Thread: Variable Frame Rates?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Variable Frame Rates? 
    Has there been any word yet on whether or not Komodo will eventually be capable of recording variable frame rates?

1fps, 2fps, 4fps, 6fps, 8fps, 12fps, 18fps, 22fps, 32fps, 36fps

These are all the significant ones (that I use regularly at least - and particularly for action-cam/unique shots). Would be good to know whether or not they're on the cards.

Have no idea as to the answer, however I'd definitely like 1, 2 and 22 to be added as a first stop.

What it have now?

... nothing below 23.98

Sure it will be fixed soon on a future upgrade.
    Cinematographer

Yeah this will be great if added in a firmware

How/when do you prefer using framerates below 24 when filming? In what scenarios do you find yourself using them? Any visible examples?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan K. Maras View Post
    How/when do you prefer using framerates below 24 when filming? In what scenarios do you find yourself using them? Any visible examples?
    Ohhh-kay, how about speeding up car chases - some are shot using 20-22 fps timebase. Or stop-motion effect, usually shot at 3-5 fps. Or falling in a dream/coma shot at 15-18fps with wide-open shutter. I’m not even starting on time lapse, which always were a shiny side of any Red Camera.

Any proper cinema camera should go under 24fps up to 1fps, you might never use it, but sometimes it’s such a thing to have. Most of film cameras can go up to 1fps for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan K. Maras View Post
    I don't know if I've got many examples to hand. They're generally for pretty functional shots:

- speeding up action/impacts
    - speeding up detailed tabletop type shots that need normal playback speeds, but require really precise (i.e. slower) operation to finesse
    - getting your smeary, stuttery, Wong Kar Wai-esque, 4-6fps groove on for dreamy looking shots
    - any kind of timelapse (I don't do classic timelapses, but I use mini ones all the time to add some drama to cloud movements for cutaways)
    - subtle slow motion effects

I use them all the time (as I'm sure many others do too). I really hope this is at the top of Red's priority list for the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lubensky View Post
    Ohhh-kay, how about speeding up car chases - some are shot using 20-22 fps timebase. Or stop-motion effect, usually shot at 3-5 fps. Or falling in a dream/coma shot at 15-18fps with wide-open shutter. I’m not even starting on time lapse, which always were a shiny side of any Red Camera.

Any proper cinema camera should go under 24fps up to 1fps, you might never use it, but sometimes it’s such a thing to have. Most of film cameras can go up to 1fps for a reason.
    Alex, I know what these frame rates are for. I was merely curious about personal preferences of colleagues. Always curious about how fellow artists work. This doesn't apply to you but generally, I would love to see less down-talking on people in the industry. Every now and then I stumble upon terribly arrogant posts as if other professionals don't know anything. Why assume that? Here or elsewhere. Anyways, thanks for your reply. Probably should have framed my question more specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark K. View Post
    I don't know if I've got many examples to hand. They're generally for pretty functional shots:

- getting your smeary, stuttery, Wong Kar Wai-esque, 4-6fps groove on for dreamy looking shots
    one of my favorites!

I'd definitely love the 1fps option most to use it like an old Rolleiflex. The form factor would be just perfect. Of course you can grab a frame from a higher fps clip but I'd like the option to restrict myself, plus my still work is mainly landscapes. Would enjoy this in street too.