Thread: CLAVIUS LENS SET - 28mm, 38mm, 58mm, 88mm

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 CLAVIUS LENS SET - 28mm, 38mm, 58mm, 88mm 
    Hello,

I'm interesting buying a full Clavius full set.

Please let me know if you have it, or if you have any idea how to contact with Richard :)

Thanks so much.

I bought a set a few months ago via his website. Is he not responding to emails?

Thanks Rob!

He has not responded to emails for several weeks.
    Can you send me the contact information you have?

I'm sure the email address you have is correct. Richard just does this from time to time. I think he gets busy in the shop and everything else becomes lower priority...especially answering e-mails. He hasn't contacted me for a few months either, so don't take it personally. He will pop up again. Just keep checking in every couple weeks. You've got to catch him at the right moment :)
    Clint Lealos
    Cinematographer and Photographer

Clint, do you have a Clavius set? I was wondering how the Century Optics wide angle adapter pairs with the 28mm. I hope that Richard will offer that as a complete lens in the future, but wondering if its worth purchasing one of those (and not being able to use a clip on MB) or if I should put in a pre order for an Ironglass 20mm MIR rehouse since that glass isn't too far off from the Helios.

I do own a set of Clavius, and I do have the Century Optics wide angle adapter. I think its worth it if you can find one and are willing to pay $2500 for it. Richard only makes the coupling to go onto the 28mm and I don't think he has plans to make a 22mm. I like that option over the Iron Glass because it matches the rest of the set so perfectly. The Clavius all carry the same Helios 44 DNA throughout the set and Richard sourced some good consistent glass for his WA and tele adapters. Plus, the build quality on the Clavius has stood the test of time and I can vouch for their longevity. Not saying Iron Glass lenses won't, but they are so new that we won't really know for a couple years. With that said, I do like the 20mm MIR, and IG looks to have a sexy solution for that lens...maybe wait and see?
    Clint Lealos

Great discussion!
    Thank you all for the answers.

I've been looking to find a used wide angle adapter. Certainly going to wait and see. At Old Fast Glass it looks like they may have gotten Richard to make a 22mm and 108mm: "We also have a custom modified Century Precision Optics .8x wide angle adapter that makes the 28mm f2 a 22mm f2, and maintains Full Frame coverage! In the near future we will have a dedicated 22mm focal length, instead of the adapter as well as a 108mm f2". I hope it's true because I would love to add those focal lengths onto my set!

https://www.oldfastglass.com/richard...optics-clavius

Yes Rob! My Clavius are at Old Fast Glass. Mark and I both want to get another 28mm so the Century Optics .8 WA adapter lives on it and make it a 22mm. The 108mm is what Richard told us he was working on, but we haven't heard from him in a while despite our best efforts to contact him. When he resurfaces hopefully he'll have a 108mm ready and some 28mm lenses too :)
    Clint Lealos

I shot this test with my Clavius for Old Fast Glass. There are a couple shots of the 22mm in there. You can see all the lenses match perfectly :)

https://vimeo.com/447050300
    Clint Lealos