Thread: Color shifts with ND

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Adrian, I use Firecrest and Rhodium NDs, on Dragon there is basically no shift at all in most densities (barely noticeable).

I never experienced such a distinct color cast like Christoffer posted so I think he may be onto something, and apparently he's not alone having this issue with Komodo...
    TOMMASO ALVISI | tommasoalvisi.com
    Weapon 6K Carbon Fiber #1605 aka qp
    instagram | twitter

I'm on location filming, but I'll double check to see if there's any shift on the Firecrests on Komodo. I didn't have any issues on the filters I tested a while back.

Based on your images with that backlight and iris change this isn't a controlled test, but I'll dive in a couple weeks.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Based on your images with that backlight and iris change this isn't a controlled test, but I'll dive in a couple weeks.
    Nope, it's a shift I noticed while testing out stuff. Same as I've noticed that Komodo tends to go into super green tint when underexposing, while many others say it's leaning towards magenta, which I haven't noticed, so odd.
    I will do more proper testings soon as well.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    I'm on location filming, but I'll double check to see if there's any shift on the Firecrests on Komodo. I didn't have any issues on the filters I tested a while back.

I haven't had any color shift issues using FIrecrests on my Epic-W (Helium) camera.

Firecrests aren't cheap, but it's worth spending the bux for quality glass!
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik

Quote Originally Posted by Rakesh Malik View Post
    I haven't had any color shift issues using FIrecrests on my Epic-W (Helium) camera.

Firecrests aren't cheap, but it's worth spending the bux for quality glass!
    Exactly, but Christoffer and other users had some shifts on Komodo using Firecrest and other usually quite neutral filters...
    instagram | twitter

Just a side note. For anybody interested. If you can go to near by rental and check different cameras with the same set of filters and the SAME camera with different set of filters of same brand and series you can find some times irregular color shifts. Its not a given, but once a while even a stick can shoot. Anyway once I've seen 2,1 IrND without any Ir in it (strong magenta cast on blacks in the sun) but with strong green tint as all Ir's have. It was very well known brand.
    It's not always a camera.

Thanks Alex for chining in but we're not talking about IRNDs, we are talking about Firecrest
    which (if checked at delivery for consistency) can be very neutral along the whole visible spectrum + IR
    (of course without filters it's always better but these and Rhodium filters and many recent full spectrum NDs are good).

Also agree that many cameras are not consistent from one camera to another of the same model/brand (including Alexas)
    but Christoffer and other users are talking about the not consistent results they experienced with Komodo using a filter which is consistent and neutral when used on other cameras.
    instagram | twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Tommaso Alvisi View Post
    Thanks Alex for chining in but we're not talking about IRNDs, we are talking about Firecrest
    which (if checked at delivery for consistency) can be very neutral along the whole visible spectrum + IR
    (of course without filters it's always better but these and Rhodium filters and many recent full spectrum NDs are good).

Also agree that many cameras are not consistent from one camera to another of the same model/brand (including Alexas)
    but Christoffer and other users are talking about the not consistent results they experienced with Komodo using a filter which is consistent and neutral when used on other cameras.
    Its a bit of contradiction here. That is one.
    And second checking supposed to be done with several cameras and several filters. Not with the only set you have at home with the only camera you have available.
    Noobody talking about a brand of filters. Sometimes you can find bad filters in a good brand in real life. It can can be different reasons for that, from buying online used and a lot of "contrafacture" to mistakes in manufacturing.

Alex, re-read his posts...the same filters which are consistent and neutral in his DSMC2 cameras are not behaving as expected on Komodo so it’s either an issue on the OLPF or hopefully something fixable with a firmware update by refining the color science tied to the Komodo sensor.
    instagram | twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Tommaso Alvisi View Post
    Alex, re-read his posts...the same filters which are consistent and neutral in his DSMC2 cameras are not behaving as expected on Komodo so it’s either an issue on the OLPF or hopefully something fixable with a firmware update by refining the color science tied to the Komodo sensor.
    Did he checked two or MORE Komodo's?
    Did he checked SIDE by side with his other cameras in the same CONDITIONS?
    Did he checked with different filters of the SAME brand?
    Did he checked with different filters of the DIFFERENT brand?
    Only after you can speak about olpf's or firmware.
    PS. I know, I am a bit difficult. But I am used to check "mechanical" part before digging inside of the camera.