Thread: Kimodo on-board monitoring - flat image

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Kimodo on-board monitoring - flat image 
    (Posting for a friend who has just bought a Komodo and has been trying to post through her reduser account for several days. Note: I don't own one myself and haven't had a chance to play with one yet.)

When looking at the preview image on my on-board monitor (Atomos Shinobi), I only get a flat image. Is there a way to get the RAW image to have something like a rec709 or similar viewable image, or do I need to import some special LUT to view in a more "normal" mode?
    Last edited by Jim McKinney; 11-23-2020 at 02:27 PM. Reason: make title more relevant
    Jim McKinney

There are several LUTs in camera already, and you just have to choose one, and then apply it to the SDI out. I'd give you the blow by blow of how to do it... but FedEx just picked my Komodo up to take it back to RED for repairs.
    C.S.C. Associate Member
    If I don't own it I rent it...

Thanks.
    Jim McKinney

Does the Komodo have IPP2 like DSMC2 does?

If so, enable IPP2 and set the output profile to Rec709. Use medium contrast and soft highlight rolloff, and then adjust from there to what you prefer.

I can't give you anything more precise yet since I'm still awaiting my Komodo. That's based on how I configured my Epic-W.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik

Menu/Monitoring/SDI/Look, select "image/LUT." (If you're seeing a log image, it's on the default setting of "RWG/Log3G10.")

And yes, Komodo has IPP2 built in.

If you want to change LUTs, look at Menu/Image/LUT. You can choose your output color space (prob wanna keep it at Rec. 709 if not sure). If you want to use a specific LUT, you can go down to "3D LUT" and enable it. This will let you choose among some that are built into the camera (e.g. "Red_Achromic" for B&W), or you can use this menu to import your own (that you have copied onto the cfast card).

The alternative is to use a look/LUT that is loaded on the monitor itself, if the monitor offers that feature. You're gonna want to do it this way if your monitor is also a recorder, for example. (Assuming you want log footage without a "burned-in" LUT.)
    Last edited by M Harvey; 11-25-2020 at 03:40 PM. Reason: clarified menu option