Thread: live streaming from a RED to Facebook

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 live streaming from a RED to Facebook 
    Hi all,

Now I have this idea of trying to livestream interviews etc at shows from my RED One MX live to Facebook or YouTube and after looking around am I right in thinking that this could be done via SDI and a Teradek 225 or newer??

Any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated as this area is very new to me.

Cheers,

Seb

Any device like a elgato cam link should be able to do it via HDMI. I believe you would have to turn off the overlays in the camera and not be recording in camera at the same time as that would drop the hdmi feed to only 720p. Optional would be to do all of the same things and run the feed in your computer through OBS software then enter your youtube key in that software to start the feed. In this case if your system is fast enough you can record a copy in OBS while your computer is sending out the feed to youtube.

I'm not sure if SDI has the same 720p limitation when recording in camera.

I've had good luck with the Aja U-TAP when I've needed to send my F55 through Zoom. Facebook Live and YouTube Live are both also listed as compatible. They have SDI and HDMI versions. It's pretty simple to use, passes embedded audio and handles up to 1080/60p. It's also bus powered off the USB, so no separate PSU to worry about hooking up or losing. And you can actually find them in-stock, now.

Compatible Software:
    https://www.aja.com/compatibility/u-tap

Thank you for the suggestions!

both are amazing information however, I would like to shoot live from my RED on a sholder rig "unplugged" from a laptop.

Is there a way to get a wireless video signal and have it connect to my phone to be able to "send" it to Facebook Live etc?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to get it right first time.

You can stream out of Hollyland Mars series of recievers. Look for it on youtube, it's the easiest/cheapest way that I've found for my Scarlet MX, and they have an SDI solution (mars 400s). The software needed for streaming is OBS studio, have to say it's quite compute power hungry though.

Alex how are you feeding the SDI into the computer/OBS though? Or are you saying use the Hollyland just to go wireless and then feed it into something like the Aja U-tap?

I’d really love for RED to chime in, since their live streams have multiple reds *and* screen stream simultaneously and presumably all from the same computer (by single users at their home during the lockdown). Seemed super functional.

Good question Mike, which is also like the answer too.

I think the AJA U-Tap is a good option for me however, if there was some way to have the video & audio signal sent wirelessly to your phone and then from phone to Facebook, youtube etc that would be great. But I think I'm imagining that at the moment, or technology hasn't got that far yet.

From the sounds of it, Komodo has a lot of that functionality built-in (e.g. streams a live feed to the camera’s IP address, which I presume can be viewed on any browser, including mobile). Still probably a ways off from being enabled, though... and with RED they may scrap the functionality altogether.

But yeah, I have a Hollyland 400s. There’s a delay, which would make monitoring/audio mildly troublesome, but it would be workable. Again, I’m not sure it can be done directly from the 400s TX (even though it does have mobile device streaming to their app).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    From the sounds of it, Komodo has a lot of that functionality built-in (e.g. streams a live feed to the camera’s IP address, which I presume can be viewed on any browser, including mobile). Still probably a ways off from being enabled, though... and with RED they may scrap the functionality altogether.
    Komodo streams via IP, through a browser, or through RED Control via the IOS or Android app version since launch.

You can adjust the stream quality as well which can help with not-so-broad connections. It's a 720p out. Don't know if that particular aspect can be improved to 1080p, but that would be nice.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Dope! And to be fair 720p super35+/~16stops > 4k 1/8"/8stops (or whatever cellphones do) any day of the week. Does anyone know if you can punch in an IP as a video source for streaming apps (like OBS)? If so, "Mr. Hammond, I think we're back in business..." (for Komodo users anyway). Sooner or later, I'd imagine you could connect your Komodo to your 5G phone (as a hotspot) and get pretty decent quality remote connectivity/streaming from anywhere there's 5G.

Back on topic, I'd still love for Jon or James or one of the Solidarity Series guys to do a legit breakdown of their set-up (software and hardware if possible, and the more tutorial-ish the better). Something tells me they spared no expense, but I'm sure between their breakdown and users experiences with cheaper alternatives, there's probably a really solid middle-ground somewhere.
    Last edited by Mike P.; 01-02-2021 at 11:31 AM.