers, two different PC, and two different external hard drives.

I have the drives formatted with the red camera as Exfat and the external drives I am off loading to as Exfat.

Also I was copying with just windows explorer.

I have more trouble with MACs where I can't get various MAC pro laptops to mount them or take a very long time for the mac to mount them. I gave up a while ago off loading on a mac because of this issue.

What is going on?

Haven't seen that one yet, but if you're having issues with the readers on both systems I'd look to that and perhaps the cable first. That's certainly unusual and not common especially if using two different mags.

If you are using larger capacity 1TB media it's common particular on Mac for them to take a minute to mount, like let them sit a while. That one is a Mac thing and well known. UDF is worse on load time.

I guess the other thing to ask is what are the two external hard drives and how are they connected?

But my instinct tells me it's the reader or cable related.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Haven't seen that one yet, but if you're having issues with the readers on both systems I'd look to that and perhaps the cable first. That's certainly unusual and not common especially if using two different mags.

If you are using larger capacity 1TB media it's common particular on Mac for them to take a minute to mount, like let them sit a while. That one is a Mac thing and well known. UDF is worse on load time.

I guess the other thing to ask is what are the two external hard drives and how are they connected?

But my instinct tells me it's the reader or cable related.
    So you recommend not to use UDF format and stick with FAT32?

Does anyone have a USB 3.0 Type-A Male to Micro-B Male brand they recommend to use with the G-Tech Red Mag reader and external drives?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Sutton-Hough View Post
    So you recommend not to use UDF format and stick with FAT32?

Does anyone have a USB 3.0 Type-A Male to Micro-B Male brand they recommend to use with the G-Tech Red Mag reader and external drives?
    Some people need UDF to deliver non-segmented ProRes clips which are normally split into 4GB chunks via FAT32 and that's why UDF primarily why it exists from what I recall. Other than that, I don't have much need for it and personally don't use it. But I'm filming only REDCODE RAW 99.9% of the time.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Some people need UDF to deliver non-segmented ProRes clips which are normally split into 4GB chunks via FAT32 and that's why UDF primarily why it exists from what I recall. Other than that, I don't have much need for it and personally don't use it. But I'm filming only REDCODE RAW 99.9% of the time.
    Same here, I rarely shoot ProRes but because of that issue with prores I always have the cards formatted UDF. Maybe I will switch back and see if I have less problems off loading.