Thread: Resale value of new Komodo?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 Resale value of new Komodo? 
    I can't really justify purchasing a Komodo, because video production makes up only a small percentage of my work, and the Canon R I already own performs quite well in that capacity. However, I was thinking about ordering one using my Hydrogen One discount and reselling it, but I can't decide if that would be worth my time and effort. Does anyone have any idea how much I'd be able to resell a brand new, unopened Komodo for?

I would say it's not worth your time.

Yes, you can make a few hundred dollars but unless you're a student where a few hundred dollars is a lot of money, you can make that in one day with a regular gig.

The hassles alone is a pain.
    - Shipping costs if not local
    - Did it arrive or not?
    - What if the buyer claims it's broken? or wants their money back because they think it's a lemon?
    - Transferring ownership of your name to the buyer's name
    - By the time you get your Komodo, it will be out in the masses. You will sell for less to entice a buyer and even with the discount of Hydrogen, you will lose time posting the ad, answering questions, meeting or shipping.
    - Also as a first time poster on Reduser, most red users won't trust you cause they don't know you and you haven't been in the community long enough to be established. Low posting count sounds more like a scam artist when they sell stuff.

Anyhow, as mentioned, it might not be worth the money you make just to gain a few hundred. Just my opinion.
    Movme inc.
    Scarlet-X, Epic-X, Dragon, Epic-W, Komodo
    MacBook Pro 6 core, FCP-X, OSEE, Dynacore Tiny Batteries, DJI RS2

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Wil.

Yeah, most of the things you listed I've certainly considered, and if I can only net a hundred dollars or so, I probably won't bother. As to being a first time poster here on reduser, well, of course that would be the case, since the only RED-branded product I've ever owned is the Hydrogen One, which had its own h4vuser site (where I've been a registered user ever since the Hydrogen One was released). However, it seems that most h4vuser members who actually own RED cameras abandoned that site en masse quite some time ago, so I thought I'd be able to receive more insightful responses to my inquiry here on reduser.

Another scenario I've considered is to use the Komodo for a while to see if it's worth keeping. And if I decided that, for my uses, it's just overkill, I was thinking I might be able to resell it at or near my purchase price.

Anyway, I'm currently mulling over my options before my H1 discount expires.
    Last edited by John Corkery; 10-21-2020 at 01:32 PM.

Not sure how it works but, if the Hydrogen discount is really what's valuable, maybe you sell the Hydrogen to someone who definitely wants to buy a Komodo-- and actually use the Hydrogen with it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Corkery View Post
    I can't really justify purchasing a Komodo, because video production makes up only a small percentage of my work, and the Canon R I already own performs quite well in that capacity. However, I was thinking about ordering one using my Hydrogen One discount and reselling it, but I can't decide if that would be worth my time and effort. Does anyone have any idea how much I'd be able to resell a brand new, unopened Komodo for?
    Sounds like a total PIA as Wil so eloquently points out.

Quote Originally Posted by M Harvey View Post
    Not sure how it works but, if the Hydrogen discount is really what's valuable, maybe you sell the Hydrogen to someone who definitely wants to buy a Komodo-- and actually use the Hydrogen with it.

Only the original registered user of the hydrogen qualifies for the discount.
    C.S.C. Associate Member
    If I don't own it I rent it...

Quote Originally Posted by M Harvey View Post
    Yeah, before the terms of the discount were recently revealed, I'd been wondering if I could sell my phone or its relevant ID/serial number to recoup some of the funds I'd invested in the H1 based on its promised expandability through add-on modules. But apparently the discount is only valid for original buyers who still possess their H1.

Yea, this has been discussed at length in our FB owners group.. Its pretty sketchy to try since RED does alot of verifying before they supply the discount... The discount is for loyalty and not really something to be passed on.
    1st AC | Movi Operator | Shotover & Freefly Pilot | RED Komodo ST #839 | Nikon Z6 Shooter | DZO Film 20-55

#crashingisntanoption

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kommers View Post
    Yea, this has been discussed at length in our FB owners group.. Its pretty sketchy to try since RED does alot of verifying before they supply the discount... The discount is for loyalty and not really something to be passed on.
    Definitely wasn't going to try that, which is why I'm inquiring about the resale value of a new Komodo.

Quote Originally Posted by John Corkery View Post
    snip:

Another scenario I've considered is to use the Komodo for a while to see if it's worth keeping. And if I decided that, for my uses, it's just overkill, I was thinking I might be able to resell it at or near my purchase price.

Anyway, I'm currently mulling over my options before my H1 discount expires.
    This seems like the most sensible approach. I'm looking at the same thing - I have an R5 coming but also been a RED owner since R1 and 4 more reds since. I'll probably get the Komodo and see how it shapes up against the R5 and also for my underwater work - to see which I want to keep - or both (The combined cost to keep both is still much cheaper than any of the other cameras I have had over the past 12 years).

With the discount, I probably wouldn't lose much if sold used in six months or so.
    Save the Sharks
    RED Komodo soon. Original Manufacturer of RedOne & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. RED owner since REDONE SN206. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 (send a text first-having to use spam blocker these days) ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

John, you could always rent it out when you're not using it, depending on your location. That would help recoup potential costs. With that said, do keep in mind that you need to spend another few thousand dollars to kit the camera to a usable state. I've purchased almost the bare minimum for my Komodo, and it was still another $3,000.