Thread: Increasing flashing pixels

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Increasing flashing pixels 
    Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    I'm not sure if this is just me being better at QC nowadays or something else, but it seems like sensors are getting more flashing pixels nowadays than before? We never needed the flashing pixel counter adjustment in RAW settings on Red files before, but now we have it because Gemini had so many problems with this.

I've also noticed that shows like Queen's gambit and Stranger Things in the last season had major flashing pixels showing up, even very notable at the episodes with lots of VFX where the flashing pixel appears and disappears behind the VFX elements. They stick out like a sore thumb in low-key footage and I'm generally surprised that it cleared through QC.

So why? It's not just Red, I've seen it on many systems. Is this related to the sensitivity of the sensors? Or are they more sensitive to photons from out of spectrum sources? So that sensors are generally more vulnerable to such light? Why is this happening so much nowadays?
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Good question.

Remember Dalsa problem to make a good sensor, then the end of the Aaton Digital Penelope due to the sensor QC. Monstro Dragon having problems doing perfect sensors for VV rocketing the price of the sensor.

Nowadays where FF is groing to be the norm even in the lowbudget market (FX6, A7s3, Mavo...), need for more FF sensors at a lower price... even if manufacturing practices have been pushed to new levels, the QC and design choices could be the compromise? Who knows?

Does Blackshading help? They can change over time (which is why it's recommended as part of prep). Could be anything from temperature to altitude changes. Can you confirm that there are *more* or just that, again, the BS is slipping?

Also don't think Stranger Things was shot on Gemini (DSMC1 Dragon, to Helium, to Monstro, and the next season is all Arri LF.)

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Does Blackshading help? They can change over time (which is why it's recommended as part of prep). Could be anything from temperature to altitude changes. Can you confirm that there are *more* or just that, again, the BS is slipping?

Also don't think Stranger Things was shot on Gemini (DSMC1 Dragon, to Helium, to Monstro, and the next season is all Arri LF.)
    Yes, I'm aware of that, but I've worked with Red material since the first generation of Red One and pixel problems were never a thing up through Dragon. It started showing up after Dragon up until the point of Gemini when it was so bad (which I think relates to it being dual-iso), that Red had to implement the flashing pixel setting in the R3D decode.

I can't confirm anything without other people having the same experience, so if people have seen an increasing number of it compared to Dragon and before that, that would be the confirmation of it.

Season 3 was the one with notable flashing pixels. I could be wrong since I've yet to do a full review of all seasons, but I don't remember much of it during season 1 and 2. But I didn't say Gemini is the only one with it, just that it increased since around after Dragon. But I also mean that all sensors, market-wise seem to start having problems with it around that time and up until now.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397