Thread: ProRes 60FPS+ Sensor Cropping

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 ProRes 60FPS+ Sensor Cropping 
    Hey everyone! Just got my Komodo today. I also own a DSMC2 Gemini.

I'm hoping to get some confirmation on this, or some clarity.

When shooting Komodo in ProRes, I can choose between 4K, UHD, 2K and HD. I can also choose the sensor format for each of those settings. So I can shoot 4K ProRes at the full 6K 17:9 sensor read out. Just like on my Gemini.

However, I was bummed to find that I could not shoot 4K ProRes 60FPS at a full sensor read out. If I want to shoot ProRes 60FPS, I also need to crop in the sensor, just like if I were to shoot in Redcode. I believe I saw earlier specs stating 4K ProRes up to 60FPS, - full sensor. But sadly, I don't believe that's the case.

On DSMC2, sensor cropping does not affect ProRes frame rates... So I could shoot 120FPS at 4KProRes, but with no sensor crop. This was a pretty great feature, adding some benefit to shooting ProRes. You could shoot higher frame rates without cropping image. I liked being able to leverage that. Obviously I want the .R3D files, but this gave some added value to the ProRes codec.

So, I'm just looking for a little confirmation from others or Red... on Komodo, when shooting ProRes, the higher frame rates are linked to sensor-cropping and not my ProRes resolution? Correct? ... maybe we can have ProRes 4K/60 2K/120 full sensor in future? Thanks!

Komodo's max frame rate at full resolution 6K is 40fps. Says that on the specs page.

Your Gemini tops out at 96 fps at 5K FF for instance and that impacts your ProRes fps. But at 4K FF it does 120 fps.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Thanks Phil! You are right, for some reason I had it in my head that on the Gemini that crop was a factor in shooting higher fps in ProRes. But that goes to show how little I really ever shot ProRes on that camera!

What about spitting out 60p with Look Around enabled, and recording that 4k/60p externally? That was a workaround to get the full 5k FOV off of Scarlet-X (limited to 1080p as that was the camera's max output resolution, but Komodo is 4k output via SDI, right?)...

...Does Komodo have Look Around?