Thread: RED's militaristic branding and marketing.

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    snip: Which is why I stopped taking alpacas to dinner. Ugly eaters, comfy sweaters :)

Is that how the spoon arsenal came about?

Phil: thanks for all the research and great info you provide here. And the evenhanded moderation you provide.

We've probably pretty well exhausted the subject of the thread.

Better days ahead. Take care.
    Save the Sharks

Komodo has about 3-4 stops more DR than the F55 if you're curious. Is 2lbs, 25Wh draw, small, and records actual compressed RAW internally for $6-$7.5K.

I purchased the R5 and enjoy it, but it's not Monstro or even Dragon when it comes to DR. It's a cool camera, but far from a motion picture oriented digital cinema camera. Now if Canon made something like the C70 with the R5 sensor, the world would be set on fire. Similarly if Komodo was 6K 60p or 8K 30p the world would be set on fire. Both of those cameras would be noticeably more expensive however if that's how they manifested. More power hungry to boot too.

As for the other cameras, the BMD 12K is a great value proposition, but I'd take Komodo or Helium over it. Though some of the data and image related issues are slowly being tended to.

On the long stride of features coming to cameras, I'm curious if top tier digital cinema cameras will utilize IBIS. There are pros and cons to the tech that aren't totally suitable. It's freaking useful though, but it can cause issues in other applications that are everyday territory for film, television, and streaming shoots.

Other tech is certainly coming. I'm curious to see what the next big boy camera from RED will feature. I think Komodo is a slight tease of what's to come. Full wireless monitoring and control being as good as it is already in Komodo was a bit of a surprise. I imagine that will be part of the future moving forward. Media is a changing landscape and Komodo also alludes to that. It's not 10 or 5 years ago. We'll see what's next there. Not too worried about AF. Canon and Sony are many generations into it and RED's like barely 2 generations into evolving the tech. Certain that will improve. Lots of voiced wants over the years. Internal ND comes to mind just reading discussion here, but rear ND isn't always the "best" solution as many learn over the years. But it's bloody useful and certainly the integration of how the Motion Mount worked through the camera shows some of the possibilities there. And I'll want that for sure, even though on narrative I'll likely role front of lens filtration more often than not.

Just a note on heavy reliance on AF. It's gotten to an impressive place, but I've had Canon and Sony fail to achieve critical focus or track in the last few months and that's frustrating. And even this mini lidar thingy gets fooled. It's impressive as hell, but when it doesn't work it shows why clearly it can't be relied on purely. Komodo side I've been doing tests combining the in camera focus assist tools with AF a bit. Somewhere there's a solution. Likely a couple of new features can be added into the mix to make everything more cinema and motion friendly. Got a few ideas on that front actually that I should forward to somebody.

It's nice to pick out features from the new cameras, but what is more shocking is people still working with DSMC Dragon or whatever and choosing to do so. Monstro is now 3+ years old and still arguably the king. And we don't discuss things like ProRes recording, dual REDCODE RAW + Intermediate Codec, etc.

We'll have to see. The gears of the camera world are spinning again, though slowly. We'll have new cameras from the big 4 relatively soon. Lots to look out for.
    Great post as always Phil.

I'm really looking forward to where DSMC3 will take us.

Here, I placed an order for the ST Komodo and it was mind blowing how it could match Helium , Monstro and Gemini footage. There were places it was obviously inferior, but it interacted well, and the global shutter and form factor really opened lots of creative possibilities in a big project.

The Komodo impressed so much that at least , from what I know of, 10 of the biggest local production houses have purchased or ordered one. There are TV Commercial Production houses that are switching from Arri to Red because of how impressed they were with Komodo. Its crazy. Red really hit a homer with it.

I'm hoping DSMC3 provides us an option of going modular or Ranger like- two different bodies- ike they are now. The DSMC2 form factor is one of the attributes I like most of my Monstro due to its versatility. As for the internal ND's, Kipertie proved this works and the only reason I still didn't go for it is that I really like my main hardware components to be first party. Its something I stick to since my early camera purchases and has never failed me.

Global Shutter, Higher 8K frame rates ( the bottleneck now is due to media speed and cpu, modern advancements could very well brake this barrier, no?) the same Dynamic Range (seriously is there more dynamic range needed than what we have on Monstro?) and even better color and I'm all set.

Being a Carbon Fibre DSMC2 Owner I would hope for a Carbon DSMC3 but heard Red sold all their Carbon making gear. I love the extra few gains in lightweight as well as the texture of it.

Anyways, challenging times, but still, people demand more and more content, which is somehow reassuring for those of us doing a living with this.

Would love for Vertical Shooting to be a criminal offence, but more and more deliveries are going for this format. I remember RED made a fantastic DSMC Vertical and Horizontal Head. Would love for RED to remake this... Maybe GDU @Jarred Land?

Stay safe everyone. Keep creating!
    Sťrgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio Perez View Post
    Would love for Vertical Shooting to be a criminal offence, but more and more deliveries are going for this format.
    Me too...I have an L shaped mount so I can shoot vertically. I call it my 8K iPhone. Glove and Boots calls it VVS.

Monstro 8K VV 025118 Lena
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Storm Trooper Komodo 0149
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    RED Pro Zooms
    Zeiss Otus
    Xeen CF
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Sutton-Hough View Post
    That doesn't give a creepy mass shooter vibe at all.

Dude you are stupid thats all i can say.People like you is the main reason i want to leave California.You are the TOXIC guy on sets i see..

Have to say I agree with the opening post. And now face masks with skulls on them? This is definitely not a highlight for RED.
    I guess you have to laugh, I mean really...?!

https://www.red.com/red-face-masks-p...ntity=1?size=1

Komodo has about 3-4 stops more DR than the F55 if you're curious.
    Do you have an actual proof of that? Can you provide it?

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Zananiri View Post
    Do you have an actual proof of that? Can you provide it?
    It's been years since I've shot or tested the F55, but testing methods haven't changed. Let me see if there's one laying around in town I guess. It sat around ~14 stops max. With the ways people measure things these days who knows, that might be 11. But I'd say 14 was a good number if you're looking for one.

If there was any validity to testing every camera to date that's still being used somewhere it would be fun to blow a few weeks grabbing all the DR, color response, etc stuff all at once. Short of a consistent shadow box and controlled cave for DR tests it's tricky to maintain consistency for real world tests over the years.

Got a decent round of camera tests coming up for a project mid-year, but I doubt highly the F55 will be in the mix.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by William Long View Post
    Have to say I agree with the opening post. And now face masks with skulls on them? This is definitely not a highlight for RED.
    I guess you have to laugh, I mean really...?!

https://www.red.com/red-face-masks-p...ntity=1?size=1
    I could care less about the skulls - the concerning part is people are buying and using these type of masks routinely. The original idea of not wearing masks in the early days and then cloth masks was that there were not enough n95 masks available even for the front line first responders and medical people to protect themselves and they didn't want the average Joe buying up the small supply.

With the massive levels of infection around the country (and particularly the LA area) people should be using n95 level masks whenever possible.

Cloth masks do little to prevent the spread of the aerosol virus, as the virus is too small. Cloth masks help a little bit because they stop actual spittle and such and they shorten the distance your breath (and therefore the aerosol virus) travels but overall doesn't really protect the wearer or others particularly well.

Half my family are firefighter/paramedics and the other half are medical workers and I can tell you this virus/pandemic sucks (daughter's 34 yo boyfriend has been hospitalized since Christmas and on ventilator for almost 2 weeks with not great chance of survival and certainly heavily damaged lungs and organs if survives)

It's not just the 400,000 deaths, it's the several million survivors that will have serious health issues the rest of their lives.

my suggestion is buy the $35 skull mask and hang it next to your RED hat as a cute souvenir and then buy some N95s to actually use.

PSA over.
    Save the Sharks

Fair point Michael, I agree.

Personally I think the cameras visually looks great, but I do not like names like "weapon" and I dislike the skull. When we got our second Helium I showed it to a female cinematographer and she did not react well over the skull. Some of the names I think are great are: Geimini, Monstro, Dragon. I think the cameras look great otherwise, maybe they could bring in more ideas from Space. I want DSMC3 SATURN!

I think the other manufacturers have improved a lot but for wildlife Red is still the best for what we film. The resolution is great, it is great to have 60fps in 8K, the codec is brilliant. Red has so many features that are really awesome when you need it like HDRx, pre record is also great which is something not all other cameras has.

Still plenty of things that can be improved in the future:
    - Make it possible to verify focus. To verify 8K focus on a flying bird on a 2k screen is very hard. A small zoomed window would be great.
    - Less loud fan. Causes so much problems when recording audio at the same time
    - Better audio inputs
    - Faster Interface.
    - The shadows have a bit greenish tint on Helium that is a bit tricky to get rid of
    - Redundancy with media. I want to have 2 disks written to at all times
    - Being able to delete takes, and trim clips in camera. I can with Canon and Phantom, so hope Red will let us do this too.
    - Less power hungry
    - Internal ND would be great, but we use the Revolva filters which are great so not really missing it that much.
    - More slow motion

Looking forward to when we can film more again, but plenty to edit in the meantime!
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium, Phantom 4K VEO990, Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm