Thread: BMPC6k vs Komodo...

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 BMPC6k vs Komodo... 
    Hello all! I have preordered Komodo and waiting for it to arrive...
    In the meantime, I'm seeing quite a lot of comments comparing Komodo and BMPCC 6k and people are bashing about how Komodo is not worth its price in terms of image quality.
    I've been using mirrorless up until now (Sony a7s3 and Panasonic s1h..) and I'm excited to get my new cine cam which is the new Komodo!! However, at the same time, I'm kind of confused whenever I look at these comparison footages uploaded on Youtube..

Lighting > camera
    Zakaree Sandberg
    Zakaree@Gmail.com
    Cinematographer / Local 600
    www.Zakaree.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zakaree Sandberg View Post
    Lighting > camera
    Totally agreed... May be I was expecting too much from the Komodo's new sensor. ;)

I haven’t used black magic but I can confirm everything is shit compared to red. I promise your confidence will go up because your back is COVERED with red. It is not the same with mirror less as I have learned on my first recent non red products.

BIG DIFFERENCE THERE.

However I think black magic sits in the middle.

* Red RAW.

& ease of menus, build quality.

I wish more people would weigh in though. I’m hoping to go Komodo and I most likely will but yes it’s 3-4xthe price.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    * Red RAW.

& ease of menus, build quality.

I wish more people would weigh in though. I’m hoping to go Komodo and I most likely will but yes it’s 3-4xthe price.
    Thanks Andrew!! :D
    I believe I will learn a ton from using Komodo for sure. Since you mentioned its build quality, is Red camera known for good build quality?? I did look up for any build quality issue in this forum but I could not. I guess that means it's reliable and hoping same for Komodo :D

I haven’t used black magic but I can confirm everything is shit compared to red. I promise your confidence will go up because your back is COVERED with red. It is not the same with mirror less as I have learned on my first recent non red products.

BIG DIFFERENCE THERE.

However I think black magic sits in the middle.
    jeez....
    Motion Pictures and Film Professional

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Cha View Post
    Hello all! I have preordered Komodo and waiting for it to arrive...
    In the meantime, I'm seeing quite a lot of comments comparing Komodo and BMPCC 6k and people are bashing about how Komodo is not worth its price in terms of image quality.
    I've been using mirrorless up until now (Sony a7s3 and Panasonic s1h..) and I'm excited to get my new cine cam which is the new Komodo!! However, at the same time, I'm kind of confused whenever I look at these comparison footages uploaded on Youtube..
    Because most YouTubers are just YouTubers who earn money on ads. They are not photographers, they are not cinematographers and they tailor their content towards the same thing as any other click-bait business out there. There are very few true quality creators on YouTube and very few who are also true artists and professionals.

Just because someone has a channel with thousands of followers doesn't mean they have anything of value to bring to the table. This is the reality of the times we live in now; anyone can create and upload, anyone who can spin the wheels of marketing can market themselves to be more than who they are. YouTube is all about marketing yourself and your content, NOT to produce good content. Only a few put up their content on YouTube as a means of sharing their actual art and craftsmanship.

All of this has created a generation of wannabes whose main skill is about creating the illusion that they are much more than they actually are and everything is about maintaining that illusion while followers act like cultists who agree with everything they say because of their YouTube fame rather than the knowledge they provide.

Finding out who is worth listening to and following on YouTube requires research into who they are, which most people won't ever feel they have the time to do. The democratization of content creation through channels like YouTube has put a huge responsibility on the viewer being critical and knowledgeable of how to navigate information online. Something that is heavily ignored in the world today.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Cha View Post
    Totally agreed... May be I was expecting too much from the Komodo's new sensor. ;)
    So the 3 stops more of DR and global shutter is not... more? Stop listening to BS YouTubers and do your own research. Go down to a rental service and test both cameras.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

I haven’t used black magic but I can confirm everything is shit compared to red.
    That's some real solid intel right there...

I own a P6K. It captures a competitive image in a number of frame rates, notably 6K@50 fps or 60 fps if at 2.4:1. The compressed raw codec, .braw has both 'constant quality' and 'constant bitrate' flavors. The clips can be trimmed and still stay .braw. to reduce footage footprint after a shoot. The Blackmagic Design color space and Blackmagic Film log curve are large enough and flat enough, respectively, to not get in the way.

I would not recommend anyone to buy a Komodo based on the notion that it will create better looking images.

The Komodo has a slightly larger sensor than the P6K and a more modern RF mount. While the larger sensor isn't large enough to make a meaningful difference per se, I like the idea of a closer match between mount and sensor. By this I mean that the EF and RF mounts are designed for FF and with a smaller sensor you are giving away part of the image circle. Here the RF-mount proves to be more versatile: you can use ND-adapters and Speedboosters. And even if you want to use the mount straight up, or with a straight up EF-RF dumb adapter, you still have the option to use modern RF glass going forward.

The Global Shutter aspect of the Komodo is pretty huge for some.

I would argue that practical stuff like that is worth considering, plus the brand name RED itself—since it's very established in commercials and films.

Apart from that, if someone just wants a personal camera that shoots professional quality footage, I would not hesitate to recommend the P6K with a Kinotehnik BM5 loupe. It can't be beat in terms of performance per $.