Thread: Red testamony -First feature in Montreal

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Red testamony -First feature in Montreal 
    Hello gang

Just a little testamony after finishing a feature with the RED.Was the first in Montreal for a long term project . It has been used a lot on commercials music videos and short features.I knew the camera but working in very different conditions for 24 days ,you discover little tricks and hints.This camera has a soul,believe me.

Well we made it without any major issues.Had only 2 takes on 1 CF card with an internal recording error ,but we saw it so no biggie there. Had a few crashes when i tried to do a playback on the RED drive ,but if I unplugged the viewfinder, it would work fine. Sometimes the camera just shut down and rebooted on it s own ,so we just figured she burped or sneezed and it shook her too much...

To eliminate downloading on set since we were under staff because of budget restreints,we had 20 CF cards (8gig)and the Red drive so we could send the cards and drive to the post house and could receive them in the morning to start over.Had a couple of cards in back up but we still had to do some downloading on set to make sure we had enough to start the next day.We had to shoot 6 pages a day sometimes...

The REd batteries did the job in cold weather and rain (2 degrees celcius) even with a zoom control being used the whole time. Roughly 1.5 to 2 hours of runnin.Had 5 batteries...

The only thing that surfaced as a possible issue was focus in low light situations .(for projecting to the big screen ) Here is an example : Slow Dolly-in to a medium side shot of 2 people static ,from 18 to 12 feet distance with a 40mm Ultraprimme T 1.9. You would think nothin biggie there,well I had doubts as everybody.We stuck our nose on the screen with full zoom in on the RED display and 52 inch monitor .Well it was not sharp .They were at 11'3 ,I was at 12 feet on the lens .

Anyways ,gotta wait for the big screen projection.It s been stressful like in the anamorphic days,but without the weight...Pulling focus on this technology has it s own rules.The rhythm is different especially on fast shots were actors or objects are moving straight in at a fast pace. In this effect ,there are also certain limits when using a zoom with a long barrel run ,like the Angenieux Optimo 24-290mm .Had a very hard time I must confess,and I can assure you this wasn t my first barbecue.

When it comes out I ll give ya a heads up so we can all see what can be done with this little beast .

PEace

Eagle eye

Good luck with everything. We finished shooting a feature in Montreal about a month ago - Old Montreal to be exact. Great city!

Guess we were shooting at the same time .Who's the first ? lol

Happy you enjoyed the city .

Here I am in Time Square waiting for my puppy to reboot

Thanks for the post. Is that an FF1? How do you like it?

Read that someone got arrested for just standing on Times Square lately. So obviously you were lucky :-)
    Markus Rave, Frankfurt, Germany
    www.markus-rave.de

Quote Originally Posted by Devine View Post
    Thanks for the post. Is that an FF1? How do you like it?
    Also curious about this.

--

Looking forward to seeing what you accomplished!
    Pierce Cook
    Director - Cinematographer
    Red Epic-X #2375 | Cooke miniS4's (previously the "iPanchros") 18mm, 25mm, 32mm, 50mm, 75mm, 100mm

Quote Originally Posted by Pierce Cook View Post
    Also curious about this.

--

Looking forward to seeing what you accomplished!
    Willytech follow focus. Very modular. Hate or love for focus pullers. Many,many options for mounting in studio or handheld mode.
    I don't think it is still in production.
    Frédéric Chamberland
    steadicam PRO/GPI owner/operator, RED EPIC/ ARRI ALEXA owner,
    http://www.frederic.ca

IATSE, SOA, AQTIS

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle eye View Post
    Guess we were shooting at the same time .Who's the first ? lol

Happy you enjoyed the city .
    Eagle Eye,

You did the first feature shoot with Red with an union crew (AQTIS) in Montreal. First feature with Red was made in july... indie style.

Thaï

First, we have to define what can be called a "feature".
    Melissa Gallant
    Video Assist Operator
    ZAPIMAGE