Thread: Color shifts with ND

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1 Color shifts with ND 
    Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    4,583
    Been testing my firecrest NDs and I've noticed some color shift.

    No ND


    ND 0.6


    How is the Komodo generally behaving compared to older sensors like the Dragon 6K (which I used these for with less shifts)? Is it the NDs that doesn't work with Komodo or what is going on?

    I've also noticed that Komodo tends to shift towards green tint a lot, especially when underexposing.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Hollywood, CA / Houston, TX
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post

    I've also noticed that Komodo tends to shift towards green tint a lot, especially when underexposing.
    Strange. There's a post on the Komodo Users Facebook group saying the opposite, that Komodo is very magenta compared to other RED cameras.
    www.kfwright.com
    Komodo
    Teradek Bolt 600 HDMI/SDI (1 TX 2 RX)
    Sony CineAlta PL lens set: 20/25/35/50/85/135
    Hedge data management
    Foolcat and Foolcontrol user
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    4,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gilpin View Post
    I got mine this week and today I have been doing some more controlled testing and noticing the same thing. The more it is underexposed the more it shifts green. And it seems to do it whether I'm underexposed with ND or with aperture.
    Not sure why this is happening. Maybe there should be some tweaks to the firmware or something, a tint adjustment might neutralize it, but hard to know if Red won't chime in on it all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Wright View Post
    Strange. There's a post on the Komodo Users Facebook group saying the opposite, that Komodo is very magenta compared to other RED cameras.
    Most won't white balance two cameras before comparing. Too many do the "straight out of the camera" kind of comparisons with no proper preparation that you would normally do when trying to match two cameras. It's a bit frustrating that so many do "tests" but so many don't even seem to know the basic technical knowledge of cinematography. So much bad info out there.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member Adrian Jebef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    681
    EVERY PIECE OF GLASS YA STICK IN FRONT OF A CAMERA IS GONNA SHIFT COLOR.

    Lens, filter, diffusion, pola. All of it. Filters suck. ND filters suck sooooooo baaaaaad. They blow. Polas are the woooooorst! I know you don't want my advice but here it is: Polas are for losers. Don't ever use them again. Want to shoot at a 1.3 outside in the blazing desert sun? Of course ya don't. Cause that's lame! Ya want yer spot to look like every other lame commercial on the tube? Of course ya don't. That's why ya shoot 50D outside.

    But seriously ND filters suck. Even the good ones (and Firecrest are better than most) will shift color. And not plus or minus green kinda color shift. No. That's not how filters work. Filters work by filtering out wavelengths of light. Filters aren't a computer. They don't subtract in a binary manner. They literally SUCK the LIFE out of your image. There is no LINEAR response therefore you CANNOT put back in what you SUCKED out.

    If yer ever curious as to HOW FING BAD filters are for color fidelity in your images make sure you shoot a color chart without the filter and then with the filter. Also make sure you jack up that saturation in Post.
    Adrian Jebef
    DIT
    www.jebefcorp.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Simple test is to do the same exposure with shutter, Nd and iris and then see what sticks out.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    4,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Jebef View Post
    EVERY PIECE OF GLASS YA STICK IN FRONT OF A CAMERA IS GONNA SHIFT COLOR.

    Lens, filter, diffusion, pola. All of it. Filters suck. ND filters suck sooooooo baaaaaad. They blow. Polas are the woooooorst! I know you don't want my advice but here it is: Polas are for losers. Don't ever use them again. Want to shoot at a 1.3 outside in the blazing desert sun? Of course ya don't. Cause that's lame! Ya want yer spot to look like every other lame commercial on the tube? Of course ya don't. That's why ya shoot 50D outside.

    But seriously ND filters suck. Even the good ones (and Firecrest are better than most) will shift color. And not plus or minus green kinda color shift. No. That's not how filters work. Filters work by filtering out wavelengths of light. Filters aren't a computer. They don't subtract in a binary manner. They literally SUCK the LIFE out of your image. There is no LINEAR response therefore you CANNOT put back in what you SUCKED out.

    If yer ever curious as to HOW FING BAD filters are for color fidelity in your images make sure you shoot a color chart without the filter and then with the filter. Also make sure you jack up that saturation in Post.


    For sure, it's just that the difference is much more notable on Komodo than my 6K Dragon.

    Personally, I usually just shoot with a faster shutter (as long as it's not super bright outside) then add post motion blur. Movements are rarely so extreme that it "artefacts" the post motion blur and you don't filter out anything. On top of that you get a perfect image for post stabilization and other things.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    California
    Posts
    28
    Then what is your suggestion for shooting f2 midday if you don't use ND's
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member Adrian Jebef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    681
    Quote Originally Posted by michael fetner View Post
    Then what is your suggestion for shooting f2 midday if you don't use ND's

    Do what you want. Just be aware that most ND and Pola filters will drain the color response out of your image. Doing some simple tests before you shoot can be very helpful.
    Adrian Jebef
    DIT
    www.jebefcorp.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    4,583
    Quote Originally Posted by michael fetner View Post
    Then what is your suggestion for shooting f2 midday if you don't use ND's
    If you have normal motion you could just put the camera at ISO400 and the shutter until you have good exposure, then just apply RSMB motion blur in post.
    This is often a solution for VFX shots, so why not non-VFX shots when you don't have NDs? I think that much of the extreme idea of always keeping the shutter at 180 comes from the days of 35mm film. I'd say that the only rule is to never go higher than a 225 shutter. 225 is good for slow-moving or almost static shots, more than that you will get that awful video feel that everyone hates. As long as you go up to 180 or 225, you will always have the option to add motion blur as long as the motion isn't so high that it creates artifacts.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member Adrian Jebef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    681
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    :For sure, it's just that the difference is much more notable on Komodo than my 6K Dragon.


    Interesting. Next time shoot both side-by-side. I normally notice color/tint shifts in off-whites and skintones. It would be intriguing to see both cams black balanced and then white balanced in a mixed lighting scenario to see where their RGB levels line up. (note to self for my next red prep lol)
    Adrian Jebef
    DIT
    www.jebefcorp.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts