Thread: RF to PL... with /i data support?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1 RF to PL... with /i data support? 
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,245
    Not sure if this has been covered in the numerous threads - I couldn't seem to find anything.

    Is there an RF to PL lens mount adapter, that can transfer (Cooke) /i data to the Komodo body? Is it even possible? It's not a dealbreaker for me; I've already got a 'dumb' RF/PL adapter and a Komodo on order.

    But if it was possible I'd buy a smart RF/PL adapter that passed along /i in a heartbeat! I have a bunch of /i lenses and really like the lens info on screen when shooting, and being able to call it up in post from the meta data. So any electronic lens tech wizards out there willing to tackle this?


    G.
    C.S.C. Associate Member
    If I don't own it I rent it...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member John Marchant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Normandy, England
    Posts
    2,170
    We’ve got a design for this in CAD- but it’s meaningless unless Red can re-purpose the RF pins in camera firmware to speak the right protocol. We did ask about this early on, but obviously there are higher priorities, regardless of whether there are any roadblocks in the hardware or not. Not conceptually impossible, at least on the lens adapter side.
    KipperTie - Authorised RED Rental, Pinewood Studios, UK
    Ready to hire: Monstro 8K VV | Gemini 5K | Helium Monochrome 8K
    Check out our Revolva ND solution, OLPFs and other products
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,245
    Thanks John!

    The 'dumb' RF/PL mount that I bought... is the KipperTie version, and I'm about to order a second. So if the firmware grows to allow communication; put me down for two!
    C.S.C. Associate Member
    If I don't own it I rent it...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member Jacek Zakowicz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,403
    I don't think Red will re purpose the RF pins- that would nullify the RF lens communication. The proper way to do that would be electronics inside the adapter that will "translate" the i-data to the Canon protocol. I don't think the market size warrants the investment. I could be wrong...
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member Tommaso Alvisi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    ITALY
    Posts
    2,252
    Canon is finalizing their version of the PL to RF adapter with Cooke /i Tech pins for their C70 and future CXX/CXXX RF-mount based cameras...

    RED could just add fw support for it...

    And then someone (John! Jacek! Krzysztof!) should make a bracket to lock it in place on the Komodo ;-)

    On their cameras it will use the 4 locking screws like the Canon EF to RF SpeedBooster on the C70 to help supporting the weight and stop rotation.
    TOMMASO ALVISI | tommasoalvisi.com
    Weapon 6K Carbon Fiber #1605 aka qp
    instagram | twitter
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member Jacek Zakowicz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,403
    That's a good point Tommaso, Canon is in the Cine game and for them it is a walk in the park to do that. That is great news!!!!
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommaso Alvisi View Post
    Canon is finalizing their version of the PL to RF adapter with Cooke /i Tech pins for their C70 and future CXX/CXXX RF-mount based cameras...

    RED could just add fw support for it...

    And then someone (John! Jacek! Krzysztof!) should make a bracket to lock it in place on the Komodo ;-)

    On their cameras it will use the 4 locking screws like the Canon EF to RF SpeedBooster on the C70 to help supporting the weight and stop rotation.


    Thanks for the info - I'll keep my eyes open for that.
    C.S.C. Associate Member
    If I don't own it I rent it...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member Michael Hastings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    I don't think Red will re purpose the RF pins- that would nullify the RF lens communication. The proper way to do that would be electronics inside the adapter that will "translate" the i-data to the Canon protocol. ..........
    Even if the translation is inside the adapter - wouldn't this require RED to reverse engineer the camera side protocol?

    Given that RED so far does not support RF lenses and as far as I can tell no timeline or OFFICIAL statement that it definitely will be supported in some relatively near time frame - that might not be so easy.
    Save the Sharks
    __________________
    RED Komodo soon. Original Manufacturer of RedOne & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. RED owner since REDONE SN206. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 (send a text first-having to use spam blocker these days) ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member Jacek Zakowicz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,403
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hastings View Post
    Even if the translation is inside the adapter - wouldn't this require RED to reverse engineer the camera side protocol?

    Given that RED so far does not support RF lenses and as far as I can tell no timeline or OFFICIAL statement that it definitely will be supported in some relatively near time frame - that might not be so easy.
    They cracked the EF they will crack the RF. I have no doubt
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member Michael Hastings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    They cracked the EF they will crack the RF. I have no doubt
    But when? Would like to see some OFFICIAL announcement or timeline from RED.

    Might have had some help on EF .

    EF was around for over 20 years before and was cracked by multiple others already well before RED and was presumably beyond patent and may not have been encrypted or protected.

    Has anyone cracked RF on the camera side?
    Might it be better protected?
    Would there be a patent issue?
    Is there enough water on the moon?

    There might be more reason for Canon to protect the protocol and/or enforce related patents/trade secrets since they now have their own Cinema cameras that use the mount and that could be a differentiating feature.
    Save the Sharks
    __________________
    RED Komodo soon. Original Manufacturer of RedOne & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. RED owner since REDONE SN206. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 (send a text first-having to use spam blocker these days) ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts