Thread: Sony Announces the FX6: A Hybridization Between VENICE and Alpha

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Some videos look oversharpened or is it post-sharpened. I wounder why they didn't use the 6k sensor of the A7s3?
    The image stabilisation of the A7s3 is also great. They probably bet on the Gyro post stabilisation instead of sensor.
    They nearly got it right (for us).

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    Some videos look oversharpened or is it post-sharpened. I wounder why they didn't use the 6k sensor of the A7s3?
    The image stabilisation of the A7s3 is also great. They probably bet on the Gyro post stabilisation instead of sensor.
    They nearly got it right (for us).

Pat
    The A7s3 sensor is 4k not 6k. The FX6 is actually using the exact same sensor that the A7s3 uses. I'm going to assume that part of the reason they went with a 4k sensor was not to step all over the FX9 as there are some things that the FX6 does better than the FX9. One main thing is that the FX6 does not require the bulky and expensive XDCA extension to access RAW, just SDI out to a Atomos Shogun 7 for the FX6, and another is having 120fps in 4k.

As for image stabilization (IBIS), Sony are saying that with current technology it is impossible to have the internal variable ND and also IBIS. Personally, I'll take the internal variable ND over having IBIS as Sony's implementation of IBIS is nowhere near what you get with the Panasonic mirrorless cameras.
    Last edited by Chuks Ude; 11-19-2020 at 05:24 AM. Reason: added 120 fps in 4k

if Sony makes a version FX6R internal Raw camera like C200 they would sale them as hot cakes. With Komodo, Ursa, FX6 we are getting this 6000$ class of camera that are punching way above there weight. Its not a soprize that this part of the market is becoming a battleground where camera manufacturers will have to show there girth. Personally i dont find this camera interesting because of the "sony TV Look" that it has, lack of RAW and foremost lack of resolution on S35. I assume that this is a game changer for wedding vieographers with tons of EF and Sony photo lenses but for us that shoot a lot of anmaorphic and people with lot of 35mm cinema glass this is not such revelation.
    Epic-W Helium 8k #6819

Quote Originally Posted by Luka Sanader View Post
    if Sony makes a version FX6R internal Raw camera like C200 they would sale them as hot cakes. With Komodo, Ursa, FX6 we are getting this 6000$ class of camera that are punching way above there weight. Its not a soprize that this part of the market is becoming a battleground where camera manufacturers will have to show there girth. Personally i dont find this camera interesting because of the "sony TV Look" that it has, lack of RAW and foremost lack of resolution on S35. I assume that this is a game changer for wedding vieographers with tons of EF and Sony photo lenses but for us that shoot a lot of anmaorphic and people with lot of 35mm cinema glass this is not such revelation.
    As for internal RAW, for sure I would prefer a version like that as I really like Sony's X-OCN RAW codec. However even Sony's top of the line camera, the Venice requires an expensive add on (the AXS-R7), with expensive media for the X-OCN codec, so it seems doubtful for now. The way that the AXS-R7 attaches to the Venice is perfect and it just becomes one with the camera, so to speak, as opposed to feeling like a dangling attachment. As the FX9 and FX6 are now part of Sony's new "Cinema Line" maybe they will consider bringing X-OCN to those cameras with well thought out attachments at not too expensive prices as opposed to requiring the Atomos Shogun 7 for ProRes RAW.

Does anyone know if the post gyro-stabilization of these cameras (FX6, C300mk3, C70, etc) is in the SDK/possible on 3rd party software (FCP, Premiere, Resolve, etc)?

Obviously dislike having to transcode, so would love to be able to do it in the NLE with original media.

i had have shot with R5 on F55 a lot and i hate it with passion so i would not shed a tear id they went for "non Professional" or consumer grade of RAW like ProResRAW or similar. Mostprobably this will never happen but now with all the smaller cameras (Canon, BM, Panasonic and Komodo ) are shooting internal RAW Sony will have to face a music sooner or later. holding to X-OCN and R7 is like holding to 3CCD prisms and betacam style castes on HD format. if it was up to Sony we would still shoot 4Kn on TV 2/3" style cameras
    Last edited by Luka Sanader; 11-19-2020 at 08:53 PM.
    Epic-W Helium 8k #6819

Sony FX6 | First Look & Explained

By CVP

00:00 - Intro
    00:26 - Context
    01:29 - Tech Specs / Sensor
    02:31 - ND Filter
    03:29 - Autofocus
    04:21 - Codecs & Formats
    05:13 - Slow Motion
    05:53 - Media
    06:52 - Stabilsation
    07:08 - Gamma / Gamuts
    07:38 - 12G SDI
    08:18 - Audio
    08:46 - Difference to FX9
    10:00 - Physical / Front
    10:43 - Top
    12:12 - Left
    13:07 - Right
    13:32 - Back
    13:49 - Outro

SONY FX6 V0.11 Menu Walkthrough

By Alvaro Ortiz

Last edited by rand thompson; 11-20-2020 at 12:34 PM.

FDTIMES-Sony FX6 Full Frame 4K Cine Camera

Article
    https://www.fdtimes.com/2020/11/17/s...k-cine-camera/

PDF DECEMBER 2020 Issue
    http://www.fdtimes.com/pdfs/articles...yFX6-v1.17.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Luka Sanader View Post
    i had have shot with R5 on F55 a lot and i hate it with passion so i would not shed a tear id they went for "non Professional" or consumer grade of RAW like ProResRAW or similar. Mostprobably this will never happen but now with all the smaller cameras (Canon, BM, Panasonic and Komodo ) are shooting internal RAW Sony will have to face a music sooner or later. holding to X-OCN and R7 is like holding to 3CCD prisms and betacam style castes on HD format. if it was up to Sony we would still shoot 4Kn on TV 2/3" style cameras
    This is what I am hoping for. Like you said the number of smaller and in some cases less expensive cameras that are shooting internal RAW will put pressure on Sony.