Thread: Monstro mount compatiblty

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Monstro mount compatiblty 
    Hello monster owners, would anyone know if original Epic Titianim PL mount and Titanium Nikon and EF work with Monster or there is coverage issue? thanks
    Epic-W Helium 8k #6819

Hi.
    I have a Monstro with PL and Nikon mounts.

There is not problem with PL that I have encountered but I am only using a 20mm Sigma and a 50mm Zeiss CP3.

The vignetting on the Nikon appears to me to be lens dependent - not mount dependent. I find vignetting different between 14-24 (some), 24-70 (lots), 70 (slight) - 200 (barely noticeable), 25 Milvus (none), and 600 (slight) but none with 600 and 1.4 or 2.0 Nikon teleconverter.

It will depend on your lenses and even focal length really.

For future readers the exit pupil and flocking area is different for the two different format mounts.

You can certainly use S35 mounts on VV bodies, but in some cases subtle light occlusion, stronger vignetting, bokeh cut off, agressive mid frame gate flare, etc. Can occur depending on the rear of the lenses and how it projects through the port into the sensor.

Overall I strongly recommend going to VV mounts if you are working with VV in a professional capacity.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Thanks Phil! I have Helium and Ti mounts and looking in to getting Monstro in near future so it seams that i will need to switch the mounts as well.
    Epic-W Helium 8k #6819

I have been forced, by design, to use Nikon AF-S Nikkor prime lenses on some of my Monstro 8K projects.

I’ve previously used the Nikon DSMC S35 Nikon mount on Epic-W Helium 8K cameras with AF-S Nikkor primes on multiple array projects with great results.

After upgrading to the MONSTRO 8K VV cameras, I experienced all of the shortcomings Phil has previously described when using the S35 Nikon mount.
    Rolling over my lens and mount inventory to develop array designs around Monstro’s became a problem. I was able to develop a simple conversion to the existing S35 Nikon mount.
    The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20,24,28mm lenses I had previously used with the Epic-W Helium 8K cameras, now lens perfectly on the Monstro 8k VV cameras.

Warning: The conversion does void any warranty on the S35 Nikon mount:-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fo47jhywfe...RTION.jpg?dl=0
    Max Penner

Hey Penner, that's awesome! Can you elaborate on the conversion? (Is it a matter of disassembling the mount, removing the gate/frame, then dremeling away excess PCB?)

I'm pretty sure this will work with the RED EF mount too, as other REDusers have widened the PCB opening to put Focal Reducers in there (that's what I'm intrigued about).

Mike P. <Is it a matter of disassembling the mount, removing the gate/frame, then dremeling away excess PCB?>

Max P. <If one had the aptitude..... the plastic aperture could be removed and properly machine on a mill; then covered with an ultra flat black substrate to prevent reflections, reassembled, and tested.>

Mike P. <REDusers have widened the PCB opening to put Focal Reducers in there (that's what I'm intrigued about>

Max P. < Modifying the EF mount could possibly be less complicated. There are no moving electro-mechanical parts to consider>

Remember… "If you're going to dig a ditch... dig a good one” H.J.P. RIP :-)
    Max Penner