Thread: Broken Komodo

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Broken Komodo 
    Had my Komodo for just over 24 hours before it quit working. Same firmware it was shipped with - sn high 3,000’s

When it happened I was changing lenses - rf-ef adapter was in place - lens was being swapped.

Powered by two canon bp955 and no media was inserted.

Top LCD screen went black, power light became orange, fans turned on high. Turning the camera off did nothing - after several minutes I disconnected the batteries.

When the camera is powered and turned on the same things happens. Black LCD, orange power light, fans on high.

I’ll be calling support in the morning
    Attached Images

Was the camera powered ON while you were swapping lenses? Is the adapter dumb(mechanical only) or have pins to pass power/comms? Although rare, there were some reports years ago, of people shorting out Canon C300's when swapping out EF lenses while the camera was powered.

A lot of people will argue that it's not necessary, and with the long boot times of RED's, it makes it very unappealing to, but the safest thing to do is always power down the cam when swapping lenses

3. #3 Maybe 
    Camera was powered on when swapping lenses - adapter was the included one - it does have pins... maybe.

Careful kids!

Any rapid intermittency such as from lens contacts brushing across conductive pads or camera batteries being jerked back and forth until they click home has to be hostile to delicate electronics. I would always power down before a lens swap. If using dumb lenses, a thin strip of adhesive tape across the contact pins to avoid any shorting between them and the dumb lens tail should do no harm. That was a lesson learned and passed on by some folks when using the older 35mm groundglass adaptors on some cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher A. Bell View Post
    Was the camera powered ON while you were swapping lenses? Is the adapter dumb(mechanical only) or have pins to pass power/comms? Although rare, there were some reports years ago, of people shorting out Canon C300's when swapping out EF lenses while the camera was powered.

A lot of people will argue that it's not necessary, and with the long boot times of RED's, it makes it very unappealing to, but the safest thing to do is always power down the cam when swapping lenses
    What else? Maybe never take it out of the box it shipped or god forbid something will happen.
    Fist I would check batteries and all what is connected with electricity in it.
    How many photo cameras with EF or RF mounts died from changing lenses?
    Would love to see a set and how everybody reacts when you will shut down the camera for every lens change.
    Last edited by Alex Stolpakov; 12-14-2020 at 02:18 AM.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hart View Post
    Any rapid intermittency such as from lens contacts brushing across conductive pads or camera batteries being jerked back and forth until they click home has to be hostile to delicate electronics. I would always power down before a lens swap. If using dumb lenses, a thin strip of adhesive tape across the contact pins to avoid any shorting between them and the dumb lens tail should do no harm. That was a lesson learned and passed on by some folks when using the older 35mm groundglass adaptors on some cameras.
    Changing lenses when a camera is on is supposed to be normal. I don't think that is the issue since changing lenses on any other camera with EF or RF mount, be it DSLRs or other cameras working with lens electronics, while those cameras are on has never been an issue and they are designed to work with it. This sounds like something else.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

I never turn any of my cameras off to change lenses. I have never had a problem either, from EF, to RF, To Nikon and PL. You have an issue but that is not it. What you describe sounds like the camera going into firmware update...but with no card in the camera that of course is not possible. Support should be able to help you find a way to reinstall the firmware if that is what is up. Good Luck
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Storm Trooper Komodo 0149
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    RED Pro Zooms
    Zeiss Otus
    Xeen CF
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

Camera should not brick from a lens swap. It should not brick from short fusing the pins of the mount or adapter. Thats not according to my experience. Never turned camera of to swap a lens and used the dsmc1 and 2 with pretty much every mount available. Also swapped mount without turning off the camera... maybe thats not the best practice but never had any issues.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Perhaps an actually useful question.

What lens was being removed and what was being put on?
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Haven't powered down a camera for a lens swap in many many moons.
    Scarlet-X 02987 *** Epic-M 00112 *** Komodo XXXXX
    Creative Director for Radiance Film & Digital Cinema 365