Thread: Mini Mac Pro?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Jeff:

How does the new 13" MacBook Pro compare to the earlier 2020 I bought a few months back? Paid a lot more than $1995.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports)
    2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    32 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X
    Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB

BTW Apple promo for new one says first 13" configurable to 32GB - when obviously mine was configured with 32gb

------

PS:

The store wasn't updated when I first looked at this. It appears the M1 chip is only for the the two lower end and max 16gb ram - higher end is still Intel like I have.

Still curious how the m1 chip versions compare for editing on non apple programs like Resolve.
    Save the Sharks
    RED Komodo soon. Original Manufacturer of RedOne & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. RED owner since REDONE SN206. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 (send a text first-having to use spam blocker these days) ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

Should be pretty comparable for general CPU tasks that don’t utilize more than 4 cores, but it’s not that simple. The new one has 8 cores and absolutely crushes through stuff built as a native app. It’s a much tighter integrated product and a lot more efficient. The new one is said to be configurable to 32GB, but we can only order with 16GB. They sent me one with 16GB, which is fine for my 13”. The biggest improvement I see vs. my 2018 is the whole system just being a lot snappier and it is definitely more powerful. Noticeably a lot faster building Xcode projects. Working in Unity is actually possible on the 13” with their GPU. My 2018 was a dog in Unity. OTOH, it’s not a great system for Unity anyway just because the screen is too small, but that’s a different problem.

Final Cut is way more responsive and capable on the system with ProRes footage. I have not tried R3D clips lately and will revisit, I had some issues with getting R3D to work last week. I have not attempted DaVinci Resolve. R3D support may need a native update from RED and I haven’t asked if they have it up and running. I’m curious to see how the Metal acceleration for R3D will translate to these systems.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    Final Cut is way more responsive and capable on the system with ProRes footage...
    As I refresh this topic Im suffering in Premiere on a 2019 Mac Pro :P
    For some weird reason, its been acting like a dog for the last few days.
    And im in Proxy mode.
    Just getting that sticky interface feeling :P

Okay back to the topic.
    I will def wait for a 16" M1 and maybe M2 ;)
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

They mentioned briefly in the keynote that the Mbp could playback 8K without dropping frames (while showing Resolve on the screen).
    Guess we are talking prores and not R3D, but still

If these M1 chips are that good, couldn't they just add multiple sets of M1 chips and memory to work together for the Pro lineup? We had dual processor Mac Pros, why not double or even quadruple that into a multicore all in one machine? Seems a bit silly to just hold back and make us wait a year or more if something like that would be possible already.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Birlew View Post
    If these M1 chips are that good, couldn't they just add multiple sets of M1 chips and memory to work together for the Pro lineup? We had dual processor Mac Pros, why not double or even quadruple that into a multicore all in one machine? Seems a bit silly to just hold back and make us wait a year or more if something like that would be possible already.
    You know were talking about Apple ;)

The M1 is designed around a GPU ceiling - met by an integrated GPU with a high speed (and very low latency) fabric.
    It may be an exemplary design to minimise the average power consumption - but is Not architected to reach maximal desktop performance.

Rather than multiple M1s (4 high power cores, medium speed shared memory with a medium power GPU, and 4 lower power cores), a more optimal solution could entail 12 (or 16) high power cores, (very) HBM memory - and a lot of it (>= 32GB).

It will be interesting to see if Apple adds additional hardware accelerators, TB4, and what they are going to do about a desktop GPU fabric.
    There are also ARM (ISA) language extension that Apple have not yet supported that can more effectively target certain (research) workloads (than a GPU).

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Birlew View Post

Hi Jeff, maybe you can offer some advice. I have been struggling with my MacBook from Early 2014 always using proxies. Now got into the Sony A7s III, everything suddenly is 4K 120 fps etc and of course my laptop is a pain in the ass to deal with. I was looking at the 16 inch full specs and $3400 suddenly looks too much compared to the new 13 inch M1 with 16 RAM, should I go with the new MB (13 " M1) ? I mainly do small corporate gigs, very few effects, some DaVinci every now and then...

Quote Originally Posted by Enrique Blein View Post
    Hi Jeff, maybe you can offer some advice. I have been struggling with my MacBook from Early 2014 always using proxies.
    What do you edit in?
    Currently, FCP(X?) and I think Resolve is coded for the M1.

We’re going to see more variants of the M1 that have additional clock speed options, more RAM, more CPU/GPU cores... These are the first pitch, the initial offering. Honestly, I think the ones who will benefit the most from these new M1 systems at this time are developers who are building universal or Apple SoC native apps who didn’t get the DTK. But the systems are great. If you need a new MB Air, it’s a great time to buy one. If you need a new 13” Pro, hmmm... maybe. It’s a much more powerful system than the Intel based one, but you’re also going to be restricted by software translation and some compatibility concerns until you can get running mostly native apps. I don’t have specific benchmark scores for my MBP 13. And if I did, I couldn’t share just yet. Apple doesn’t want us posting such things until the various tech bloggers and reviewers can do their thing in a few more days as systems arrive. But as we’re seeing with the MB Air benchmarks leaking out on GeekBench and some other such things, it’s no slouch of a system. I’m doing some testing on mine here, but I’m really using it 90% for Xcode and real dev work. The Pro is more powerful than the Air as it’s clocked faster and has a cooling system, the Air is passively cooled.

At this time, I can speak to how powerful it is and that it looks very, very promising. But I just can’t make any direct recommendation as to buying one. I know I wouldn’t feel comfortable taking it on location for any serious video/film/photography project. No doubt in my mind about the hardware being up to the task. This is a software concern at the moment. I’m sure I’ll have a better answer to that in the coming weeks. That said, I’m getting some native apps. Affinity Photo and Designer are now native. MS Office being native is helpful but in no way shows anything about performance. And once I have native versions of Resolve and other things, it will be interesting to see how they run. But running Resolve on a 13” notebook isn’t really how I want to run it. And the 16GB RAM is a non-starter for a lot of uses.

@Enrique - this is a tough one. I think you, and many here, would be best served to wait a bit longer for an updated 16” with Apple SoC and 32+ GB RAM. There will be a lot more native software available by then and a lot of the kinks worked out. I’m not sure how long it will take for those to arrive. I’m betting we’ll see the 16” and iMac offerings early next year.

Of course, if you need it now, you need it. The 16” is a great system. I bought a 16” when it came out. It’s great, I use it almost daily. And it should last me another year or two and I can replace it with a 2nd or maybe 3rd generation Apple SoC system.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.