Thread: 4x4 vs 4x5.65 ND Filters

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 4x4 vs 4x5.65 ND Filters 
    Just wondering if 4x4 ND filters will work with most lenses. I have mostly prime lenses, only one fast zoom, and it's designed for 4x4 filters.

Depends greatly on the lenses and if the filters and filter holder/matte box covering the lenses and not blocking coverage.

My advice for most cinema professionals is to use 4x5.65" filters and has been for a long, long time.

If you are merely shooting with 80mm OD glass, you likely can get away with 4x4". But if you are shooting wide and with glass in the 95 OD range and up, well, best to do what everybody else does.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Depends greatly on the lenses and if the filters and filter holder/matte box covering the lenses and not blocking coverage.

My advice for most cinema professionals is to use 4x5.65" filters and has been for a long, long time.

If you are merely shooting with 80mm OD glass, you likely can get away with 4x4". But if you are shooting wide and with glass in the 95 OD range and up, well, best to do what everybody else does.
    Thanks, I do have some 95mm fronts, but both work with 4x4 filters I believe. I worry about using a 50mm square front Lomo, but Raf camera makes a 95mm front step up ring that I think I can use. I suppose if I were using a 35mm Lomo square front that would not work?

What brands do you like btw? I will be using these primarily on S16 film and Alexa.

My 7-63mm t2.6 zoom has a 4x4 matte box, so it would be convenient to share parts as I already have NDs for it and Classic Softs.