Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Sensor chart

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Nice chart. :) I think it gets a sticky.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Jarred, I'd like to see how Epic 645 compares to 65mm cinema or even IMAX. I thinking digital Baraka here.

Here ya go...

EPIC 645 is larger than standard 65mm, but smaller than IMAX. EPIC 617 is a bit taller than IMAX and more than twice as wide. Other flavors like Panavision 70 are mostly based on standard 65mm. For Panavision Ultra 70, it's shot standard 65mm with a 1.25X anamorphic squeeze and a delivery aspect of 2.76:1

Sorry, I did these as a quick comparison so they're sensor illustrations for the two film formats. I'll go back and make the 65mm and IMAX show their respective film strip representations sometime soon here. :usd:
    - Jeff Kilgroe

It certainly seems to me that 645 could be printed out to 70mm IMAX with stunning image fidelity. The question is, will 70mm IMAX prints and projectors even be around in the future?

With IMAX moving to their stupid, bogus "4K" digital format, the thing I wonder is: Where can we even screen 8- or 10K footage?

Thanks! I needed something like this. Please also add a 1/3 and medium format still for comparison.
    Writer - Director
    Crowing Lakes.com

Which medium format still type would you want to compare? EPIC 645 and 617 are essentially the same as the medium format still types that often bare the same names; the 6x4.5cm and 6x17cm formats. Then there's 120, 135 and 220 stills. Brook already had 135 still film on his chart above. I'd have to go look up the dimensions of 120 and 220. And they are hardly used these days compared to 645 and 617.

Here's how a 1/2.5" 4x3 digital sensor compares. 1/2.5" seems to be one of the more common sizes these days, actually the same ~5.75mm width, but in a 16:9 aspect ratio. Some cheaper cameras are even smaller.

- Jeff Kilgroe

7.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    Then there's 120, 135 and 220 stills. Brook already had 135 still film on his chart above. I'd have to go look up the dimensions of 120 and 220. And they are hardly used these days compared to 645 and 617.
    Hey Jeff, 120 and 220 are the same size, a 220 ROLL is just longer in the roll for more exposures.

And I dont understand your comment about 120 not being used compared to 645... They are the same thing... you use a 120 or 220 roll to capture 645 frames with ( unless your shooting polaroids ) . And I use both of them all the time.. they actually are still quite popular, albeit a total pain in the ass.

Thanks Jarred... I haven't dealt with medium format film in some time, so I guess I'm all lost and confused, my brain pulling up numbers that I haven't thought about or dealt with in a while. ooops.
    - Jeff Kilgroe

Senior Member Radoslav Karapetkov's Avatar
    Very useful chart.

Thanx Brook and Jarred. :construction:
    EveryOne is the One...

Looks like there's some weird JPEG encoding that happened - the line down the middle got a little messed up at some point. It goes through some of the non-centered formats [Academy] but not some of the centered ones.

I have a chart with 70mm added, but it looks like Jeff already took care of that. The original chart had a few extra formats added with their dimensions and recording areas. If the opportunity presents itself, I"ll post the larger chart.

David, I included 3-perf academy format for its comparison to the RED ONE's 4K recording area. You are correct that it is not a popular format, but it's the RED ONE's closest cousin, so it seemed like a good idea to include it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Allen View Post
    Nice chart dude... after all your good deeds this year, Jim is gonna don a beard and drop a Scarlet under your tree, right?

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com
    Heheh.