Thread: Frustration sending BMD Ursa Mini Pro G2 in for repair (or replacement) for 3rd time.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Frustration sending BMD Ursa Mini Pro G2 in for repair (or replacement) for 3rd time. 
    I switched from Red to BMD cameras. Thought I'd share my current predicament here.

I shoot a mix of commercial, corporate, doco and narrative content. I think RED is excellent for narrative and commercial work, not so much for Corporate and doco.
    What do you think you would be doing in my position? Seeing how you go with the next repair (or replacement)?

My current thinking is rent a c300mkiii and an FX9 and see how I feel about them in production and post. Then if I have another issue with the G2, jump on one of those straight away...
    Last edited by Dean Butler; 10-27-2020 at 12:26 AM.

I think complaining about it on a Red Camera user group is not very effective. Have you posted this to the BMD Camera Forum?
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Marc - I share your POV

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    I think complaining about it on a Red Camera user group is not very effective. Have you posted this to the BMD Camera Forum?
    Hey Mark, in the Ursa FB group. Posted here because I posted a video here a year ago about why I was leaving RED for BMD. That had a mixed response lol. Just being transparent about the issues I'm having now, after having zero reliability issues with Red cameras in the 6 years I had them. Also, this is the off topic section ;-)

It can't hurt to post in BM's own forum.

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/.

The BM cams I have had a look at inside are not modular. There are no subassemblies you can swap out. Even the sockets for inputs and outputs are on permanent ribbon cables spliced into the single main PCB. So if something goes "vvtt" and the camera lays down, an entire main board including all the cables and sockets hanging off it or entire sensor assembly has to be replaced. You have to be very,very careful with those ribbon cables. Tear one and the game is over. Monitor/touch controller screens, the sensor assembly and media docks seem to be the only pieces which detach from the main PCB with strip connectors.

Hey Dean, I remember that older "leaving Red" video.
    Anyhow, here's a copy paste of my YouTube reply ( I think they call this cross-posting ;P):

Since you feel so tied to the Blackmagic post-production pipeline I'd say hold on to the G2, get yourself an A7SIII and wait for the G2 successor. The A7SIII is not too expensive, will pack small and it'll always come out handy to have such a tiny full featured camera on you, even after the "G3" comes out.
    I'd also experiment with seeing how the Sony A7SIII in PRORES RAW works for you and matches with the G2. The 12 Bit Log RAW of the Sony should have noticeably improved DR data information than its in-built 4-2-2 codecs (and maybe be better than the Pocket 6K DR too? No one has done extensive testing of this alas). Really hoping the URSA Mini G3 will have an RF mount!!

Personally I appreciate the perspective on both videos.

Heres my perspective... I've had no issues with my URSA G2 after quite a lot of use (touch wood..)

Blackmagic has got some issues with quality (ive had previous URSA with a faulty screen, but sorted with warranty). but they are so cheap that you can own a second body if you want backup. I like that BM are trying there best to offer pretty good cameras at a reasonable price. In my earlier days as a photographer - stills cameras (especially medium format) broke down all the time, so you had to have two cameras with you all the time.

FYI, my MacBook Pro 15 " has had three replacement keyboards (that includes the top plates with battery), a new screen and a logic board and the USB-c all within the 3 year warranty.... but ill still buy the 16inch next.

Paul

Dean, I was just observing that the complaints would be better aimed at BlackMagic. I perceive that the RED users are less sympathetic to troubles users are having with other brands. Good luck on resolution (as trouble in any form is un-fun).

[QUOTE=paul ross jones;1914587] Blackmagic has got some issues with quality.... [/QUOTE

They do, and when people point this out, they usually get attacked by their users. Sounds familiar, doesn't it.

It's what's kept me from buying their cameras, even though I've come close, I always come back to this. Reliability is also part of every professional camera's spec sheet (even if it cannot be quantified or listed on a spec sheet). Sony/Canon/Panasonic have better reputations. Just my opinion.