Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Return of Purple Fringing.

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #31  
    Partly it's what lens to avoid for sure - some are better and worse than others. However, you can mitigate it in a couple of ways. First is to stop down. The other is to avoid really bright contrast where there's a lot of light coming through the lens. The CA is mostly visible on high contrast. I'm not enough of a lens geek to tell you which lenses are best, so I'm sure others will chime in there.

Graeme
    www.red.com - 8k Digital Cinema Camera
    Science enables stories. Stories drive science
    IPP2, Image Processing, Colour Science and Demosaic Algorithms

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Vrzal View Post
    I would like to know what lenses to use to avoid this issue. I saw many shots suffering this fringing on YouTube. Any recommodation for good and not expensive lenses for Komodo? I like Komodo' s footage but I don't like this purple and green fringing. And I wanna avoid this issue in my footage.
    SLR Magic APO primes, the DZO Vespids appear to also be apochromatic designs. Full disclosure, I haven't used either, but the stuff I'm seeing from these two look promising for the CA haters.

Is anyone finding CA exaggerated by particular compression ratios or debayer settings?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark K. View Post
    Is anyone finding CA exaggerated by particular compression ratios or debayer settings?
    I found it to be worse on Prores then R3D and also noticed it’s reduced at R3D HQ over LQ. That said, when I shot HQ and exported as Prores it was also popping more, so it’s just much less noticeable when looking at a 6K R3D in full resolution.

For what it’s worth to everyone, the shot I posted was 100% unscientific and intentionally searching out this effect that I had experienced while shooting to share with you. It’s not in 90% of the clips but any area where bare sticks were against a grey sky this occurred. I used no ND intentionally to rule out any color cast from that.

I don’t understand the negativity towards posting about this. I received my Komodo and am testing different scenarios and settings and came across this. It hasn’t occurred with my particular lens sets on other cameras, so thanks to the people here I worked through finding a cause and I am now figure out a best practice for avoiding this and as I am often not involved in post I am preventing it from being sent down the line.

Thank you so much to everyone that’s helped look into this and objectively looked at the R3D and reached out with solutions and knowledge.
    rcbandit.com

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan Vrzal View Post
    I would like to know what lenses to use to avoid this issue. I saw many shots suffering this fringing on YouTube. Any recommodation for good and not expensive lenses for Komodo? I like Komodo' s footage but I don't like this purple and green fringing. And I wanna avoid this issue in my footage.
    If using mid-tier lenses like the CP.2s CN-Es, Sigmas etc. you will always need to stop down the aperture to get rid of CA. One of the biggest reasons top-tier lenses like Master Primes, Summiluxes, Signature Primes etc. cost as much as they do is that you can shoot with them wide open and not get any CA. So if you can't afford the top-tier lenses on the market, or if you use still lenses, you will always have to stop them down whenever you shoot high contrast scenes like the example in here. It will always happen on low-cost lenses, always and you have to test for yourself with your set of lenses where the sweet spot is. For me, stopping down the 35mm CN-Es from T1.4 to T2.0 almost completely erase the CA problems. But I don't have to do it every time in every situation. But if I'm shooting something like the clip in here, I will always do it to prevent CA.

So, you can't choose any lens outside the top-tier and expect wide-open performance to not have CA. My recommendation is to buy a set of lenses that have a very fast T-stop range, in order to be able to stop them down and get rid of CA without losing too much low light capabilities. This is the reason I chose CN-Es over the CP.2s, because you have to stop those lenses down too much before they perform. The Zeiss CP.2s have never been good in my opinion, due to the CA alone.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cook View Post
    I don’t understand the negativity towards posting about this. I received my Komodo and am testing different scenarios and settings and came across this. It hasn’t occurred with my particular lens sets on other cameras, so thanks to the people here I worked through finding a cause and I am now figure out a best practice for avoiding this and as I am often not involved in post I am preventing it from being sent down the line.
    Because a lot of people tie these cameras to their perception of their personal self-worth and self-esteem and take any perceived slight or criticism against the cameras as a personal slight against themselves.

I mean, c’mon. They’re cameras. And there hasn’t been a “perfect” one built, yet. If you don’t talk about them(good, bad, oversights, etc.), how do problems get fixed and following generations get better?

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Nattress View Post
    Partly it's what lens to avoid for sure - some are better and worse than others. However, you can mitigate it in a couple of ways. First is to stop down. The other is to avoid really bright contrast where there's a lot of light coming through the lens. The CA is mostly visible on high contrast. I'm not enough of a lens geek to tell you which lenses are best, so I'm sure others will chime in there.
    I noticed some hard CA on one of my still lenses in a high contrast situation. I don't see how the camera would be to blame for that since it's an inferior lens I used but is the consensus that the color science intensifies the spectrums in which CA can be seen, and therefor it looks like it's worse than on other cameras? Maybe just a tweak to a future firmware could take care of it or reduce it?

I've noticed that when underexposed, the image tends to go towards green, a lot. Maybe there's just some tweaks and balances needed on how Komodo and IPP2 works together?

Even if I know how to get rid of CA through grading, I love how photoshop RAW import use its CA reduction. Maybe we could see the addition of a CA reduction tool in the RAW settings (so we can use it in other software as well, outside of RCX). I much rather just have it in the RAW settings instead of having to make a node structure because of it.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cook View Post

Its not a negativity, its a simple lack of objectivity from your side. You compare cameras without shooting them side by side. Its the same to say that you know the best
    runner, but don't know how long or fast he runs.

Just a quick note about comparing CA. More just information here.

When comparing results between cameras, keep in mind the format size as smaller formats will magnify the visual artifacts. i.e. using FF35 glass on S35 or S16 will yield different results.

Also big players are the optical pathway, color science, dynamic range, and even back focus.

In this case, this lens is a well known CA giver as it's a vintage lens. Stop it down 3 stops or expose aim for lower contrast conditions if going wide open.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Don't post much on here anymore since I no longer have a Red camera, but this discussion piqued my interest.

I used to have a Red Epic-W, and I had similar purple fringing issues as you with my Leica R lenses. I still get some fringing with them on my Arri Amira, BUT the purple fringe was always exaggerated on the Red beyond anything I've experienced with other cameras. I suspect Red's color science doesn't know what to do with it; so it ends up making it worse. That's my non-technical, anecdotal diagnosis based on experience with these lenses on many different cameras (mostly Super 35), and finding that my Red had the worst purple fringe of the bunch.

Like everyone is saying, stopping down and minding high-contrast edges does help, but it does limit what you can do with your lenses. I found one very simple solution working on a fashion video once, where I had shot my Leica's wide open, and the talent was against a very bright background. The fringe was very distracting; so I simply used the color dropper in DaVinci to isolate that particular shade of purple, and I dropped the saturation to near-zero. There was still a fringe, but it was grey and hardly noticeable unless you knew what to look for. That's my quick and dirty fix.

Anyway, good luck with the Komodo! It looks like a pretty awesome for the price/weight. That said, it was always these weird little issues that I got with Red more than any other camera I've owned that caused me to move away from the brand.