Thread: Mini Mac Pro?

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    We’re going to see more variants of the M1 that have additional clock speed options, more RAM, more CPU/GPU cores... These are the first pitch, the initial offering. Honestly, I think the ones who will benefit the most from these new M1 systems at this time are developers who are building universal or Apple SoC native apps who didn’t get the DTK. But the systems are great. If you need a new MB Air, it’s a great time to buy one. If you need a new 13” Pro, hmmm... maybe. It’s a much more powerful system than the Intel based one, but you’re also going to be restricted by software translation and some compatibility concerns until you can get running mostly native apps. I don’t have specific benchmark scores for my MBP 13. And if I did, I couldn’t share just yet. Apple doesn’t want us posting such things until the various tech bloggers and reviewers can do their thing in a few more days as systems arrive. But as we’re seeing with the MB Air benchmarks leaking out on GeekBench and some other such things, it’s no slouch of a system. I’m doing some testing on mine here, but I’m really using it 90% for Xcode and real dev work. The Pro is more powerful than the Air as it’s clocked faster and has a cooling system, the Air is passively cooled.

At this time, I can speak to how powerful it is and that it looks very, very promising. But I just can’t make any direct recommendation as to buying one. I know I wouldn’t feel comfortable taking it on location for any serious video/film/photography project. No doubt in my mind about the hardware being up to the task. This is a software concern at the moment. I’m sure I’ll have a better answer to that in the coming weeks. That said, I’m getting some native apps. Affinity Photo and Designer are now native. MS Office being native is helpful but in no way shows anything about performance. And once I have native versions of Resolve and other things, it will be interesting to see how they run. But running Resolve on a 13” notebook isn’t really how I want to run it. And the 16GB RAM is a non-starter for a lot of uses.

@Enrique - this is a tough one. I think you, and many here, would be best served to wait a bit longer for an updated 16” with Apple SoC and 32+ GB RAM. There will be a lot more native software available by then and a lot of the kinks worked out. I’m not sure how long it will take for those to arrive. I’m betting we’ll see the 16” and iMac offerings early next year.

Of course, if you need it now, you need it. The 16” is a great system. I bought a 16” when it came out. It’s great, I use it almost daily. And it should last me another year or two and I can replace it with a 2nd or maybe 3rd generation Apple SoC system.
    Thanks Jeff. Very informative.
    Bit surprised these 1st chips from Apple are punching this hard out of their weight class.

Brian Timmons
    BRITIM/MEDIA
    If you love comic books please support the GoFundMe for
    Hy Eisman: A Life in Comics documentary

www.britim-media.com
    IMDB

I use mainly Premiere and finish in Resolve

Thank you Jeff, I'll ponder over your suggestions, I'm on a tight budget, maybe I'll push the Proxy workflow to its limit until the right time comes

That's fast:
    Resolve already pushed out a Native 17.1 update, with support for Apple Silicon:
    https://ymcinema.com/2020/11/13/davi...s-for-m1-macs/

They are claiming x5 performance improvements with current generation (!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Santiago View Post
    You know were talking about Apple ;)
    Maybe I'll just ditch Premiere for a while and keep everything inside DaVinci

Just read this "The M1 13-inch MacBook Pro will outperform the MacBook Air in sustained performance, not because it has a better CPU or GPU, but because it has a fan that allows the high performance cores to run faster for longer stretches. (The M1 Mac Mini has even more thermal headroom, because it’s a bigger enclosure and isn’t battery-powered, and thus is the fastest machine of the three. But because it isn’t battery powered, it seemingly has the fewest advantages over its equivalent Intel predecessor.) "

I'm a huge Apple fan but none of this is enough for me to lean towards an M1.
    I plan on updating my 6-year-old MBP this Jan and still looking at the 16" 2020 model.
    I need something to work now with everything and I'm sure it'll be a year (or less) before we get a 16".
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

Thanks to Jeff (as always) for giving his perspective here. Looking forward to people testing out the Mini and Pro for editing. Guess we will see quite a few review in the coming week.
    I'm tempted to get a Mini to try out the M1

Quote Originally Posted by Enrique Blein View Post
    Just read this "The M1 13-inch MacBook Pro will outperform the MacBook Air in sustained performance, not because it has a better CPU or GPU, but because it has a fan that allows the high performance cores to run faster for longer stretches. (The M1 Mac Mini has even more thermal headroom, because it’s a bigger enclosure and isn’t battery-powered, and thus is the fastest machine of the three. But because it isn’t battery powered, it seemingly has the fewest advantages over its equivalent Intel predecessor.) "
    Yes, the M1 SoC used for the new Air, MBP and Mini are all the same. The Air is passively cooled and operates at 3.2 GHz. It seems the MBP also runs at 3.2GHz, but can sustain full performance without throttling back since it has the cooling fan system. The Mini has a beefed up fan and cooling pipe and I have not seen actual confirmation, but I think it runs at 3.4GHz. *EDIT* New Mac Mini also runs at 3.2GHz.

I’m not sure what that last sentence in the quoted paragraph is trying to say...?
    Last edited by Jeff Kilgroe; 11-15-2020 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Correction.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.