Thread: Angeniuex 28-70 2.6 Nikon Mount?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Angeniuex 28-70 2.6 Nikon Mount? 
    Hey, guys, I've been looking into this lens for use not only on a RED but also on my D90. How does it compare to the AF-S Nikon 28-70 2.8? I know there is a price difference, but the 2.6 f-stop is intriguing and, yes, let me say this now, I do care about every stop or half stop or quarter stop I can get, more options the better. Another concern is the image quality difference between Nikon lenses, say I use this with the Nikon 17-35 and 80-200, would it look different?

Hi Zack,
    as far I know, the Tokina ATX 28-70 2,6 was build the same (Angenieux gave the license for it). Its maybe easier to find a Tokina for testing. I owned one and liked it a lot when I was still shooting analog DSLR. Just a couple of days ago a guy sold one Angenieux 2,6 on ebay and posted some pictures taken with Nikon D200. The Angenieux seems to be slightly sharper wide open then my Tokina was.
    Cheers
    Marc

3. #3 Angenieux 28-70 2.6 
    I bought one of these about ten years ago in Hong Kong for $1700. It was then and is now one of the sharpest lenses I have in my Nikon arsenal. It is very sharp wide open btw. My only complaint is the old camera driven AF, which is slow. I had to have the lens serviced in France to free up binding in the AF in the wide angle range, and it is still not that smooth. I have tested it on the Red and it continues to be extremely sharp. This would be a wonderful lens if it were re-housed.

Bruce

I used this Angenieux lens briefly a few years ago with still film,and it was outstanding,much better than what Nikon had on offer at the time.
    Things have moved on of course,so it would be interesting to see how it compares to the current offerings from Nikon.
    I believe it was also available with a Leica R and Canon mount.
    Tom.

I didn't test Angenieux 28-70 f/2.6 but did test with

ANGENIEUX 70-210MM FD F/3.5

and

ANGENIEUX 35-70MM FD F/2.5-3.3

One footage is 720p and another is 2K

Purgatory Magazine LINK >>>

Btw, Angenieux did those lenses for Canon FD, Nikon F and Leica R.

Also I like those lenses and color rendering is the same as in Angenieux cine zoom lens set.

Have a look at CROSSING THE LINE, DIRECTED BY PETER JACKSON that shot on RED mostly with Angenieux 24-290 Optimo zoom.
    "There is no point in having sharp images when you've fuzzy ideas."
    Jean-Luc Godard.

Dynamic range is, after all, the measurement between well saturation (photosite blowout) and noise floor.
    Thom Hogan

Lots of these lenses on ebay. In various mounts (Nikon, Canon, Leica R etc.) I set up a couple in Nikon mount for a modified Arri 2c and was impressed with the overall optical quality. Typical Angenieux mechanical quality (at least for their still camera lens series)
    They seem to being going up in price but there are lots of clean ones to be had for between $500 and $1,500.

Here is one that looks nice. The price on this unit is up there but then again so is every thing else from this seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANGENIEUX-AF-28-...C293%3A1%7C294

Also this one focuses cinewise. Others I have seen do not.
    There is an autofocus version for Nikon but the focus direction is backwards.

CHUCK

Belvedere Garden Vienna, Sculptures, Shot on RED1, Angenieux FD 3x70mm f/3.5.

Angenieux, they are all beauty lenses, I like it.
    "There is no point in having sharp images when you've fuzzy ideas."
    Jean-Luc Godard.

Dynamic range is, after all, the measurement between well saturation (photosite blowout) and noise floor.
    Thom Hogan

Any one any updates on how this lens performs the Origional Angenieux, not the Tokina licenced version that is ? mechanicaly, opticaly is it Parafocal ?

Does anyone know if this lens can cover 5K?

It's a full frame lens so it will definately cover 5K.
    "All art is deception."

My DP reel...
    http://www.evingrantdp.com
    360 Cinematography and camera rigs...
    http://www.360dop.com