Thread: New Apple Laptops Air vs. Pro

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    Apple need Nvidia GPUs. Nvidias tech is light years ahead of others. The M1 is all good, but they should open up things towards Nvidia and let's see what the next iteration of this processor is capable of. I would never buy the first version of a new technology shift.

If the next 16 inch Macbook Pro has a next gen M2 processor and the latest laptop version of the 3090 cards, that would be a monster I could put money into.
    I don't think Apple will ever have a laptop with nvidia cards in now.

I also think that there has to be a shift away from thinking of GPU as being an extra. It appears that the M1 collectively has everything in it, including (from what i've read so far) the 16GB of RAM. So not only does it have CPU cores but also GPU cores, ML cores and memory. From an interface perspective this must make a huge difference to how it all works together.

Lets face it the only reason we have GPU cards is that Intel just didn't bother or foresaw what would happen. If they'd started integrating onboard from the get go i don't think nvidia would exist. Using CUDA cores for compute is throttled because of PCI bandwidth, so the use cases are quite specific to what you can keep on the card. Having everything on the same silicon would change that approach.

The MBP has a fan and can sustain the M1 at higher rates for longer, also i believe that the active GPU cores are slightly higher in the MBP.

It is the overall memory that i would be concerned about - i wonder if they are using the SSD to augment swapping and so on. It is a UMA system and so full 8K frames have to share that space. This would be my overall concern about it more than clocks or GPUs.

I guess with Resolve 17.1 we will soon be able to see how it runs against Intel like for like. I shall be standing on the sidelines watching with interest but for me, like others here, i suspect the next generation might be the one i look at...

cheers
    Paul
    -------------------
    insta: @paul.inventome

Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post
    The MBP has a fan and can sustain the M1 at higher rates for longer, also i believe that the active GPU cores are slightly higher in the MBP.
    Indeed, the MBP has a fan and will probably sustain the high speeds a lot longer. The Macbook Air can be ordered in a lower end configuration with a 7-core GPU (probably the ones that didn't make QC tests) but also in an 8-core GPU, the same as the MBP. The difference in a configuration with the same specs between the 7-core and the 8-core is about 50 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Dishler View Post
    I have one on order, MacBook Pro "maximum" spec preparing to ship. I will compare it in DaVinci and FCP with some 8k Red footage to my 2016 MacBook Pro and 2013 trashcan - both of which do fairly well with Metal support. I suspect the new computer will blow them away, and if it can run 8k lightly compressed footage well then what more do you need (obviously complexity and length of project will have an impact)? I think that Red will have to update their workflow installer for best performance.
    Hi John. I'm looking into buying a new Macbook Pro 13" with Apple silicon and would be keen to hear your experience running Helium footage through Red Cine once you have your new laptop
    Roger Munns
    Underwater Cinematographer
    BLUE PLANET 2 | APPLE UNDERWATER SCREENSAVERS | HOSTILE PLANET
    DSMC2 Helium
    Gates Deep Weapon Underwater Housing
    IMDB
    www.roger-munns.com

Hi Roger -- will do, it is supposed to arrive on Monday, I hope to have something shortly after that. Jon
    DSMC2 Helium 1402
    DSMC2 Helium 6423

Is it worth it to get the bigger hard drive 500 vs 250 for an extra $200?

I ordered the 2 TB drive, want enough internal to do a project or a good piece of one. Also getting 16 GB memory instead of 8. This makes it take longer to ship than minimum systems which are currently being reviewed.
    DSMC2 Helium 1402
    DSMC2 Helium 6423

I'm looking forward to your tests Jon! (Do you have a comparable x86 Mac to test against?)

Also really excited to see some maxed out Air vs. 13" Pro tests (see if thermal throttle cripples it or not)

Looks like these things shred : https://youtu.be/DJGEDUHHdZ8

That's very promising. Still doesn't get to the meat of the it though -- 8k Canon Lite and/or 8k r3d 5:1 full debayer playback performance...

...Actually that's only half true; the last few things I've worked on were 4k 422 h265, so that's actually quite awesome. LOL. If that performance holds, you're better off buying a ~$1000 laptop every year, than buying a $3k laptop expecting it to be performance relevant for 3 years. And the Air has one less GPU core... Interested to see how much of a difference (if any) the active vs passive cooling will account for.

The MBP is obviously a better choice.