Thread: Cuda not working in REDcine X 52 and previous

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Cuda not working in REDcine X 52 and previous 
    I have a mac pro (2012) with a gtx 980 Ti (flashed from macprovideocards). Everything used to work just fine, but the previous two versions of redcine have given me problems. On the previous update, I would get a glitched screen when trying to view or playback r3d's in redcine. I updated yesterday to Redcine x 52, and now zero clips will play/load. If I go to preferences and turn off Cuda, it works as should.

I have the latest driver and cuda firmware, all works as should in other programs (premiere), but I can't find a fix for this and I need to transcode about 20 hours of footage from a recent feature.

Any ideas or advice here?

Thanks, some computer specs below

Mac Pro
    High Sierra 10.13.6
    2 x 3.46 12 core
    64gb ram
    GTX 980 TI 6gb

Ryan,

What driver are you using for the GTX 980 TI for the Mac? I don't see it supported in the OS dropdown. Also what version of MAX OS are you using?

Rand to the rescue as always.

OSX is listed above in the computer specs, but it's High Sierra 10.13.6

Driver attached in photo.
    Attached Images

It's probably not in the dropdown because this is a graphics card for windows that was flashed to work with OSX. Here's the guy I bought from's website, he's supposedly the best with flashed cards:http://www.macvidcards.com/drivers.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Brown View Post
    Rand to the rescue as always.

OSX is listed above in the computer specs, but it's High Sierra 10.13.6

Driver attached in photo.
    HaHaHaHa,

Ryan I see you are using 387.10.10.10.40.105 version of the GTX980TI update version of his firmware. There are so many 10.13.6 updates, maybe try the last one he has listed version 387.10.10.10.40.138. The latest Cuda version for the GTX 980 TI is 457.09, the version you have seems to be 418.163. I don't know if it has to be used with Cuda driver 418.163 or if it can be used with Cuda Driver 457.09.

Last edited by rand thompson; 11-06-2020 at 05:14 PM.

Thanks Rand. I do believe I have tried that version and it did not work with my OSX for whatever reason. I'll give it a try again and report back. The strange thing to me is that everything worked fine two redcine builds ago, then had problems with build 51, and now it doesn't work at all with build 52, and I haven't changed anything on my end at all...

Ryan,

Do you have the last update of OSX High Sierra, it could correspond to the last firmware available in the list.I think the last few Redcine-X updates were centered around better real-time playback with Nvidia based graphic cards and Metal support. Maybe the flashed Nvidia card for this Mac has come to a point where it might not be able to pass certain certification parameters required with the newer Red SDKs.

Yes, i have 10.13.6 which is the latest high sierra. I checked the driver list, my build is 17G65, so i'm on the correct latest driver. This isn't a deal breaker, as I can render out of redcine just fine, it's just not near as fast as it was with CUDA enabled and was hoping to find a quick fix, which is seeming less likely.

No no no...
    Even though the card is flashed, all that means, that you only get a computer boot screen, that's all! You still need proper driver for it.
    You MUST use Web driver, that was informally released by nVidia to be used with nVidia cards up to OS High Sierra.
    Apple didn't allow nVidia to release any driver for Mojave and up.
    So, if you must use nVidia, do a search for your particular Web driver and CUDA and do the install both driver and CUDA. My recommendation is to replace your outdated and under powered card with an AMD 580 Pulse 8GB, no driver needed and it can be used on any modern OS including OS11. If you must have computer boot screen, then install Open Core. Don't pay MacVid Cards, Open Core works great and it is free.
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

I just reverted to REDcine build 50 and it works fine!

Thanks Jake. I have the proper drivers all installed and my card works great in all other programs. That said, I may look into a new card in the near future, appreciate the rec