Thread: how to adjust olf OLED EVF in IPP2

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Luka Sanader View Post
    thes is so strange! How much id they sale this EVF for? 3000$ or so and yet there is not a user guide. average 10$ hot water kettle comes with a booklet in 5 languages but this professional device has no manual, pats numbers, nothing... strange
    Red has an issue with proper documentation. i have spent so many days with back and forths getting basic information from tech support. then i ask them, why not add this information to the user manual? and they reply, that they will make a note to do that. haha. so much repeated work. so inefficient. (btw, the tech support staff is pretty lovely and patient for the most part. i think they do well at least they keep responding, and usually within 24hrs M-F)

also, the Red DSMC2 oled EVF is $4500(after taxes), but that does not include a cable. the Cable is another $250, and you’ll want a backup, and possibly a different length as an option, so looking at close to $6K once you get an evf mount and all after Cali taxes. Sad, sad, sad, given the image that gets displayed.
    and how little functionality. lol.
    Last edited by James Sielaff; 02-27-2021 at 09:14 PM.
    Ranger Gemini

Quote Originally Posted by James Sielaff View Post
    Red has an issue with proper documentation. i have spent so many days with back and forths getting basic information from tech support. then i ask them, why not add this information to the user manual? and they reply, that they will make a note to do that. haha. so much repeated work. so inefficient. (btw, the tech support staff is pretty lovely and patient for the most part. i think they do well at least they keep responding, and usually within 24hrs M-F)

also, the Red DSMC2 oled EVF is $4500(after taxes), but that does not include a cable. the Cable is another $250, and you’ll want a backup, and possibly a different length as an option, so looking at close to $6K once you get an evf mount and all after Cali taxes. Sad, sad, sad, given the image that gets displayed.
    and how little functionality. lol.
    sound like e easy fix: Sale Ranger wile you can and move to Alexa Mini. part of my biz is 8k and i cant do that. also i have got all my Red gear used but if i have paid 60k for the kit that i have now i would be pissed as rattle snake. I love R3D, IPP2, Monstro and Helium sensors but for the rest i could not care less. with all said i still tink Red is a good bang for a $ and that all inherited issues could be worked around. but buying new Red gear for top dollar, no way!
    Epic-W Helium 8k #6819

Quote Originally Posted by Luka Sanader View Post
    sound like e easy fix: Sale Ranger wile you can and move to Alexa Mini. part of my biz is 8k and i cant do that. also i have got all my Red gear used but if i have paid 60k for the kit that i have now i would be pissed as rattle snake. I love R3D, IPP2, Monstro and Helium sensors but for the rest i could not care less. with all said i still tink Red is a good bang for a $ and that all inherited issues could be worked around. but buying new Red gear for top dollar, no way!
    yeah, i think you are right.

i worked with the DSMC2 Gemini once, and was kind of blown away by the image in standard iso mode. at the time, just before the Venice Mini LF really hit the streets, it seemed like the closest 4K thing to the Alexa i had seen so far.

here is where i messed up. shortly after, the jinni mag issue popped up and red haters came up everywhere, and i thought the Gemini was a fine camera, and why all the hate. So, instead of buying used, i thought i’d support Red with my money.... bad move. haha.

shortly after that, the Ranger Body came out and i thought, well, there is a camera body that is more compact than an Arri Mini, yet is fully featured with all the pro i/o etc. given that and my altruistic thinking of supporting the companies that provide us with tools, i jumped in. i had a point person up until the sale, and then i got ignored. when the guy finally replied i was pretty furious. haha. i shouldn’t have been. but you know when a week or two go by, it gets a little stressing. later i found out about the support tickets and messaging center, and that made getting simple questions answered better. though most of the time i feel a quick phone call would be more faster and better.

when i purchased they told me no discount, because it was their latest and greatest camera body and sensor, but 6 months later when i inquire about the EVF issue, they act like the Ranger is EOL and not likely to get any firmware update. lol. but to their credit, they did give me a free lcd cable. i can appreciate that. like they don’t actually owe me anything other than what they describe the products to be.
    Last edited by James Sielaff; 02-28-2021 at 09:20 AM.
    Ranger Gemini

but yeah, i don’t think the issue is with the OLED evf, i think the issue is with the what the camera body is feeding the EVF.

some weird funky business going on. but it also would not surprise me if they used the cheapest oled screen available. i don’t mind cheap parts, as long as they perform well. i’m paying for the system, not the parts. but the Dsmc2 oled evf is barely passable, but a far cry from how it is described on the product page.

The EVF is an integral part of a camera, so it isn’t like we can just go get a 3rd party one. As much as i’d love to, there are reasons to stick with native parts. wish Red cared about these things, or at least honored the product description. but i am sure we have all signed some user agreement that prevents them from being sued for false advertising. and again, i believe the issue is with the camera body side. they may not be able to send a good signal to the oled. probably some cheap hardware. but could also be lack of engineering expertise. or worse, they just don’t see it.
    Last edited by James Sielaff; 02-28-2021 at 09:24 AM.
    Ranger Gemini

James i doubt that issue is within EVF its just that they decided that we dont need the control over that EVF output. if i would guess, probably there is some hardware limitation within the brain that makes it hard to adjust individual outputs on Pogos. HDMI and SDI... who knows??? if thats the case they should say this to us, instead patronizig us with "you dont need that function" or maby as you said they are super busy and this is on the bottom of the priorities. Look for example 1.8x desqueez mode now there is more and more lenses in 1.8x and people are asking for this all the time.... There is a reason why Arri is so slow on new cameras i guess
    Epic-W Helium 8k #6819

We may be getting in over our heads speculating why Arri held onto the Aleviii for so long, but talking to Arri staff, both here in LA and overseas, they seem to really care about the details and how the gear is being used.

Reduser announces things early, but the actual technical aspects are all pretty hush hush. so it can be frustrating having to test for basic details. and when you get to using the cameras, they are mostly good, but some of the details are funny. i should show you a picture of how the 15mm rod adapter sits on top of the Red Ranger body. it more or less works, but id avoid running a motor and a stiffer lens from it, for fear of it wiggling.

idk, ill stop here, because this is reduser, and i think solutions are better than complaints. was hopeful towards red, since some of the issues seem small and fixable, but im not getting that sense from the company culture after spending time talking to them. i assume they get a million opinions and it all starts to just sound the same to them. Most of the staff in person talks a lot more about how good their cameras realy are, and everyone else is wrong. some truth to that. but also, got to step back and look at that for what it is.

All cameras are good enough to shoot a movie. there is no camera that cant be used in some way to create meaningful content. so, no matter it is a Helium, a VHS camera, BM, or Arri, just figure out how it works. right?
    Ranger Gemini

Really appreciate your views and outlook, Luka! good chatting!
    Ranger Gemini