Thread: Thread Davinci Resolve 17

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Thanks Jake, I didn't know any of the info you provided above!

Resolve 17 - New Fusion Features

By
    VFXstudy

Thanks Rand, that helps a bit (still grappling with what's non-DV-compliant HDR).

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    Also, a quick note, there is no such thing as "grading for 300 nits". SDR grading is always done to 100 nits regardless of what monitor is capable of displaying, period.
    That's what made me ask; SDR is always 100nits, but is there an equivalent value for HDR?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    That's what made me ask; SDR is always 100nits, but is there an equivalent value for HDR?
    Yes, 600, 1000, 2000, 4000 nits
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Mike,

You have HLG. HDR10 and HDR10+(Samsung)

Brief Explanation of these three

HLG

Backwards compatibility with older SDR TV's but not as good as DV.

HDR10

Most all HDR TV's support HDR10. Requires no License fees to use like you have with Dolby Vision, However, you can't really modify Metadata for individual clips to optimize each for the best results like over-exposed and under-exposed clips, it's one size fits all

HDR10+

Mainly by Samsung and not widely supported. No license fees to use. Unlike HDR10, HDR10+ allows for metadata modification per clip.

RESOLVE 17 - First Impressions & Cool New Features in DaVinci Resolve 17 Beta

By
    Casey Faris

Cool Spider Web...What Does It Do Again? DaVinci Resolve 17

By Learn Color Grading

Davinci Wide Gamut HDR workflow

I noticed when using both Red footage in the RWG/LOG3G10 format and ARRIRAW that the ARRIRAW footage looks correct Tone-Mapped to 100nits BT709.BT1886 Full and the Red footage doesn't

Red

ARRI

UPDATE

When I increased the ISO to 1600 and ran a Auto Analysis in Dolby Vision again it looked normal. The ARRIRAW footage has a 800 ISO in its METADATA so it wasn't high so why does the Red Footage which also had an ISO of 800 look so much darker.

Here is the ACESHDR tone-mapped Fullscreen Screengrab at 800ISO vs the Davinci Wide Gamut with a 1600ISO modification. I still prefer ACES.

ACES

Davinci Wide Gamut

Last edited by rand thompson; 11-11-2020 at 11:57 PM.

That's probably because those test shots were done with ISOCal1, which was almost exactly 1 stop darker than metered ISO800. It got fixed with DSMC2 Unified/ISOCal2, but was a little late given that users have complained about it since MX. Makes sense that DR17 would go with ISOCal2, as it's the new normal (and you can only have one "ISO800" setting), but if what your showing is accurate, footage shot before 2017~2018 or pre-DSMC2 (which never got the recalibration for some reason), will have to bump it to ISO1600 to get everything to fall in line accordingly.

Of course, there's no reason for someone in post to know about that, but better to figure it out in post than if cam-dept/dop didn't know about it on set/metered for "ISO800", as you'd end up hard clipping highlights a stop earlier than necessary (and HL Lattitude was already less than the competitions)... But I digress.
    Last edited by Mike P.; 11-12-2020 at 10:23 AM.

Mike,

I had the same thought about the recalibration as well. But since the image I used has gone through the latest iteration of IPP2 in Redcine-X, that should already be incorporated into the sample image. I just thought Blackmagic Design already would have taken that into account with all of their experience with Red's SDKs so I was thinking it had to be something else.
    Last edited by rand thompson; 11-12-2020 at 10:24 AM.