Thread: The Queen's Gambit (Netflix Series) - Shot on RED Ranger Monstro

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 The Queen's Gambit (Netflix Series) - Shot on RED Ranger Monstro 
    The Queen's Gambit
    Netflix Series TV-MA | Drama | TV Mini-Series (2020– )

Creators: Scott Frank, Scott Allan, Allan Scott
    Stars: Anya Taylor-Joy, Chloe Pirrie, Bill Camp

Storyline

Nine year-old orphan Beth Harmon is quiet, sullen, and by all appearances unremarkable. That is, until she plays her first game of chess. Her senses grow sharper, her thinking clearer, and for the first time in her life she feels herself fully in control. By the age of sixteen, she's competing for the U.S. Open championship. But as Beth hones her skills on the professional circuit, the stakes get higher, her isolation grows more frightening, and the thought of escape becomes all the more tempting. Based on the book by Walter Tevis.

Technical Specifications

Sound Mix: Stereo
    Color: Color (DolbyVision)
    Aspect Ratio: 1.78 : 1

Camera: Red Ranger Monstro
    Lenses: Zeiss Supreme Prime Lenses
    Laboratory: Light Iron, Los Angeles (CA), USA (digital intermediate)
    Negative Format: Redcode RAW
    Cinematographic Process: Digital Intermediate (4K) (master format), Redcode RAW (8K) (source format)
    Printed Film Format: 4K Video (UHD)

https://youtu.be/CDrieqwSdgI

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10048342/?ref_=tt_mv

Last edited by Neil Abeynayake; 10-28-2020 at 10:43 PM.

This show looks excellent! I love the wide dynamic range of the lighting, and the Monstro seems to be holding detail even in the brightest areas of the frame like white curtain sheers.

There is a faint grid pattern in the bokeh now and then, too small to be from net diffusion, I think it might be from using Black Satin or Black Diffusion/FX filters, they have a printed grid of black dots on the glass. But I could be wrong.
    David Mullen, ASC
    Los Angeles
    http://www.davidmullenasc.com

Quote Originally Posted by David Mullen ASC View Post
    This show looks excellent! I love the wide dynamic range of the lighting, and the Monstro seems to be holding detail even in the brightest areas of the frame like white curtain sheers.
    There have already been a few IMDB reviews that mentioned the cinematography. Red needs to license some footage for its Monstro reel.

On a side note, it is so cool to see this story on the "silver screen". I mean, it's essentially a story about a young woman who loves chess!

It's a good one, worth watching. They are doing really nice things with bright, creamy side and backlighting to create beautiful portraiture and skin tones.
    Epic Dragon #4048

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Winokur View Post
    It's a good one, worth watching. They are doing really nice things with bright, creamy side and backlighting to create beautiful portraiture and skin tones.
    For sure, and you will notice that the DOP had a lighting look for her that was consistent with most three-quarter looks to the camera. Like a good old fashioned lighting love affair between the lead actress and the DOP, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by David Mullen ASC View Post

There is a faint grid pattern in the bokeh now and then, too small to be from net diffusion, I think it might be from using Black Satin or Black Diffusion/FX filters, they have a printed grid of black dots on the glass. But I could be wrong.
    Have you tried one of the newer diffusion filters released by Tokina Cinema by the name "Black Alchemy Diffusion" Filter series?

During the manufacturing process, they add fine black volcanic dust into the mix and it gives this unique look that mimic the diffusion applied in this movie.

Big huge shout out to Steve for doing a beautiful job on this with the Monster Ranger.

Excellent cinematography and production design!
    Steve Sherrick

That's a beautiful show. We just watched Episode #4 last night -- the one set in Mexico City -- and they did some pretty amazing crane shots in the hotel lobby, which I suspect could have been interior drones. This must have been an incredible amount of trouble, given that it's a period show set mostly in the mid-1960s. Series star Anya Taylor-Joy is an incredible actress with a unique look, and they do a great job a bringing out her beauty. Looks fantastic in 4K HDR on Netflix.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

This show is inspiring.
    All around a great job from script to post.
    Heck, my wife is commenting on the cinematography and I'm too enthralled with the storyline/look to stop and talk about it ;)
    A few episodes left, so I'll just rewatch and go over the finer points later :)
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >