Thread: Angeniuex 28-70 2.6 Nikon Mount?

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    curious if focus ring has hard stops on tokina?

Yes it has hard stops and the same focus rotation as the Angenieux. Short but very well spaced.

As the person who started this thread (which was a treat to see as I have no memory of it, lol!), I can say that the Tokina 28-70 2.6 is so nice, I bought it twice! It really is a great zoom lens, very sharp and just looks "right", you know? I may just be a fan of Tokina as I have several Tokina lenses now, including a cheap Tokina 19-35 3.5 and a Tokina 80-200 2.8 ATX SD zoom to go with it as well as the "must have" Tokina 11-16 2.8 for S35 stuff. I don't know if I would compare them to other lenses as I find them very neutral in look as I could see them cutting together with any other lens brand, whether that be Nikon, Canon, Sigma, etc., so that is a nice strength if you want to fill some gaps in your lens lineup. Still, as I said, I have two fungus-free copies now, the first I had to clean the inner rear element a little bit as it was either a little dirty when I got it or it might be a maintenance task to keep in mind with these over time. Very much worth it but don't break the bank to get one, it's not going to change your whole world or anything and they show up regularly enough to not be considered rare. To one of the posts before me, I haven't tried a Contax 35-70 so I can't compare but I want to get one of those at some point for sure!

Never tried the Tokina, but the Contax 35-70 is as advertised. I also have the 28-85 Contax which is very nice too. But I like the constant aperture of the 35-70 and it does seem to have a bit of magic. The 28-85 isn't that far off though.
    Steve Sherrick

Recenty I bought an Angenieux 28-70 and a 70-210. 28-70 is great at the price but flares when wide open (One stop down and I am not far from the sweet spot). It really is Parfocal, reasonably sharp and lightweight. This is not a production lens as it has lots of plastic but is really great for personal work. the 70-210 was a cheaper lens and my one suffers from internal flaring when wide open that makes it a little soft. It is parfocal too which means that if I stop down it is a bargain price zoom film lens. They both easily cover my Epic MX 5K sensor.