Thread: Shooting in colder weatheer

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Shooting in colder weatheer 
    Hey guys and gals, question for ya......

I am going to possibly be shooting in colder weather say 28-35F. I want to run a calibration for the sensor so I can keep my T/E status green. My questions is do I first go to the fan settings and change that to say 37C target temp. Then go to the sensor calibration menu and run an auto calibration at the new fan target temp? Also to perform the calibration does the camera have to be at the physical location where the shoot is going to be? Meaning do I have to do the 55 minute calibration on set before we shoot?

thanks in advance,
    Rich

Just run it prior the shoot. I don't know about DSMC2, but on DSMC1 you can't set the target temperature lower than 45C. So basically I just run it in the same conditions (say outside temp is -20C, so in the evening prior to the shoot I do a sensor cal outside, just let the camera run for 10 minutes while recording at the same time, then run a blackshade. It keeps the stress down to do it the day before instead of doing it on the actual set - if anything goes wrong with the blackshade (say you've set the wrong shutter speed or), you won't waste any time on the actual set re-doing it.

Also if the weather is harsh - extreme winds etc, it's a good idea to tape the frontal vent to block the wind cooling the camera even more. Not both vents though! If you have a rain cover or something like that and going to use it - do a black shade with it on the camera.

For mixed situations like outside - interior, the difference is so harsh that you have to do two black shades. You can also do them both prior the shoot, just save them to the media, and don't format it after you've done a black shade (formatting the media also deletes the black shades on it).

Good advice from Alex. Although I wouldn't call 28-35F cold. At those temperatures the camera shouldn't have a big problem maintaining a black shade temp in the lower normal realm.
    Epic Dragon 4470,
    Sony Fx9
    Sony a7rII
    Contax Zeiss Primes
    DanaDolly
    tedparkes@rogers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Parkes View Post
    Good advice from Alex. Although I wouldn't call 28-35F cold. At those temperatures the camera shouldn't have a big problem maintaining a black shade temp in the lower normal realm.
    Haha I read Fahrenheit and had to laugh.
    My first year with my BT Scarlet I took it out at -32 Celcius for a few hours.
    Couldn't figure out why my batteries kept dying ;)
    That was fun. And yes where I live you have no choice but to shoot at weather at even lower temps.
    Just balls of fun up here in Canada :P
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >