Thread: New Apple Laptops Air vs. Pro

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    How is everyone jumping to the conclusion that these are beasts already? That is to say, aren't the numbers so far Apple marketing fluff and nothing real-world?

I think the balance will be *when* to buy. For example, if it takes another year for RCXp, Resolve, et al, to run natively on AS (and see those performance benefits), then you're better off saving your pennies and buying at that time (when there'll presumably be even better AS processors available).

Conversely, I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason all three of theses models are using, essentially, the same set-up (M1, 16gb), is solely because Apple doesn't have any other silicon available for prime time. The minute the M1x and M2 come out of the oven, it's safe to presume they'll only be available in the MBPro (at which point they'll probably discontinue the M1 as an option in that form factor, because it's probably not much different than getting an Air for $900 cheaper.)

So, yeah, the Air is looking great for the short-term, the problem is traditionally x86 3rd party software probably won't be up to par in the short-term.

That's fast:
    Resolve already pushed out a Native 17.1 update, with support for Apple Silicon:
    https://ymcinema.com/2020/11/13/davi...s-for-m1-macs/

They are claiming x5 performance improvements with current generation (!!!)

I don't really get the skepticism, although I respect it. There is a reason Apple did this huge transition. We have seen their track record with building chips on the iPhone and the iPad.
    Now one after the other external developer has said that they are seeing truly HUGE performance improvements, from 3x to 11x literally, in comparison with previous generation systems. (Affinity, Pixelmator, and now even Black Magic). We already have benchmarks leaked, that put these systems above a 16" MBP. FCPX is already Native, Now Da Vinci already has a beta. If you are on some specific software, I agree it makes sense, but this is very very promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere View Post
    That's fast:
    Resolve already pushed out a Native 17.1 update, with support for Apple Silicon:
    https://ymcinema.com/2020/11/13/davi...s-for-m1-macs/

They are claiming x5 performance improvements with current generation (!!!)

I don't really get the skepticism, although I respect it. There is a reason Apple did this huge transition. We have seen their track record with building chips on the iPhone and the iPad.
    Now one after the other external developer has said that they are seeing truly HUGE performance improvements, from 3x to 11x literally, in comparison with previous generation systems. (Affinity, Pixelmator, and now even Black Magic). We already have benchmarks leaked, that put these systems above a 16" MBP. FCPX is already Native, Now Da Vinci already has a beta. If you are on some specific software, I agree it makes sense, but this is very very promising.
    Lol, I saw that DaVinci announcement about an hour after I posted in this thread. It's still unclear whether its 3x~5x over last release of the MBP13" (quad-core 2.0Ghz i5) or, for example, the last release of Mini/Air (which I think were 6core 1.4GHz i5s)... In which case, an Octocore 3.2GHz like the M1, should get 3x~5x performance if it's comparable to x86/Intel/AMD (as it's quite literally 2x more cores, and all 8 are running ~2GHz faster).

I wouldn't say I'm skeptic (I'd argue I'm optimistic!); just like keeping expectations in check...

...Ideally, in the near future, I'd like to be able to connect iPad(s) and iPhone(s) to the laptop and make a mini AS-based render-farm with all the various devices/processors running on the same architecture. (e.g. Connect an iPad Pro with A12Z and iPhone 12 Pro with A14 to your M1 laptop, and it'd give you *another* 8-cores + 6cores to help render faster.)
    Last edited by Mike P.; 11-14-2020 at 11:20 AM.

Resolve has not been clear with what they are comparing to, indeed. I don't understand how they could release such a complex program so fast for Apple Silicon, but I don't know a lot about software development. The people behind Affinity saw better benchmarks in comparison with a 3.7ghz 6-core iMac with one of the AMD discrete Graphic cards, I forgot which one. Apple on their website compared the new MBP with the previous 1.4 i7 if I'm not mistaken for their baseline. It's somewhere in the small notes.

If I'm not mistaken, the previous Air and low-end 13" MBP were already pretty close in performance. Air had a bit better graphics, but the MBP had better CPU performance under workloads because it didn't throttle. Probably with the M1 it will be similar.

To be clear, I never meant to imply that everybody's favorite software will be humming along on ASi overnight. What I am saying is that Apple's SOC solution, as mapped out by sites like Anandtech, can process data faster than most of Intel's current desktop chips. Apple has been preparing for this transition for a decent amount of time and, if for no other reason than marketing, will likely have chosen a few well known apps/vendors to do intensive Betas with so they can cite performance metrics vs Win-tel builds.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere View Post
    Resolve has not been clear with what they are comparing to, indeed. I don't understand how they could release such a complex program so fast for Apple Silicon, but I don't know a lot about software development. The people behind Affinity saw better benchmarks in comparison with a 3.7ghz 6-core iMac with one of the AMD discrete Graphic cards, I forgot which one. Apple on their website compared the new MBP with the previous 1.4 i7 if I'm not mistaken for their baseline. It's somewhere in the small notes.

If I'm not mistaken, the previous Air and low-end 13" MBP were already pretty close in performance. Air had a bit better graphics, but the MBP had better CPU performance under workloads because it didn't throttle. Probably with the M1 it will be similar.
    Where was this article? Would love to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Note Suwanchote View Post
    Where was this article? Would love to read it.
    I don't know if twitter links are allowed, but it's from the developers themselves.

APPLE: https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-13/
    You see numbers like 2.8x Transcodes in FCP, 5.9x faster 3D title render speeds in FCP, etc. Apple adds the text below: "Testing conducted by Apple in October 2020 using preproduction 13-inch MacBook Pro systems with Apple M1 chip, as well as production 1.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i7-based 13-inch MacBook Pro systems, all configured with 16GB RAM and 2TB SSD."

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/med...se/20201113-01
    "Significantly, the combination of M1, Metal processing, and DaVinci Resolve 17.1 offers up to 5 times better performance when compared to previous generation computers."

https://twitter.com/andysomerfield/s...635143169?s=20
    The developers of Affinity Photo posted the benchmarks of the M1 against the 6-core 3.7ghz 2019 iMac with AMD 580X. I quote: "if I hadn't measured the CPU number myself I wouldn't believe it"

https://www.pixelmator.com/blog/
    About their 2.0 update, released next week with optimisations for the M1 chip: "The Pixelmator Pro editing engine is powered by high-performance Metal code, so we can take advantage of the unified memory architecture of the M1 chip to bring you much speedier and much more responsive image editing. Machine learning tasks like ML Super Resolution are now up to a staggering 15 times faster on the new Macs."

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Apple need Nvidia GPUs. Nvidias tech is light years ahead of others. The M1 is all good, but they should open up things towards Nvidia and let's see what the next iteration of this processor is capable of. I would never buy the first version of a new technology shift.

If the next 16 inch Macbook Pro has a next gen M2 processor and the latest laptop version of the 3090 cards, that would be a monster I could put money into.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

I have one on order, MacBook Pro "maximum" spec preparing to ship. I will compare it in DaVinci and FCP with some 8k Red footage to my 2016 MacBook Pro and 2013 trashcan - both of which do fairly well with Metal support. I suspect the new computer will blow them away, and if it can run 8k lightly compressed footage well then what more do you need (obviously complexity and length of project will have an impact)? I think that Red will have to update their workflow installer for best performance.
    DSMC2 Helium 1402
    DSMC2 Helium 6423