Thread: Red One MX isn't powering up... OH NO!!!

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Red One MX isn't powering up... OH NO!!! 
    Red One MX/SSD

I was having intermittent issues with it not powering on right away while shooting today, but it eventually powered up after a couple of tries.
    I was changing out the Redmag (ejected it properly, etc) put the new Redmag in and the camera powered down. I had a fresh battery on it and tried powering back up with no luck. I also tried a couple of other batteries with no luck. Tried powering it with AC and no luck. Unplugged all accessories and still no luck...

I gave up because we had to move on and just finished the shoot with a Sony a7s ii.

I got home and tried powering it up again without any accessories and noticed there was a clicking noise coming from inside the camera body. It was something that I had heard before when my iMac power supply went out a few years ago. I replaced the iMac power supply and it is still up and running today. Could it be the same issue with the Red One MX?

Thanks for any input!
    Red One MX SSD / Nikon and Xeen Glass

That's my nightmare right there. You definitely don't have anything plugged into the Aux ports, right?

I don't know him personally, but there's a Norway-based shooter here named Kyle Simukka who once made a kind offer to help another RedUser with a R1 problem. It sounds like he collects R1s (his signature says he has four) and is always looking for parts. So without any support from Red, maybe he would be a good person to DM. If he is able to help you solve the problem, I hope you'll share the solution here.

Thanks for the info! I ordered the part I think I need off of eBay. Hopefully it's still in working order. I plan on documenting the process whether it's a success or failure... so stayed tuned!

And no, there is nothing plugged into the Red.

How did this pan out? Was the replacement part the ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Brown View Post
    How did this pan out? Was the replacement part the ticket?
    Unfortunately the replacement power supply board was damaged. I have completely taken the Red apart though. The engineering that went into how it was assembled was cool to see. The inside of the red was completely dust free. I took video and will put something together soon.

Also inside the panel that houses the SSD reader was the assembly date: 12/16/2008
    Last edited by Chad Beaty; 12-16-2020 at 08:23 PM.

They have a you tube video taking the Red One apart and putting it back together. Nice...

Is there a video link already?

UPDATE:

Sorry for the late reply but I just didn't have time to work on it and was using most of my time shopping around for a replacement. This is a somewhat condensed version of what actually went on yesterday and is as to the point as I can make it.

I decided to take out all the pieces (I had it completely disassembled) and try to figure this damn thing out. I started by leaving everything that didn't need to be plugged in unplugged and just starting there with no luck. After much frustration a 2 Red Bulls I noticed a cable going from the power supply board to the sensor board. Did that need to be plugged in? Who knows, so I disconnected it and pressed the power button... and guess what? It booted completely up.

So at that point I knew the issue had something to do with the sensor board. I completely removed the sensor just to be safe. I decided to plug everything else back in (SSD, power supplies, monitor/evf cables, etc) to their respective boards. Now, this Red was a mess with wires and crap just hanging off, but guess what... it booted and I had power to the monitor. Everything worked except I didn't have an image (obviously since the sensor was not plugged in to the main board) but it was on, the fan was running, I could format my SSD.... but without the sensor plugged in, it will not record. I got error messages when trying to do that. It also only displays color bars if the sensor is not attached. Just an FYI.

Now the issue was trying to figure out what the hell could be wrong with the sensor. The obvious next step was to disassemble the housing and look at everything. It didn't take long to see that the lens data cable was pinched pretty bad. The negative wire was pretty much smashed to oblivion. Could this be the reason? Could this little SOB be the reason this machine would not function properly? My guess is that the cord going from the power supply board to the sensor has something to do with the lens data cable. After removing the data cable and plugging EVERYTHING back in to the boards including the sensor and that little cable to the power supply board guess what happened, it booted up and I now have an image. Everything works 100%. It records, it formats, it does everything it did before this mishap but it's still in pieces. The next step is assembling it all back together.

I am halfway thinking about doing a cool paint job or vinyl wrap on the body since it's apart. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Also, there was an orphaned screw inside the sensor housing that went to absolutely nothing. I had always heard something rattling around, but didn't know what it was until now. This is a Battle Tested camera, so maybe someone at Red lost a screw inside at some point during a repair...?

Here are some photos:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n68t70e58w...%20PM.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6q1t1c1muh...%20PM.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ymklyp7an...%20PM.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jn724gn66n...%20PM.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4b59r5sa3...%20PM.jpg?dl=0
    Last edited by Chad Beaty; 02-01-2021 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks for sharing your findings in such detail. This post will probably save a couple of Red Ones...

I reposted this and your photos in the R1 group on FB (hope that's okay). Keep us posted on what you do with decals, etc. I can't believe that no one is talking about this camera anymore. It still has a lot going for it.
    Last edited by Nick_Brown; 02-14-2021 at 02:09 PM.